612 Ownership? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

612 Ownership?

Discussion in '612/599' started by colandreo, Oct 25, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well, one could ask you why didn't you get a 599 if you didn't want rear seat passengers? ;)

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It is certainly nice to have the ability to carry people back there occasionally.

Plus, and this might be heresy, I think the 612 looks much better than the 599.

3. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Oh boy, you are in trouble now - LOL

4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think....basically....one of each, please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

5. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    Haha, yes sir! And this was my scuderia Rosso 599 :

my 599 tribute - Rennlist Discussion Forums

6. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    the 612 covers all bases for me at present-modern architecture and amenities,fantastic to drive,look at and travel in-plus my kids love it.
    have tried the FF but does not have the same feel/passion...

cgt000 likes this.
  7. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    If u don't need the latest and greatest all the time (u are better off if u don't) the 612 is awesome - u could have a 612 and never get another Ferrari - took me 5 latest and greatest to realize it

m5shiv likes this.
  8. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The one thing I'll never get used to, the one thing that will prevent me from calling the 612 the last ferrari I ever need to buy, even if I upgrade to an OTO, is the friggin' windows. What the hell is up with that? I can't stand that the glass sticks three inches out of the door when full open. Someone must have had a good laugh when they gave up trying to design it properly and rationalized they'll sell every copy regardless. It's an amazing vehicle, but that and the sticky parts are starting to piss me off.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    For some reason I don't have the sticky knobs, but I do agree it was a design error not to have the side windows fully retract into the door. It does bug me a little. At first I thought maybe it was a defect solely on my car.

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I hardly noticed the sticky parts at first, but I'm 4000 miles into the 612 this year and I'm noticing. If I keep the car, I'll need to see what sticky-no-more can hook me up. Couple of the parts though probably aren't worth the price/effort.

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just had a conversation with Glenn at Ferrari of Washington. It seems that they can basically disassemble the interior, ship everything to sticky-no-more, get it back and reinstall it all for about $4,000. Really for all the little piece parts that need to be done, this actually sounds pretty good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Get a quote from sticky rx. I really like his work

13. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That post was from 2013. I've been through a 599, Cali and Cali T since then...lol 612 is LONG gone. :D I did get SNM to do my climate controls on the Cali though, turned out GREAT, and was reallly, really quick turn.

14. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Ferrari of Atlanta repaired my stickies quickly and reasonably.
    Look good. Feel good.

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    The only stickies in my car are the radio preset buttons which are not so bad

16. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    What tires are you using ? Pirellis are very noisy even when new. Michelin PS 4S is a game changer.

MRY likes this.
  17. LimoParty

LimoParty Rookie

May 16, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hi, Y'all. I'm new around her and researching my next purchase hopefully a Blue Mirabeau (525) with Beige (4208) Daytona 612. I have Pirelli P zero on my 760Li and they are fine. I had PS2s on the M5 and they've been outstanding, but I'm changing to PS4s, I'm sure they will be even better. What I don't understand is the huge range in asking price for 612s, high miles, low, older younger it is all over the place. And another thing; folks say 'drive a 599 and a 456 and a 612', but f/car dealers seem to expect me to buy one before I test drive it. Since I drove over 1,000 miles to test eight m5s before I found a good un, I'm not going to be parted from 80,000 before I'm right happy.

18. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Post pics !

19. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Robert, tell us where you live. A 612 owner might offer you a drive. <www.bringatrailer.com> is a great source of data on selling (not asking) prices for 612s. Blu Mirabeau is a beautiful color, but I'm thinking very rare for a 612. You might consider expanding your color universe a bit to get a larger selection of cars.

20. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Much like you, I had an M5 before (albeit an E39 that I had for 10 years). I'm on Long Island in New York and if you ever want to take a closer look and talk shop, I'd be glad to help. The range in asking price (and selling price) is generally lower for the early pre-OTO cars with less options like the photovoltaic roof, the upgraded transmission, suspension, and the carbon-ceramic brakes (and a few other things). I have a peasant-spec 2005 612 without much fuss at all (not even heated seats). First Ferrari I've ever driven and after a great PPI, I couldn't be happier. It does remind me of my M5, in that it's civilized when it wants to be but it's also ready to let loose and become an animal. I also had a Lotus Exige so I wasn't keen on having a hardcore loud car anymore. I would imagine a 599 is sportier but I prefer the versatility of the 612 and, despite being in the minority, I also prefer the styling.

A dealership will want to know that you are seriously considering purchasing a car like this and that you are ready to pull the trigger on right right one. There are many yahoos out there who just want to go for a test drive and it would be ill-advised of them to let anyone drive a car like this.

