Nitrogen Use and Tire Aging | FerrariChat

Nitrogen Use and Tire Aging

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 2dinos, Jan 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I'd imagine this was discussed at some time

If you get rid of the ~21% O2 - - - The logical advantages:

Displace moisture which will reduce tire warming pressure rise
    Displace moisture which will reduce corrosion risks / issues in rim
    Reduce O2 which will reduce corrosion risks / issues in rim

The ~21% O2 in our atmosphere will support slow & fast oxidation ie rust & burning. Soo, will it give any benefit to tires aging out? If tires start do degrade in X years, will using N2 give X+? years? Any data on this? Or anybody care to share any observations?

Even adding one year would be great. Maybe if done when tires are as new as possible? I've come across lots of negative stuff. Waste of $ etc etc. But the F cars are pretty precious, and doesn't sound horribly expensive relatively speaking. Typically we go for the best oils, waxes and don't give it a second thought.

Thanks and Happy New Year !!

2. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    What about the O2 on the outside of the tire? They tend to break down on the outside not the inside from what I have seen.

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Sunlight is hard on rubber!

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Most people wear out the tires before dry rot becomes a dangerous problem. Assuming that dry rot manifests itself at about 10 years and if there is plenty of tread left on the tire at that mark, then the miles driven per year is likely low (2,000 to 4,000 miles per year). An incremental 2,000 to 4,000 miles at the end of the tire life is probably not worth it to most people. An extra year before mandatory tire replacement becomes necessary probably depends on the extra cost of the N2 over 10 years versus ordinary air.

What is the charge for N2 and how readily available is it?

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    There's no reason to pay any upcharge for filling tires on a street-driven car.

BOKE likes this.
  6. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  7. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    I would use helium or hydrogen, since these gases would also reduce the unsprung mass.

8. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Hydrogen, no. As one of the simplest elements, it requires very robust containers and lines to prevent it seeping thru the container walls. This is a major fuel tank problem on hydrogen powered vehicles.

9. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not to mention the isty bitsy problem that hydrogen is highly flammable...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    When McLaren stole the plans from The Scuderia Ferrari, Ferrari had been using nitrogen to air up the F1 tires and McLaren argued they didn't see much reason to do it.

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Re use of hydrogen, see this pic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Molecular hydrogen is touchy stuff. From what I've read, hydrogen powered cars will need H2 to be sequestered, physically or chemically.

T

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Both hydrogen and helium are tiny molecules, as someone mentioned, and tires filled with them would leak like a sieve.

We used nitrogen for tires in the USAF, but those tires see huge changes in temperature and outside pressure on every flight and go from 0-140 knots near instantaneously and from no load to carrying huge weight loads. Not quite the same environment as a car.

EastMemphis likes this.
  13. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I have a nitrogen bottle in my shop for filling shocks and still don't bother putting it in my tires.

Smiles and 2NA like this.
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Small correction (apologies, one time chemistry major! ), helium is an atom. Hydrogen is found in molecular form, H2.
    But, as Taz says, they're very small, I'd guess the smallest among elements in their standard states. Hydrogen diffuses through solids quite easily, assuming it doesn't react first...T

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tom- Affirmative, and I have a chemistry degree. As you said, helium is pretty much inert, which is why it works well in balloons, dirigibles, etc. Just a bit hard to find.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cool. Didn't know you were a fellow Chem major!
    There used to be a large helium "mine" up near Amarillo. Pass more than a few Helium Roads in towns of the Panhandle. Not sure how active those reserves are anymore...T

17. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Nitrogen in a street car is snake oil. But believe whatever you like.

18. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    When Ferrari race team member Nigel Stepney stole the plans from Ferrari and gave them to McLaren (McLaren didn't steal anything, although they were in possession of stolen data - a pretty important difference), the FIA itself revealed through extremely sloppy redaction of the hearing transcripts that Ferrari had been using CO2 in their F1 tires, not nitrogen.

At that time, nitrogen was already pretty commonly used by race teams worldwide for it's dry nature when used, allowing more precise control of hot pressures. The absence of moisture is the only single benefit to nitrogen vs. regular compressed air which contains moisture.

19. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Isn't the earth almost out of helium?

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My understanding from people who are more involved in that area, yes, there is a shortage. Whether it's a domestic or world wide supply issue, I am not knowledgeable enough to say...T

21. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe it is pretty much self-sustaining from radioactive decay underground. If it were that scarce, I would expect that it would be too expensive to use in party balloons.

It can also be extracted from other substances, but I would image that is super expensive depending on economies of scale.

During my days in the oil & gas industry, I recall that the Federal Government would require helium associated with drilling and petroleum reserves be required to be reported annually which was a PIA.

22. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Gordon doesn't CO2 destroy most rubber? When we use seals in Oil and Gas we use different seals, viton, buna, Kalrez etc. depending on the CO2 content since it usually swells the seals

23. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    energy88 likes this.
  24. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    In the broadcast business where high power transmitters are routinely used, the transmission lines, typically 6" in diameter or bigger waveguide, nitrogen is used to pressure the lines because it is dry. The risk of flash over from the center conductor to the outside conductor is unacceptable using any gas other than nitrogen because of moisture. A flash over can cause a fire inside the transmission line and the effects are truly bad.

tomc likes this.
  25. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that nitrogen has no useful purpose...