Glove Box Fix | FerrariChat

Glove Box Fix

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by EZORED, Dec 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #1 EZORED, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    My 512 TR glove box would not open when I pushed the switch on the console. The only way to access it was thru the emergency release cable under the dash near the passenger door. Forget that! Assuming you have power to your switch and power to part # 43 in the diagrams (Ferrari part # 61523100), and the glove box still will not pop open, the you have a bad #43. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Which is as far as I can tell un-obtainum. I even went to the trouble of modify it by installing a new electric motor following a nice thread I found here on Ferrarichat. PIA and not worth it. Just could not make it work. I have found a solution which cost me about $40 and a big learning curve. 1. Problem is getting access to the locking mechanism which entails removing the glove box. When you get the glove box open, you will see 2 small bolts on either side of the glove box where is hinges. Remove them which is a odyssey in itself. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Next you would think that the lid should come right out, but no, you have to remove the 2 interior light on each side of the glove box. Behind them you will see 2 plastic hing pins that have to be removed
    (backed out )with a 8 mm hex wrench. Image Unavailable, Please Login

The right side has 2 wires passing thru it which make it problematic as it probably has never been remove in 25 years. If I had to do it over, I would pull the wire out about 6 inches and cut. This will allow you to insert the 8 mm hex wrench and easily remove.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    You will want to remove the glove box lid and get it out of the way anyway, and you can't with the wires attached. Next, assuming you get the plastic pins removed rotate the cover to almost closed and you can remove the complete glove box. Behind the glove box you will find a fiberglass panel covered with leather. Finesse this out by pulling out and up. Finally, there is the operating latch with #43 attached.

2. This can be removed by removing the 2 bolts that attach it to the dash. Not easy, but do able if you are agile and have small hands. In reality if you can get #43's arm to extend, (see photo above) cut the arm that attaches part #43 to the latch throwing a way the end and ignore it for our purpose. If you do remove, clearly mark the position of the latch with a magic marker, so when you go to reinstall the alignment will be good.

Next purchase a power trunk hat release kit for $30 (aka a door popper) and installed see photos. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Note, the kit I bought had a 10 lb pull and I had to get a smaller spring so it could operate easily. I had to modify the attachment bracket to get it to fit in the tight space. If it sticks out too far you can not get the leather panel back in place. I attached it to the fiberglass dash with 2 screws that came in the kit. I also shimmed it to get a nice straight pull. If you have gotten this far you are pretty handy so good luck!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Once mounted, check and recheck that the popper opens the latch completely by attaching the 2 wires that were previously attached to part #43. Trial and error. Warning do not close the glove box completely without the fiberglass leather covered piece in place or a small shop towel laid over and behind the mirror. The mirror can flip back and get stuck behind the latch and you will spend 3 hrs trying to open the glove box door. Ask me how I know? Also do not hold the switch down or eventually it will blow the fuse.

3. Assuming you have gotten this far its time to reassemble. The biggest problem is the 2 screw on each side of the glove box which were the first thing you took off. I could see no way to reinstall them as there is just no room and they are also under pressure from the metal bracket which they hold in place. Finally I got some JB Weld and attached the 4 nuts to the bottom side of the plastic mount that they screwed thru. Do not forget to splice the 2 wires that power the glove light box back together. To make this easier, I opened up the hole that they pass thru the dash in with a 1 inch drill bit.

4. Final note, do not over tighten the plastic hing pins, grease them , and then recondition the leather panel and the back of the mirror. This will reduce the friction when the button is pushed. With any luck your glove box will pop open!

raysur likes this.
  2. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Great idea! Can you please post a video of it working?

xplodee likes this.
  3. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Nicely explained. That hinge mechanism is a really PITA.

4. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Yes indeed! Have you had it apart also?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    yup and will end up taking it apart again within the next year. Good grief what a pain

6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Great write up!

When my glovebox mechanism works fine, this is a great future solution.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk