Where is the F12 love? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Where is the F12 love?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by x z8, Dec 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    It looks good in any color, but white seems to really stand out to me

Il Co-Pilota and mikesufka like this.
  2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jerry he does look familiar but as you certainly agree to keep his privacy the only thing I can reveal is the color of the car…… Verde Seabird…….:)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I love yellow with black wheels. Perfect!

4. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I loved mine and sold it when I got my 812. Wish I had kept it....I think it’s a forever car. Will swap my 812 (which is incredible) for a. GTS when it goes to build and I think that may be a long, long term keeper but hold on to your your f12. There is something really special about that one. It’s a timeless design imho

5. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    F12's are bada$$......Great Cars!

6. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Never thought I would like a green Ferrari but Wow..Verde Seabird F12...WOW!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    1,440hp, x24 cylinders, no turbos, 200mph+, both totally different to drive, first time I have had this pair out together. I think the pinifarina F12 steals the show all day long, and for brutal balls out, nothing else like it, perhaps one of the most demanding cars of its generation, anyone can drive the Lusso (which I truly love and drive every day, kids love it more) Ferrari have almost perfected the F1 systems to the point I am going to have really tune back in to the F12 after 6 months hibernation.....good weather slowly returning, can’t wait, love having to tame a machine, love scary....love the F12.

The love is back... Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ryalex, otakki, 500drvr and 7 others like this.
  8. vroom

vroom Karting

Sep 9, 2007
    Pasadena
    I have a CS and considering a front V12. 550 (being an engaging manual and beautiful design), 599 (great price point for driving driving to work 3 days wk to work) or an F12 ( nice design, ok price, many improvements & much more modern than 599). I have heard of concerns of the DCT reliability in the future, the F12 I’m considering needs the front air spoiler to be replaced, instrument binnacle leather replaced, rear leather pulling away in hatchback, and has swirl marks on paint. Any feedback from owners greatly appreciated! Thanks

9. Maloja

Maloja Karting

Oct 19, 2016
    #59 Maloja, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    I own a V12 GTC4Lusso and upgraded my F12 to a 812 SF recently. I can only heavily recommend that you look also into the currently depressed 812 SF second hand market due to various known reasons ( i.e. 812 GTS, overproduction etc.) . This car is just in every dimension such an improvement compared to the great and timeless F12. Two days ago I was with my son testing the machine heavily again on the same mountain path road we used to drive with the F12 in the last years. My son could not stop smiling and laughing of joy and many people we passed where cheering and showed the thumbs up while passing.
    No doubt, the 812 SF is so much more agile ( 4-wheel steering!), controlable, modern (comparable to the massive upgrade from FF to GTC4Lusso) and the gearshifts are much quicker and even more fun. Last but not least the sound of the machine is even better especially also on lower rpms than in the F12. Combined with a capristo valve control device you would even have all the time the best of all worlds in terms of drama even though this device is not even really necessary.

At least the price delta in Europe from what I can see between 812 SF and F12 has become much narrower. I think many F12 are still way overpriced which makes it even more interesting to look directly into the 812 SF space imho. With the unfortunate corona virus impact I witness even more 812SF coming on the market and many of them brand new! Important is just to get a model year production which will not have the mandatory GPF filter yet. This filter is just killing the glorious Ferrari V12 at least in the lower revv range from what I have heard and read.

I really loved my F12 very much and could firstly not imagine to trade this car in for a 812 SF as I tought there can not be really such a big difference which would justify the price delta. I was wrong and lucky me I have done it. I have never regreted it one second so far!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

812_fm, Caeruleus11, johnr265 and 3 others like this.
  10. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I drove an 812SF...was totally in love with it, mind-blowing machine! But...didn't want to spend to premium over an F12 at this stage, the 812 is such an expensive machine!

So I guess whenever you are in the market for a frontend V12...its budget that defines what you can get...550, 612, 599, F12, 812. 550 and 612 being relatively 'old' cars, except the 612 One-to-one which apparently is a much better car. 599 is not as 'brutal' as the F12...and 812 still very expensive.

So for me, the F12 was the 'most value for money' car in the range when I looked at it last year. I love the styling! It is mind-blowing fast. Its brutal. I love it!
    You can't go wrong on an F12. I didn't go for the best value proposition, as I bought a high end F12...2017 model...too expensive.

...and my idea has always been that there is still the option to upgrade to 812 later in time.

Time will tell.

11. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    for me if 812 and F12 were same price and same warranty i would choose F12 any day of the week.

x z8 likes this.
  12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    #62 Thecadster, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    As a current owner of a 812, and a previous owner of a F12, I find this statement incredulous. There is nothing the F12 does better than an 812, other than, for some, “looks”. The 812 somehow takes automotive perfection and makes it even better. I could go on and on about all the improvements (I have before, run a search if you like).

Something that might settle the debate once and for all, has anyone departed the F12 for a 812, only to run back into the arms of the F12? I don’t seem to recall that ever happening. Now clearly many chose to stay with their F12 (which, it needs to be mentioned, is a magical car) for a variety of reasons, including the aforementioned “looks”, but also I am sure that price walk played a role for some.

