Who should replace Vettel? | Page 26 | FerrariChat

Who should replace Vettel?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Jul 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Who should replace Vettel?

1. Alonso

2. Rosberg

3. Button

4. Barrichello

5. Other (please mention)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Oh, come on, Camilleri (not "lieri") is a mere high level employee. If John Elkann and Piero Ferrari decide they want Verstappen, that's end of the story. And let's be honest, in motorsport almost everybody tries to find an advantage, whether or not within the rules... If you are not caught, it didn't happen.

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

"Gio" needs more progress it appears. Not suitable to replace Vettel it seems.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrari-want-to-see-more-from-giovinazzi/

Mattia Binotto has said Antonio Giovinazzi could become a Ferrari driver, but needs to show more improvement with Alfa Romeo in 2020.

Giovinazzi returned to the grid in 2019 to partner up with Kimi Raikkonen, but had a slow start back to life as a Formula 1 driver with just one points finish in his first 13 races.

But, the Italian did put together a stronger second half of the campaign which culminated in a P5 finish in Brazil.

With one seat potentially becoming free at Ferrari for the 2021, Binotto still wants to see more from his junior driver if he is to put himself in contention.

“At the moment it is too early to talk about it,” Binotto told Gazzetta dello Sport about Giovinazzi’s chances of joining the senior team in 2021.

“We had a positive discussion with him because he did show signs of growth throughout the year and remember it was two years since he competed.

“In the second part of the season he was often very close to or ahead of Raikkonen. I believe that the mistakes or difficulties he had in races at the beginning of the season very slowly went away. So he’s growing.

“Antonio can be a Ferrari driver, but let’s see how he develops again in 2020. If I have to judge only on 2019, then no [he is not ready]. We need to see a further step.”

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    And furthermore: he is Italian. Makes the difficult challenge of being a Ferrari driver even more difficult...
    Rgds

william and DF1 like this.
  4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I think Giovanizzi is still at Sauber just because Ferrari wants to have a spare driver around there, just in case. He´s their Kvyat, very unlikely that they promote him, just keeping the seat warm for Shwartzman or whoever comes behind.

5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Absolutely
    They firmly hopes schwartzman will deliver,
    They perfectly knows Mick Schumacher and giovinazzi aren't enough skilled to deserve a Ferrari seat

DF1 likes this.
  6. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I vote Max. Second choice is Russel.

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ferrari over thinking this

Just switch Vettel with Kimi

Simples!;)

8. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Damn... people really voting Alonso like they feel he will return...:D

9. DF1

Pathetic lol - so the 4X WDC needed help lol! Key??? To what?? Gifted win while overrall he know Charles was much better!

Ferrari: Letting Vettel win F1's Singapore Grand Prix was key

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/147727/ferrari-letting-vettel-win-in-singapore-was-key

Ferrari Formula 1 boss Mattia Binotto believes it was right to let Sebastian Vettel win this year's Singapore Grand Prix to boost his confidence and his trust in the team.

Vettel was running in third place in Singapore, behind team-mate Charles Leclerc and Lewis Hamilton, but pit first to undercut the Mercedes driver.

The early stop inadvertently allowed Vettel to get ahead of poleman Leclerc as well, and Ferrari chose not to force the four-time world champion to let Leclerc back through as Vettel moved clear in traffic and Leclerc was caught by Red Bull's Max Verstappen.

Though Vettel made errors through the 2019 season, instead of leading Ferrari's title charge, Binotto said he should be praised for how his form improved in the second half of the year, which included the breakthrough win in Singapore.

Binotto said Vettel, who he called a "key driver" who is "central to our project", benefitted from ending his win drought but also the knowledge that Ferrari's wish to prioritise the team's result could help him too.

"He has been uncomfortable with the car at the start of the season, certainly with the braking instability," said Binotto.

"I think the challenge [of Leclerc] for him has been a good benchmark as well because having such a fast team-mate gave him some headaches.

"In order to improve himself, he's always very analytic. He approaches the exercise, he's not emotional in that respect, he's looking at the data, to compare the sectors, looking where he's eventually slower or faster.

"In the first part of the season, he has been put under a lot of pressure. I think he reacted very well in the second half.

"The victory in Singapore has been key for him, not only for the victory itself but the trust in the team.

"He knew that he could count on the team for help, if necessary.

"But I think it was right, it was the right choice and time to let him win."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari improved in the second half of 2019 and Singapore was in the middle of a run of six consecutive pole positions for the team, which had a controversial power advantage but also seemed to improve its aerodynamic performance.

ingegnere likes this.
  10. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yeah, it was the key to preventing Leclerc from being the first driver to win his first three Gran Prixs in a row since Jim Clark, I believe, and further relegating Vettel to the number two position.

ingegnere and DF1 like this.
  11. DF1

Add a Bahrain win and Singapore and the record of Charles to Vettel makes Vettel absolutely look amateur in comparison LOL. Its bad and very.

Nembo1777, ingegnere and Giallo 550 like this.
  12. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not to mention Ferrari forgetting Leclerc existed during the Monaco qualifying and the points Vettel cost him in Brazil.

ingegnere likes this.
  13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Just when I think Binotto is smart enough or competent enough to lead this team out of obscurity, actions like these - pampering and giving in to the fragile ego of washed up Vettel - shows that he doesn't have the ruthless edge that a winning team director needs to have.

Also the fact he either can't recognize Leclerc's talent or doubts he's better than Vettel betrays a lack of racing judgment which will result in Ferrari always being a step behind the more astute and forward- looking teams.