Good luck in your search!

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Robert, welcome to FChat. I see you just joined yesterday. May I suggest you start doing some searches of these forums. There is a ton of info here.

There is a range of prices on the 612, but there are good reasons. Do some more research on the car and you will understand why.

And btw, PS4 is the way to go.

MRY and LimoParty like this.
  22. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob

The cars you're looking at is they're almost all going to be consignments, not owned by the dealership.I'm sure you can get a test drive if you say the right things, they just have to believe you're not just kicking tires before they let you drive someone else's car. Probably easier to get a test drive in a dealer demo Portofino.

As was said, there's always a reason a car is priced where it is. Most of it is going to be years and miles. The equipment on the 612 can vary greatly year by year. By the time you've gone from '05 to late '08, it's a very different car. Then there's deferred maintenance. If you end up needing to do "everything", major service, suspension bits, clutch, stickies, maybe a water pump or something, all of which very possible you could be looking at $25k in maintenance in the first year or two. Always a reason a car is priced where it is.

LimoParty and Nospinzone like this.
  23. LimoParty

LimoParty Rookie

May 16, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thank you for such a welcoming post. I come from a long line of BMWs starting with the first that I bought for my ma in 89, which we still have today. I had one of the ultra rare (in the UK at least) 540i M Sport Tourings. I wish I hadn't sold that, but console myself with a 760Li and an e61 M5 which as you may know comes with an SMG III box. Neither of those are suited to London traffic and that is why I miss the 540 it was a good car. I have given up on finding another good one now, manual V8s are now overpriced here.
    The S85 engine is astonishing though and after Munich Legends took us out for a spin I had to have one. Great for changing times zones.
    Sadly, I have missed out on the blue 612. I was too slow. It was a Nov 2004 car with 57,000 miles and advertised as meticulously services with a clean bill of health! Some people will spend £50,000 sight unseen, but not me.
    I didn't realise there was such a variation in spec between 05 and 08 (as Piper suggests). Heated seats might not matter to me either, as I'll probably keep the 760 which has them. However, and the colour and leather would have to be right for me. My wife says a Ferrari should be red so I have a battle on my hands.
    As Nospinezone says - a lot of information. Yes, yes, reading and grateful for the wealth of information on here.
    Cobraownr notes bringatrailor.com and I do watch the auctions to see what is going down stateside. There are online auctions in the UK but haven't hit upon one so good yet.
    Thank you all for being so welcoming. I'll keep looking, set myself for the long haul, do more research and not rush in. I'll get there.

24. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    #49 smggms, May 19, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2020
    i had the excact same questions when i was looking for 612, i love the design the car aged realy well

The expensive ones you refering to they are most likely OTO ( one to one) these are customized build i think from 2008 ,
    from my understanding OTO its upgraded from earlier version , they come with magnatic sun roof , double plate clutch ( suppose to last longer) and ceramic brakes ( they are very expensive to replace if they crack) some with low miles are more expensive than 2012 FF .

coming from 2001 456m i owned before , the 612 totaly diffrent its bigger ( huge trunk space for family of 4) very comfortable on the road for long distance better suspension , shocks , engine and lot of fun to drive in sport mode and nothing sound like the of v12 engine of 612.
    the 612 is bulettproof more modernized, reliable and less maintenance than 456 , (612 dont need valve guide adjustment )

im going to summarize 612 maintenance based on my experience:
    1- Every 5 years Cam belt ( arround 3k )
    2- every year oil change ( 300$)
    3- every 2 years fluids (engine oil, brake, power steering , f1 transmision ( arround 1500)
    4- clutch :depend on your driving can last 25k miles cost 5-7k

the price depend on the car history mileage and mantenance ..
    I bought mine last year 2005 9k miles ( now 15 k miles ) with one year ferrari warranty
    ( power 15 ) i paid 96k .
    was fully inspected by ferrari dealer and all maintennace up to date ..
    color silver/cuoio

25. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    In terms of service you can expect, as I mentioned earlier a standard major service every 5yrs or so including cam seals. And the tie rods/ball joints on this gen fcar are consumables. You will be replacing them every so often. Neither of these are trivial.

Re the OTO's, they started rolling out mid '08 I believe, and also included a modern manettino steering wheel and by then the upgraded double din Bose system was also standard. The difference between the pre-OTO 612 F1 and the OTO F1 is night and day. Night and day. In a pre-OTO you're sweating pulling out in traffic esp uphill, significant delay getting 1st to engage. But the twin plate is all but instantaneous.