F8 vs 488 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

F8 vs 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hendry2019, Oct 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Are you considering F8 or keeping 488/458

1. Definitely going for F8 and will never look back

32.0%
  2. Yes, but I have to test her first in order to decide

5.3%
  3. Yes, but will wait till I see her in the street and check the reviews

5.8%
  4. No, she is not in my Radar!

22.3%
  5. No, I am happy with what I have now. But maybe in the future, who knows?

36.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Good, time to move on to the next platform!

Gh21631 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  2. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Wow...great news for Pista owners.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  3. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Seems like this is in the wrong thread, but no F8VS would make perfect sense because the only option would be to put into F8VS the SF 90 upgraded engine without the hybrid technology. The 4 L without the hybrid technology would seem to put it at odds with new EU standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    F8 turned it a faster lap than the 720S in Autovisies super test. Only caveat is the F8 had carbon wheels and the 720S had the heaviest wheels. I think though it’s safe to say the performance of the cars will be near identical. Considering the gap between the 488 and 720S Ferrari really stepped it up.

F12JAJ likes this.
  5. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just found the video:

Sounds pretty good to me on the inside, and quite frankly thats all I care about.

wrs likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Did you get a chance to drive the silver demo car they had locally? I think the sound of the car is just fine. It was quick and responsive. A home run by Ferrari on the F8. Good improvement over the 488.

Coincid and jim g like this.
  7. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I did drive the silver car, but did not push it at all.... so didn’t take in all of it’s potential.

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Huracan EVO beat the F8 time by 1/3 of a second and the 720S by close to a second.

9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Frankly I find all these times rather meaningless where the cars being compared were driven by different drivers on different days. It's also not as if 99.999% of the owners would be able to replicate the times anyway.

All these cars are more than fast enough and relatively close in performance comparatives so it comes down to personal choice and what each owner expects over the period of their ownership.

If these cars were tested same driver same day I bet it would be a toss up between either F8 or 720 taking first place with the Huracan placed last.

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #110 Shadowfax, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Sounds fine on inside, looks good on outside, passenger looked totally lost - was looking everywhere else except where the car was pointing. Maybe the g forces caused his brain to go into meltdown or something. The driver was having fun though!

Ash Patel and Jo Sta7 like this.
  11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    There should be a ban on posting lap times comparing different cars unless it’s the same day, with the same driver on the same track with the same tires.

Even then I wouldn’t give a crap.

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #112 Shadowfax, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Agree.

Plus for me there would be no way known would I ever take an evo over an F8 regardless of the outcome. Even if there was a 10 seconds difference it still wouldn't matter a toss if you can't sit properly or see out of the thing. For me ergonomics is key in being able to enjoy the car and not wind up at the chiro with a crook neck.

PTG1 and Astrid.Didier like this.
  13. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Have you test driven the Evo?

Shadowfax likes this.
  14. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    #114 Astrid.Didier, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    I guess both are equal in term of performance, I prefer how the Evo looks like though ;) but it's a bit narrow inside the cabin than the F8. Otherwise the Evo is very showy especially in Arancio (which is a problem for people who want to keep a low profile). The F8 is less showy!

Shadowfax likes this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #115 Shadowfax, Jan 3, 2020
    I'm not sure. Comparing the two never interested me as the ergonomic failings of the Lambo exclude it for me, and I would suspect anyone over 5'6". With a helmet on it could be even worse. I would agree the Lambo would sound a lot better than an F8 inside (and out) but that's basically where it would end for me. The rest - looks etc - the F8 wins it for me but the lack of exterior sound and pedestrian ride height leaves it somewhat at a loose end for the type of car it is. I'd also be very surprised if an EVO could match the torque of the F8 engine in everyday driving situations keeping in mind both of these cars are watered down versions of their more track focused counterparts so everyday driveability certainly becomes even more relevant.

And yes the Lambo is more showy but that doesn't necessarily mean it will get a better reception from the general (female) public - (from what ive personally witnessed) - over an F8 which is more classy yet in most ways equally as showy (depending upon color). I also tend to think - based upon what ive overheard females say about the type of guys in a Lambo's are far more likely to get r shaped pinky fingers waived at them than guys in Ferrari's...

16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    FWIW, I’m 6’6” 265lbs and I have owned my Performante for over 2 years now. I fit albeit snugly. I love it. I don’t know anything about r shaped pinky fingers...

Coincid, Shadowfax and Jo Sta7 like this.
  17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Always best to look straight ahead then. That way you won't get to see any.:D

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    how???? I’m 6’2 220 and barely fit.

Thecadster and Shadowfax like this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #119 Shadowfax, Jan 3, 2020
    I read somewhere @20 people sqeezed into a mini minor so one 6 6 265 lb dude in a lambo should be achievable if the seat is laid back into a kind of bed. As the saying goes where there is a will there is a way!;):D

btw re the finger thing I think this is what sparked it off this way and Lambo guys apparently copped the brunt of it....and still do. Anyway...prolly shouldnta bought it up...but its out now so...
    https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/little-pinky-gesture-turns-driver-red-20071031-142i8

20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I have a coupe and at 6’6” 265lbs I fit...barely. It comes down to your definition of “comfort” and how your body is distributed. I happen to be balanced between legs and torso. I move the seat two inches forward, exaggerate the rake (I know, hardly an ideal racing posture), and then cram the steering wheel between my legs. I know, it sounds awful, but at my size, it’s the price you pay. Truth is, I’m not even truly comfortable in full-size SUVs, and don’t get me started on airplanes... My Performante has comfort seats, as racing seats would be a nonstarter. I fit much better in my 812 with race seats. Ultimately, where there is a will there is a way. I have a long, storied history of jamming myself into cars that do not fit me. You should have seen me zipping around Road Atlanta two summers ago in a 488 with a helmet strapped on my melon.

wrs and Jo Sta7 like this.
  21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I am 6'3" 185lbs and don't have much headroom in my 488 Spider. With a helmet on it's really bad but I can bear it for 25 minute sessions at the track. I have driven it with the top down at the track and that works better. The 812 and Portofino have plenty of headroom. I salute you for your flexibility.

Astrid.Didier, Thecadster and Jo Sta7 like this.
  22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    this is a great visual haha. Thank you for the post.

Thecadster likes this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I have driven the EVO and it is a tamped down, more comfortable and street focused car compared to the Performante. It is more compelling and exciting to drive than the 488. I prefer the Perf as it is the more thrilling and capable performer.

I am 6 ft and I have no issues with comfort in the Perf and I have the race seats. My son in law is 6’-4” , 230 lbs and he is fine in the car.

24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My preference is the F8 over the EVO since the former is technically superior to the EVO, faster and offers an elevated sense of excitement. The EVO sound is still a quantum leap above the F8.

Astrid.Didier and Jo Sta7 like this.
  25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Color plays a significant role in a car being noticed. Bright colors will always attract more attention. The overwhelming majority of cars sold in the last 10 years are white, black and shades of grey.