Optima red top 34R battery NOT recommended | FerrariChat

Optima red top 34R battery NOT recommended

Discussion in '360/430' started by f355spider, Dec 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Optima red top used to be awesome years ago, but no longer. Often a single deep discharge will kill it, and many times they suffer short life. Red top is oem installed in 430 Scuderias and 16Ms. Ferrari even uses a special battery tray that is a custom fit for the Optima red top. To use something else requires replacing the battery tray with one from a regular F430 at a cost of several hundred dollars of course.

My 430 Scuderia is on its second red top, from reviewing records, and is about 6 years old and was testing as borderline failing. I ordered another red top, as I didn't want to mess with replacing the battery tray. While removing the old red top, what do I find? Its freaking leaking! (appears to be venting out the two black foam things on the top) Something obviously was failing to cause it to leak out the vents. Another reason red top sucks. I cleaned up the battery tray best I could with some baking soda, but it is permanently etched. Fortunately it did not migrate below the tray onto the chassis or frame. Being a glutton for punishment, I went ahead and installed the new red top I ordered recently online.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I don't buy it anymore. Just the Interstate one now.

SoftwareDrone and f355spider like this.
  3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
  4. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    So no red top. What’s an alternative? I see interstate up top. Is there a model number?

5. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #5 f355spider, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Interstate, I believe the group 48 AGM fits better than the 34R (there is a thread on Fchat discussing that a regular 34R battery is a tight fit). Note that the Optima red top is rated at 800CCA and the Interstate group 48 is rated at 730 CCA. The Interstate group 34R is rated at 800CCA. The Interstate group 48 AGM is top rated by Consumer Reports recently.

With either 34R or 48, you will need to replace the battery tray in a 430 Scuderia or 16M (if delivered in North America) to a standard F430 battery tray, as the Scuderia/16M version (for NA) is sized with cut outs to specifically fit the Optima. Looks like this is the part
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/430-group/f430-05-08/battery/67943100-battery-bin.html

vraa likes this.
  6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Or if you go with an F430 tray, consider an H8 40Ah Antigravity lithium ion battery. Much lighter than a lead-acid/AGM battery at around 18 lbs., to a regular battery at 48 lbs. or more.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Sky Hye likes this.
  7. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

What battery tender do you use?

8. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is EXACTLY what I was going to say.

9. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Can you use/charge it like a normal batt?

10. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    As long as your charger supports lithium

And you're cool with the price

Need4Spd likes this.
  11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    First few years a Granite Save a Battery, but been using that on my BMW now. The past couple years I have used the Griots Garage Battery Manager IV. Both are compatible with AGM, and the Griots actually has a specific charge setting for AGM that it defaults to, which means it is always on that setting when I plug it in.

13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, but the battery tender used for a lithium has to be one of two types. Either specifically made for charging lithium, or a standard type microprocessor controlled battery tender. By standard, I mean one that does not have "anti sulfation" or other type special charge settings. It simply charges the battery then goes into a float mode, nothing else. No temperature compensation, etc. I believe the reason is lithium chemistry is more sensitive to the higher voltage applied by such things as temperature compensation, anti-sulfation and the like. If you read up on lithium car and motorcycle batteries, the manufacturers give warnings about this, and how to charge. I used to use a simple "wall wart" 1 amp microprocessor charger for my lithium motorcycle battery...but all the warnings scared me into simply purchasing a dedicated lithium specific "wall wart" charger from Deltran. ;) It's been five years now, and the battery still works well...though has lost some compacity when I load tested it recently. I usually only get two to four years max with a standard flooded cell battery on my motorcycle I have owned for 33 years. So the lithium is working out to be a good value for this application

14. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

I agree that what you purchased should work for the AGM. What I am suggesting is that for whatever set of reasons.....the charger overcharged the battery and caused it to fail. I have seen this too many times on boats where the charger just cooks the AGM batteries and causes them to leak out the vents. The composition of Optima batteries is really no different than other AGM batteries. There are no electronics in them to prevent overcharge. What happened to one battery type can happen to another unless it is an internal cell failure. An internal cell failure can cause the charger to think it is undercharged which in turn will cook the battery.

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Since all of my battery tenders are microprocessor controlled to prevent over charging, then yes, it is possible there was internal cell failure of the battery that caused the battery tender to over charge. Fine, further proves that Optima red top batteries suck. :)

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The battery trays are easily made to fit conventional batteries. Done it a few times because for at least the last ten years I refuse to service, or install Optimas. To me they are only trade in material.

f355spider likes this.
  17. driller1

driller1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 14, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have used an Odyssey battery in several of my cars, including my 430. They are an AGM sealed battery, I have one that is 5 years old and has been fine.
    Just be sure to use a maintainer that recognizes AGM, as they require a slightly different charge cycle.

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Optima made good batteries in the olden days, but then Johnson Controls bought them and moved production to Mexico. Have not been worth a bucket of warm spit (to quote an old VP) since.

19. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Which battery do you recommend? Forgot what the brand was but I got 7 years out of the last battery keeping it always connected to a Ctek.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Conventional name brand. Pick one.

Gumart1 likes this.
  21. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Got it. What ever fits makes sense. Thanks.

22. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    So Optimas are the Range Rovers of batteries?

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Good idea but just like the Chevy Vega, Johnson controls decided to make it cheap.

The same aluminum treating process Mahle developed and made millions of pistons and liners that last a very long time Ferrari 4 valve motors from 83-95, Chevrolet bought the rights to and did on the cheap. They are still living down the Vega.

Mahle has never since sold the rights to make it to anyone else.

24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Consumer Reports top rates the Interstate AGM batteries

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If I lived by Consumer Report ratings my life would be full of bad decisions.

INRange, KC360 FL, CarbonDan and 2 others like this.