ADVISE PLEASE for Patek Philippe 5740 1/G-001 | FerrariChat

ADVISE PLEASE for Patek Philippe 5740 1/G-001

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ROMO, Dec 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    Gents,

I've been offered a BRAND NEW Patek Philippe 5740 1/G from a Patek Philippe AD at a cost of $123,380K. I have several other Patek's but I've never owned a Nautilus or Aquanaut and I would welcome, any and all, advice on whether or not this is a watch I should add to my growing collection or not?

I went on Chrono24 and see the 5740 1/G is for sale as low as $195K and as high as $246K, so my question to my fellow FCHAT Patek's experts is, will this watch retain its value over the years or will it dip lower than my cost basis. Nobody can predict the future but this piece seems to be a very hot watch today, and it's also very unique with the new complications, yet my concern is if it after the craze for the Nautilus/Aquanaut is over will I have a PP that has lost too much value? Also, at the same time, I'm wonder if I'm overlooking other PP's at or near the the same price point which would be a better long term investment.?

Any sage advice from other Patek's owners would be greatly appreciated as spending this much money on a PP sports watch is hard for me to intellectually process/justify UNLESS it's a no brainer.

Happy Holidays and thank you in advance!

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/patek-philippe-5740-nautilus-perpetual-calendar-introducing
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ryalex likes this.
  2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I’ll give you my limited input and I say limited because I didn’t deal too much with Patek Philippes until a couple of years ago.

Right now the market is really hot for Rolex sports models, PP Aquanauts and Nautilus, and AP Royal Oaks. This wasn’t the case a few years ago. Some of these watches I could barely sell but now all of a sudden they’re almost double the value.

I’m more of a pessimist so long term I don’t think these prices will hold. The market has already softened a bit but it’s not close to the pre-bubble days. How long is the million dollar question.

Having said that, at today’s market that’s a great price obviously. The PP CEO also said they’re not going to increase steel production so assuming demand stays strong, they should be above retail. That also entails him being truthful. I almost kept an Aquanaut for myself that’s going for almost double retail but looked at prices and threads from 3-5 years ago and many were getting them at discounted prices from Patek and now the prices are double. That’s what made me decide not to keep it. However, if it was offered to me at retail like your situation, I would have kept it.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    id get a 5970g before i spent 130k on that, fwiw.

4. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    Thank you for you inputs. It's much appreciated!

5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’m no expert but I’d think buying a watch like that at retail would yield a very high probability for value retention for you.
    People are nuts for this watch, and I doubt that will change.
    Check this site out for advice....

https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

6. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    My 2 cents. Its a good pick-up at retail, its one hell of watch. I think, in say 8-12 months from now, if you decide to sell, you'll break-even and that's probably the worst case scenario, given where current prices are above retail. Congrats!

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yeah, reliable A/D "Today" # is around the low Chrono 24 #

What are you waiting for? :D

8. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D

The 5740 is epic for nautilus if you never HS one. The thicknesses are different and size as well for each model. Just make sure it fits your wrist. Other than that, buy it for sure. You have other po and no nautilus- that is why you are offered one.

9. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    5740 is a great watch, in my eyes one of the greatest of all Nautilus and for 123K a no brainer!
    Go for it! Would love to get that offer here in Germany...

ROMO likes this.