Giallo 550 and DF1 like this.
  14. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'm willing to give Binotto one more season. He can't exactly say it how it is because Vettel is still needed to try for the Constructor's next season. It will be interesting to see who Ferrari hires as his replacement, as I can't possibly see him being resigned.

william likes this.
  15. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    He doesn't have what it takes to run a team. That article shows that he's still pinning his hopes on Vettel despite mountains of evidence that SV doesn't have what it takes to deliver championships. They'll be #3 in WCC next year and SV will still be out there making dumb mistakes and whining and blaming the team.

16. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I'm speechless. What an absolutely idiotic statement by Binotto.

17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I really hope Binotto isn't believing Vettel broken mindset could be cured.
    It's over for Vettel ( as interlagos proved that clearly again)
    I guess Vettel is there to teach some differents things to Leclerc helping him to grow faster but that's all I fear .

18. DF1

Charles needs little from Vettel now. Early in the season yes. Vettel is in the way overall.

william and 375+ like this.
  19. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    TurboFreak650, william and DF1 like this.
  20. DF1

A historical alterantion of Vettel's history vs Ricci I think LOL! https://www.planetf1.com/news/vettel-i-can-beat-anyone-in-formula-1/

Sebastian Vettel is confident that he can beat anyone on the grid, saying that winning and fearing opponents “don’t go together”.

The German was beaten comfortably by Ferrari team-mate Charles Leclerc in 2019, and it was the first time that he lost to a team-mate since 2014 when Daniel Ricciardo got the better of him.

However, he disagrees with claims that he struggles to cope when faced with strong competition from across the garage, saying that he wasn’t outperformed by the Aussie that year.

“I don’t see it that way at all,” said Vettel to German publication Motorsport Magazin.

“I understand that people refer to 2014. I lost on paper and it’s fair to say that because the numbers say I lost to Daniel, but I also know that in 2014 some things did not go as we hoped they would.

“My primary goal in 2014 was not to stand on the podium or to finish fifth. My goal was to win races. Perhaps my attitude at that time was slightly different from Daniel’s, but more than that, 2014 was not a great year.

“I don’t want to say that I was out of luck, but I was let down a few times, the car didn’t work as it should and so on. That may distort the picture and the numbers.”

The 32-year-old’s struggles in 2019 have led to many believing he’s past his best, but he still feels he’s the best on the grid on his day, saying that it wouldn’t make sense not to.

“It’s important that I know how the year went and how I feel about it,” Vettel added.

“I witnessed Daniel’s success in 2014 firsthand and as his teammate. I still do that, I have no problem with that.

“But I’m also confident that I can beat anyone who drives out there. I’m not afraid of the competition.

“The contrary would make no sense. If you want to win and fear competition, these are two things that don’t go together.”

21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, Binotto is not saying that Vettel was given that win, but that once they had it in 1st they didn't ask him to give it to Leclerc. Something I don't disagree with: Vettel's morale is already unstable enough and at that point of the season it didn't matter who was 1st and 2nd.

Also I think that Vettel was faster int last stint and unlapping, so the win was not undeserved.

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    https://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/f1-stampa-tedesca-ferrari-vuole-discutere-il-rinnovo-con-vettel/

La prossima sarà una stagione molto calda sul fronte mercato. Molti piloti, soprattutto tra quelli che occupano i sedili dei top team, andranno infatti a scadenza al termine del 2020. Tra questi figura anche Sebastian Vettel.
    Questo inverno la Ferrari, in base alle indiscrezioni dalla testata tedesca Motorsport-Magazin, vorrebbe iniziare le trattative di rinnovo con il quattro volte campione del mondo dopo aver ufficializzato l’estensione del contratto di Charles Leclerc fino al 2024.
    Nonostante questa possibilità, la scuderia del Cavallino continua a valutare anche altre ipotesi. Tra cui Lewis Hamilton, anche se nelle scorse settimane la pista che porta all’inglese si sarebbe raffreddata. Qualora la Ferrari non dovesse trovare un principio di accordo con Vettel, dirotterebbe le proprie attenzioni su una seconda guida.
    Da non escludere in tal senso la candidatura di Antonio Giovinazzi, in base anche al suo rendimento con l’Alfa Romeo alla sua seconda stagione nel Circus.

According to this paper, the favored successor to Vettel for the Scuderia is nobody else than Sebastian Vettel. They hope to start the discussions soon, and to close as soon as possible.
    However, I have my doubts; this is said to be from a german magazine, but:
    1. nobody among the most established sources has cited it this morning;
    2. they say that there is also the Hamilton hypothesis or Giovinazzi; surely there must be other candidates before Gio?
    I wonder if the original source hasn't simply elaborated, without any new fact or information, on the Scuderia's recent declaration saying that they want a decision to be taken after Barcelona, on the basis of the five first races of the season...

That being said, Christian Horner recently said that everyone is getting very excited nowadays because the contracts of the Top Guns expire at the end of the season, but he is of the opinion that, after the usual scuttlebutt, nobody will eventually change team in the end.

Rgds

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    #648 375+, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Though Horner was blindsided when Vettel left RBR for Ferrari so take that with a grain of salt.
    I can't see the point in signing Vettel beyond this season. Danny Ricc would be my choice.

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    ...and he also was slightly surprised when said Daniel Ricciardo left RBR for Renault...
    As I wrote above, I have my doubts about the seriousness of the information, but as it was published, I felt I had to put it here nevertheless with a "caveat"...if the Scuderia really wants to keep S.V, then we shall say that "they must have their reasons"...

Rgds

375+ likes this.
  25. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Only at a very very substantial reduction in salary. He no longer has the standing to command so much versus Leclerc. Could they (Ferrari) be that stupid? Sure hope not, and I don't see Vettel staying if offered so much less if he really feels he is top dog.