Paint Code - Lower Front and Side Rocker Panels | FerrariChat

Paint Code - Lower Front and Side Rocker Panels

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by V4NG0, Dec 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Does anyone know of the correct paint code for these panels on a ‘84-‘91 TR? I’m looking to match the color, texture, etc. I found threads on other 80’s models suggesting that there is none.

2. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Its just satin black. When it comes to gloss you either have flat, satin, semi, or full gloss.

V4NG0 likes this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is a lot closer to flat than satin. Flat paints get shinier with time.

There are a million gradations so I'd suggest painting the spoiler, rockers and rear bumper piece at the same time to match.

MOSS and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  4. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Thanks for the info. The panels have all been repainted and look good generally. The need is to to touch up a few rock chips on the front spoiler, and so I’m trying to determine the best touch up paint to use for that. It’s proving difficult.

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I don't know how long you have had the car but there is a learning process and the front spoiler is often a victim of that process. I'd suggest waiting a while, fix all the issues with it and repaint the entire spoiler. Its kind of a normal service item on TR's.

6. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    There is definitely a long and nuanced leaning process with owning one of these cars. Thanks for the addition to that knowledge.

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The front air dam is NOT the same as the sides. Rattle can satin can work on the sides. The front OEM finish has a texture similar to a sparse, wet application of drywall texture with no knock-down. A smooth finish is wrong.

I was quite pissed when Ferrari Seattle repainted my front air dam in a smooth finish. Had I wanted that... I’d have gone to the local body shop and paid a SMALL fraction of what FoS charged. That OEM finish is the ONLY reason I let them put their hands on the car. They failed miserably.

Look up Newman’s thread on his Boxer refurbishment... he got it right. Wish I knew how!

BOKE and V4NG0 like this.
  8. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Vince- do you have detailed pics of an original front air dam finish?

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    No.. sorry. But Newman’s version was an exact match. He posted some very good pics.

10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Vince- I’d like to see a pic of an original TR to know for sure. Most of the pics I’ve seen were a smooth finish in satin, but I have no way to know what was original.

My car has a splitter with texture to it, but its not original. I love the look, but have always suspected it is wrong. Maybe not?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I replaced a lot of broken spoilers on brand new Testarossas and we bought ours with 900 miles on it and of all the new and original TR's I have seen, owned, worked on or were factory trained on I have never seen one with a textured spoiler. Not that that counts for anything.

BOKE, Natkingcolebasket69 and xplodee like this.
  12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    counts a lot to me! I’m going back to the smoother look this winter when I respray the bumper and rear lower valence

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Totally true! I would scrape it the first month but never after!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Could be. Had my ‘90 since ‘96 and it had texture. Hard to imagine that a simple, rattle can finish would have been intentionally changed out with a much more difficult to apply textured finish. Maybe....

Based on both our experiences.... perhaps Ferrari was on again, off again.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well I have worked on a couple of hundred and judged a couple hundred more and you have seen one.

I'll leave it up to you to decide.

Textured finishes are common to hide repaired damage.

One of the reasons I am on a board that makes judging procedures and rules is I never make a judgement on originality on a single car.

ago car nut likes this.
  16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  17. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  18. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003

19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Watch this to see the higher skill levels and additional time required to spray a textured finish. No wonder people now falsely accept a rattle can finish as ‘correct’.

20. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey, Did someone wake me up???
    Whats all the noise about?

Wow..those were the days!

21. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    vince-

why do you keep associating smooth with rattlecan? No one is rattle canning these cars during a repaint unless the owner is being taken advantage of. Textured, smooth, satin, flat, doesnt matter- all should be done using best practices with automative grade activated paints and HVLP guns.

I don’t know if you are right or wrong. I do have to say that rifledriver’s experience is pretty exhaustive. As for that black car, the picture is so low res that it appears to me that the spoiler is the same finish as the side skirts too. Not really a good example IMO.

22. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    If I were to repaint my spoiler with a smooth finish... I’d grab a rattle can. Easier and cheaper to frequently refinish. Plenty ‘good enough’ quality for that application. Never a need to drive around with a cracked or chipped spoiler. Rattle cans can give a quite good finish if skillfully applied. The casual eye will immediately pick up a chipped road rash spoiler.... but a well applied rattle can is really difficult to spot. I prefer a frequently repaired spoiler with a rattle can vs a pristine spoiler that has years worth of road rash.

I do not claim to know all with respect to OEM finish. It is clearly an OEM textured finish that is seen on earlier cars like the Boxer. I do however, believe that my personal car had NEVER had any fiberglass repair work done on it before I bought it. The bottom lip was all of OEM thickness and appearance. If it had a textured finish applied after it left the factory, it would have been on an entirely new spoiler. The extensive records I have on the car do not show any spoiler repair/replacements. It is a definite possibility... I can’t say with 100% certainty.

many, Many, MANY Testarossa have had spoilers repaired over the last 30+ years. Likely repaired just like FoS did to mine... replace a difficult OEM textured finish with fast, easy, smooth finish.

Note that the side skirts shown above have a downward angle that reflects the gravel and lends itself to a textured appearance. The spoiler reflects from an upward angle and only picks up reflections from the sky.

Some day... many will argue that Ferrari never used foam over the engine bay. All the cars they have ever seen had rattle can black.

Sorry... 83958 had foam installed at the factory. That said - my current rattle can finish looks OEM.... but that doesn’t make it right.

turbo-joe and xplodee like this.
  23. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I’m totally with you on a rattle can for field repairs/touchups.

but when I refinish mine entirely I’ll use activated paint and a gun. I’m sure you would do, or have done for you, the same