2019 360 (and 430) hit's and misses | FerrariChat

2019 360 (and 430) hit's and misses

Discussion in '360/430' started by one4torque, Dec 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    On my morning drive @ 5am today, I was thinking back on my 2019 360 modena ownership hit's and misses. These include things I bought that did not work out for me..... hacks I found... and awesome ownership experiences in 2019.

Please share yours...... even if it only includes sat in garage 365 days and appreciated 5% Yeah! (JK).

2019 Misses-
    1) try to daily like my good buddy hans..... he drives hit 99 modena everywhere.... EVERYWHERE with no Fear. Parks every where..... my hero. so I tried to daily to work.... and on day 4.... there is a big belt buckle rash on the side of my rear fender next to the engine window! crap...... got it paint corrected.... no more daily.

2) on a club drive my wife says'''..... hey did you know there is this little stain spot on your headliner.... it came with the 'cloud' cloth gray liner..... handy me get's home..... hit's spot with some remover..... fast forward 2 hours.... and headliner cloth separates.... and falls off....... revealing a gooey rubbery broken down foam mess. This is also on the win column..... more to follow.

3) off to coffee and dreaded susp warning light illuminates! crap. changed out susp ecu for used unit.... light goes off for a few drives... then back on. leave battery off for a couple weeks..... it goes away and has not come back for 4 mo's.... for no apparent reason other than my little italian decided it was happy for now.

4) had work done at a shop this summer and they left it in the sun to cook...... dash bubbled up... stickies got toasted. dash/stickies were already on their way out.... but 105 deg F direct sun did not help. check with your shop on how they store cars when you get service.

5)

2019 Wins -
    1) DIY zone - I'm finding this car is very well put together with re-usable fasteners........ was able to source a used ferrari 360 black leather head-liner from fleabay. made offer for $300...... took my time and pulled interior apart to gain access to the headliner. do not pull down on the glued headliner... you could bend the thin metal roof..... roll it. removed the old leather... let it sit in the sun with conditioner..... to let any wrinkles settle out. then reglued leather to new foam... new foam to old backing... then backing to car. No need to pay big $$ for this. Super easy.

ALSO while you have your interior out... a good time to refresh the dye. was able to source some good match cuiuo dye and cleaned re dye entire interior.... cleared up any blems...... looks so fresh.

2) DIY - desticky - was able to desticky my entire 100% on my own... most parts could just remove the sticky with 99% alcohol elec cleaner...... others able to remove sticky.... then apply over the counter rubberized bumper spray...... light coats and all good...... and if it get's sticky again..... can redeaux for pennies. Also before you pay for desticky.... check web for NOS parts.... was able to find some parts NOS cheap ashtray, missor switch..... .etc.... Be sure to guy a trim removal kit... plastic tools to pop off int pcs.

3) Community - this was the big surprise for me frankly...... the f car community in san antonio is the best.... the drives, the diy days, the cars and coffee's.... the new friends. does not matter if you are in a tired used f car... or the newest variant..... they are all car people.... and good people.

4) Vendors - I've met some vendors who help me keep my italian running..... some have become friends.... these are the ones who are more than business people...... they know who they are...... thanks to you all.

5) Smiles - honeymoon phase is still on...... bought my 360 modena gated summer of 18...... and this car still gives me the fizz...... I am now plotting a stripped lightweight gated (swap) HPDE car..... challenge car with a VIN...... rat-a-rossa inspired..... his no F's given Testarossa got me thinking...... daily a street legal challenge car...... more to come as I put my thoughts and budget together...

All the best people, thanks for putting up with my newb worm questions...... and post up your f car exp over 2019.

JoeTSI, Caphill, Kitchdog and 4 others like this.
  2. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So far only wins for me as I got the car 9 days ago and have put about 100 miles on it so far. Would have been more but my kids were home from school with the flu last week.

one4torque likes this.
  3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    2019 Misses- none to speak of. all good. Aside from the cost of new timing belts and rollers. But I was expecting that. For me normal maintenance doesn't count.

2019 Hits: I get to drive a Ferrari. Every year I do I'm still enthralled. Considering my humble roots, I'm still over the top about it. After over two years it's been smooth sailing and still so
    exhilarating. Ass end squirm, the engine whine, oh my... soooo gooooood.

2) Always get comments on how much everybody loves the California Azzurro.
    3) Always get a kick out of the shock of those who when ask what year is my car and then I tell them.
    4) Always enjoy the kids and the look on their face when I ask if they would like to sit in the driver's seat-- oh and of course the resulting grinning selfies.
    5) This Forum. I was very surprised how hands on, knowledgeable, the members here are. Much more so than the 911 guys forum I was on. Much, much more.

brookliner7 and Targaflorio0199 like this.
  4. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Its funny you mention your buddy.. I have THAT buddy too. Took his 360 to the mall and the gym everywhere, never cleaned it.. and cringe.. NEVR serviced it in 8 years of ownership... not even oil!! Never had a single problem with it. I baby my cars and constantly have things to deal with, park a million miles away and still get hit and run.. its an odd thing.

