Last minute New Year's Day drive West LA - Newport Beach | FerrariChat

Last minute New Year's Day drive West LA - Newport Beach

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by tommydogs, Dec 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    For anybody not getting completely plastered on New Year's Eve and looking for something to do the next day, I was planning on leaving West LA around 10:00 AM and taking a leisurely drive around the coast to lunch at the Rusty Pelican in Newport Beach. Then freeway drive back home. Anyone interested, please let me know.

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    How was your drive ?

As our 7th(?) annual “Welcoming the New Year at sunrise vintage drive & hike”, we did +/-150 mile tour from Palm Springs to Joshua Tree Nat’l Park south entrance, cruise through the Park and returned to P.S. via Yucca & Morongo Valleys. Started about an hour before dawn, took attached photo (& others) at sunrise in the Park, got back to P.S. by checkout time, after which missus drove her daily driver straight to home, while I took the longer, more scenic and thrilling (to drive) route (Hwy 74) over the San Jacinto Mountains.
    Racked up +/-260 miles (+ another 60+ miles to get to P.S. on Tuesday) of pure analog driving pleasure in a 88 year old ride with 65-70 running gear & technology.

Happy New Year.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

tommydogs likes this.
  3. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    New Year’s Day was a great day for a drive. Traffic was pretty good and the weather was great. I went in the opposite direction. Newport Beach on PCH down to through Laguna, Dana Point etc. to San Clemente. Lunch at Nick’s and repeat in reverse. Lots of people on the beach and great surf. Nice!

TTR likes this.
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Forgot to add that ours wasn't "Last minute" decision.
    We've done similar extended (pre-planned) New Years Day sunrise drive/hike trips for close to a decade now, though last 6 or seven in a vintage, open car and hope to continue the tradition for many more years/decades to come.

5. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Well, due to a combination of unexpected company that kept me up later than anticipated, and no responses on the drive, I quietly postponed it until this Friday

6. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Tommydogs, if you postpone it to Saturday or stay the night, every Saturday morning about 7 to 9 we have a pretty neat cars and coffee in Crystal Cove (just before Laguna). Lots of Ferraris, Porsches, a few Lambos, GT40s, Panteras, Cobras, Healeys and old Vettes. Much more old stuff than new stuff. Last week there was a Daytona, Countach, Pantera and 63 split window Vette, all showroom condition. Usually about 40 cars or so. Lot of interesting guys.

7. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    So what was the 90 year old car with a 1960s running gear? Sounds like a little deuce coupe. ;)

8. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Thanks, don't think an overnight stay in the OC will be in the agenda for me in the very near future, but that's great to know for the next time I have a lazy trip down south in the works. Sounds like a really interesting meetup that I would love to attend.

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    If you take a closer look at picture I posted, it (1932 Plymouth Sport Roadster with early-‘50s running gear) is in it. :)