Curious @colonels, how much seat time do you have in both cars?

13. Maloja

Maloja Karting

Oct 19, 2016
    The looks is always a question of individual taste and therefore highly debatable. In my case, at the beginning I also had the conviction that the F12 looks better, is more cleaned up, last Pininfarina design and what have you. Nowadays I would call the F12 more classy compared to an 812 but the 812 just looks much meaner and much more aggressive representing the ultimative driving machine with 800 HP which is supposed to look like that!

Besides the individual taste of the looks there is just no comparison between the cars in terms of handling, technolgy etc.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

812_fm, Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    812? Outstanding in every way, a superlative achievement and a much better car. F12 is still a wonderful car though.

15. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    I own an F12. Never driven 812 so you have 1 valid point. But I will never own a car that does not appeal to me visually regardless of how fast or wonderful it drives. To me the 812 looks like a bullet twisting in the wind. The side strakes look twisted and unbalanced. The lines don't flow for me. I've no doubt it's a superior drive to the F12 after all it is the successor. And I don't care one bit.

16. Maloja

Maloja Karting

Oct 19, 2016
    „....812 looks like a bullet twisting in the wind...“

This is a very good description I was looking for. The rotation happens usually automatically with very fast objects on earth and also in outer space, therefore I think it is suited to describe the shape of an 812 as well.

Caeruleus11 and ANOpax like this.
  17. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    It wasn't meant as a compliment lol. The side strakes remind me of bullet rifling grooves just like the twists you see when you wring out a wet towel by twisting it to get the water out.

But hey I also won't drive a car with blacked out wheels either so it really is a matter of taste.

500drvr and dustman like this.
  18. Maloja

Maloja Karting

Oct 19, 2016
    Well, I was not that serious myself but rather tried to spin your comparison in a positive way in favour of the 812 .

Anyway, taste is always subjective in the eye of the beholder and it‘s usually additionally biased by the position who is talking, which makes discussions cumbersome anyway.

19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I get it. Can’t argue taste. Some prefer brunettes, I like blondes. To me, the F12 is at the part of the cycle where it’s maybe showing it’s age just a little. The 599 did the same thing for me, but now it’s making its way back. I am starting to really like it again. I wonder though, have you driven the 812? I think you would be astonished. Might end up being the supercar equivalent of a butterface...you might be willing to look past its face for all the other pleasant things it does for you.

812_fm, Caeruleus11 and Maloja like this.
  20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I adored my F12 (still do), and posted many negative comments about the looks of the 812 when it came out.
    Then one day I drove the 812, and my perception changed in seconds.
    The 812 is dynamically vastly superior to the F12 in every single possible metric, including subjective driving pleasure. So much so I’d liken it to 458 over 430.
    With my appreciation for the car my view of its nuanced beauty has also appreciated, though I still like a-pillar back on the F12 better. I think a-pillar forward on the 812 is superior.
    F12 is a screaming deal and a great intro to the magic of V12 Ferrari’s, which truly are a different world from the V8s.
    Drive an F12 for a few years, get hurt less on depreciation because of where it is on the depreciation curve, then trade for 812....great way to approach it all.

812_fm, Caeruleus11, ANOpax and 3 others like this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Man, me too. Ive been staring at this silver one with the HGTE package. If I find the right car I may just add it and keep for a long time.

Thecadster likes this.
  22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have crossed 1,000 miles in my 812, what a fabulous car. All the other comments are right about the car. Objectively its superior to the F12, as it should be. But it is the degree of improvement that is shocking. And the joke of course is the name- but the funny thing is, it really is "super fast". This is a car that will make a mockery of your sense of speed, but it does it in a very endearing way. Because of the fast revs, the lack of feeling of inertia with the revs, the smoothness, all the usual V12 qualities, but they are magnified. And the sound is out of this world. I cannot believe the car is legal with the standard exhaust system- it sounds so good- and it is definitely loud. I took a friend for a drive and we came back home and I was able to rev the engine in the drive way for him and we were astounded at the volume and quality of the sound.

812_fm, johnr265, day355 and 4 others like this.
  23. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I would like to make a comment about the superlatives shared about 812....one of the reasons the 812 is a mind-blowing machine is they could start further development already at such enormous high level with the F12 as a base.

F12 is an incredible machine to start with and imo part of the reason the 812 can perform at such high level today. The cars really have the same DNA.

MDEL, ANOpax, Zeus 1 and 2 others like this.
  24. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    i've read that the 812 is much more usable and safer while the F12 always felt like it was going to kill you if you pushed it. that reminded me of this clip where Jeremy describes it exactly on a scuderia. always made me laugh, so enjoy!

25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So I definitely feel safer in my 812 than I did in my F12, which is both good and bad, I suppose. Way more planted, not nearly as much float and roll. Another contributing factor to the feeling of security in the 812 is much more advanced traction nanny’s. Oddly enough, it feels both more and less restrictive at the same time. If that makes any sense...

italiafan likes this.