Any gatherings in Cumming/Alpharetta/Johns Creek? | FerrariChat

Any gatherings in Cumming/Alpharetta/Johns Creek?

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by kidryno, Dec 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kidryno

kidryno Karting

Dec 22, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Curious if there are ever any regular get togethers in this neck of the woods? I know there’s quite a few owners up this way - would be fun to grab coffee, etc.

2. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Not that I know of but no reason we couldn’t start something

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Ballvice and kidryno like this.
  3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I would be interested as well. Maybe we should wait until the new 2020 schedule of events is out to avoid any potential conflicts.

kidryno likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Some years ago, we used to have a monthly gathering on a Saturday afternoon at an Italian restaurant called Giovanni's that was in the shopping center at the corner of 141 and McGinnis Ferry in what is now Johns Creek. Average attendance was 50-60 exotic and sports cars including at least a dozen Ferraris. Some of us would stay and have dinner there. It was a fun time, but the restaurant closed (apparently over some problem with their liquor license) and the event petered out. We tried to keep it going at other restaurants along 141, including back at the original site when Cheeseburger Bobby's opened there, but nothing really worked and the gathering became past history. (Bobby's is still there, BTW.)

kidryno likes this.
  5. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    The good old days............. some memories of the meeting with the most participants... Actually Vinny said that business was dropping off at that location due to the construction of widening 141 at that time and his rent was raised at the same time. We tried to re-organize when Vinny moved to his new location, but interest faded and again after Cheeseburger Bobbies opened We had two or three but participation had petered away.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    I’d be interested in helping out with an Alpharetta event. I have an apparel company and could get clothing and other materials to support it as well to help make it official. I could create a brand for it, etc.

If not a more formal event, something casual would be fine too just to get fellow enthusiasts together.

What do you all think?

Ballvice and DefunctNeurons like this.
  7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Thanks, Jeff. I was looking for some of my own photos from the Giovanni's days but you beat me to it. I've eaten at Vinny's new place on Sugarloaf but have never seen him; he's always busy in the kitchen.

8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Cheeseburger Bobby's is not very Italian, but their fries are addictive. It (andChick Fil A) are my favorite fast food places. Their custard and shakes are awesome!

:D
    BT

9. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    There's a Chick-fil A across the street... and it's newly remodeled. Also the Applebees next door has been replaced by City Barbecue.
    Maybe some planning for the spring is in order?
    JD

10. DefunctNeurons

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Sounds great to me! I live off McGinnis Ferry, a mile from 141 - so anything close would be fantastic. An Italian place sounds better than a burger joint. What about Rosa Mia’s next to Butler Tire? I think that could be big!

kidryno likes this.
  11. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Maybe get Butler involved to host

12. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    #12 DL4567, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Watching this thread with great interest!

I was one of the regulars in the good ol' days of Giovanni's, and miss it dearly. Just this past Saturday, I tried to get up for a morning car show, and felt terrible (been sleeping in with time off from work for the holidays). I'm a night owl vampire through and through, and HATE that just about every car gathering is in the damn morning. WHY??? It led to a (probably the 100th) conversation between my wife and I at how great Giovanni's was. Lots of exotic cars with several Ferraris, local to our suburbs, and happening in the afternoon when human beings feel awake and alive.

Yes please, let's make something happen again!

EDIT: I'm similarly upset that the First Redeemer Church in Alpharetta doesn't do their annual show anymore in September. It was also at 3pm, and had an excellent mix of exotics and American cars. Everything great goes away for some reason. I don't understand it.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Initially, First Redeemer said that the reason was construction at the church, but I doubt if that is still the case; maybe the parking lot was reduced in size and wouldn't be able to host a car show, but I have trouble believing that. Perhaps they got a new pastor who wasn't into cars like the old one was.

14. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    I’m new to the group and wasn’t around for the good ole days of the Ferrari meets - but the afternoon get together sound intriguing - could even get the wife onboard.

What about a monthly dinner meet at Italian Resturants in the area?

Great for us - good for them as well?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The Ferrari Club had been hosting bimonthly dinners for members at various restaurants around Atlanta (not necessarily Italian) but there hasn't been one in many months now. Maybe that will become more common in 2020.

16. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Great minds :)

17. kidryno

kidryno Karting

Dec 22, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Great to see there’s some interest! Could be a lot of fun. How can we move this forward?

Ballvice likes this.
  18. rmfamily

rmfamily Rookie

Aug 6, 2017
    Absolutely! We are working on a location for January dinner and will be doing a drive before our monthly meet up before Corso.

My understanding is that the previous starting point was the Starbucks at exit 13 on GA 400–can anyone confirm that?

Stay tuned to your email box if you are a FCA member.

Kind Regards,

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    That’s pretty close to our house. I’m down

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  20. kidryno

kidryno Karting

Dec 22, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    DefunctNeurons and Ballvice like this.
  21. DefunctNeurons

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Count me in

kidryno likes this.
  22. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

i am in as well.

kidryno likes this.
  23. minimn

minimn Karting

Jun 25, 2007
    A local monthly gathering that's a spin off from C & O for those that didn't like it being a "circus"; we've been holding monthly 1st Sunday get together's for over five years, good people and a great variety of vintage cars (usually one Ferrari):
    Where? Panera Bread at the Roswell Target Shopping Center
    at 1135 Woodstock Rd, Roswell, GA 30075
    When? 8:00AM - 11:00AM

BT and steved033 like this.
  24. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I just joined that group and will be there next month. Seems much more my style. I always worry about some jealous jerk messing with my car at C&O.

:D
    BT

steved033 likes this.
  25. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    I attended yesterday and it was fun. Decent turnout in spite of the low temps.

steved033 likes this.