5. Dnewmar1

Dnewmar1 Rookie

Dec 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    David
    Only hits after two months of ownership here lol:

1. I finally have my dream car. When this car came out in 2005 I knew I HAD to have it. I was 14. I was always buckled down in finances because of a great mentor, but this just helped.

2. The sounds are just beyond words.

3. I get to make jokes about my red Ferrari

6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Sgm—early honey moon phase—- lots of garage time after supper holding wine glass smiling;;;)

kc- werd. I would struggle keeping my thing on the road w out this place.

hwy—. I treat my ls swapped m3 with low regard.... no stress.. park anywhere... and nobody messes w it. Hoping to get that exp in my own rat a Rosa inspired build soon.

dn— I joke w my wife and try to wear a lot of Ferrari swag at home and use Ferrari in as many sentence possible.

7. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    2019 hits:
    1. Bought my first Ferrari (gated 360)... the 360 is everything in hoped it would be!

2. Drove it as often as I could between April and October.

3. Installed HE shift bushing in my garage... never thought I'd take apart a ferrari. Worked out great though.

4. Replaced shift knob with HE version.

5. Made a long list of things to do next spring, including ECU tune, new cats, carbon air boxes and a few other minor tweaks.

2019 misses:

1. Haven't found a house with enough garage space yet.... so the 360 and its summer stablemate had to go into storage. I enjoyed seeing it every day, now I wont see it til spring.

2. Have a small oil leak and coolant leak that will need to be diagnosed right after storage. It had it's full major service right as I bought it, but it was sitting for about 2 years before, so there may be a few fixes in order.

The 360 was and is still my favorite vehicle ever made, it was a huge milestone for me and I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

one4torque likes this.
  8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    2019 hits:

Bought a gated 360 Spider.
    Drove the snot out of it virtually everyday the roads were dry.
    Sounds great, drives great, looks great.
    Have really fallen for the lines and design of this fine example of automotive history.

2019 misses:
    A couple of minor technical things I was able to fix myself.
    Not in love with the capote mechanism.

Overall, a fine experience.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

boaz15 and one4torque like this.
  9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev

Hits.. Finally got the car in a first bit of YouTube content after promising to do it for years.. Huge thanks to @Seenthroughglass for the video. Lots more content planned for 2020. Watch this space.

Hits.. Got the car fully paint corrected again and did some amazing upgrades power wise on the engine. Totally maxing out the fuel pressure now and running close to 470hp.. Not bad for a 360 engine but need bigger fuel injectors to shoot for the big 500.. Then id be happy

Misses.. Not driving it enough!

boaz15, Caphill, RANDY6005 and 4 others like this.
  10. Targaflorio0199

Targaflorio0199 Karting

Jun 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Targa
    Great Thread.

Bought my 05' 360 Spider in July 2019

MISSES
    Cam belt change and full service before purchase. Extra cost to price but was aware of it.
    Jealous people. Had a car try a U turn in front of me when I clearly had right of way. Swerved to avoid him. Chases after me, hand swinging a beer bottle from the driver's window. Could not believe it.

HITS
    Undertook a Ceramic Coating. Fantastic deep gloss and finish to the paint now.
    Successful treatment of the sticky button issues thanks to this great forum
    Changed out all the centre caps to new. Wheels pop.
    Installed Carbon Fibre paddles
    Installed Challenge Stradale Yellow Rpm dial
    Bought new OEM Fuel Cap, old one falling apart
    Bought new OEM Central Wind deflector, old one with a tiny hole.

Verdict: Super happy. A weekend Queen but couldn't be happier. My first Ferrari.

Kitchdog and one4torque like this.
  11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
  12. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Misses:
    Mainly just downtime for repairs.
    1.Broken tie rod for intake butterfly valves
    2. $2k oil leak
    3. Motor mounts, easy to do yourself.
    4. Elusive diagnosis for faulty MAF Had me changing out all the spark plugs and coils
    5. CV boot cracked and leaking
    6. Now coolant leak somewhere

Hits:
    1. All the time spent with the wonderful people I met through this car and,
    2. getting to sit behind the wheel of one of the most well balanced (form and functions) rolling pieces of glorious sounding art work ever made.

Attached Files:

becir1 and kes7u like this.
  13. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    +1

I bought my Spider almost ten years ago and still go down to the garage on occasion just to look at it.
    My first Ferrari, it’s been everything I hoped for and more.
    Only regret is not getting one sooner.

14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Kind of funny... I also did my 8 coil packs earlier this year after detecting a slight miss at idle. But it was so easy and cheap I totally forgot about it. I guess it's just a testament to how much I enjoy this car --- I forgive and forget easily. :)

brookliner7 likes this.
  15. proggero

proggero Rookie

Apr 18, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul Roggero
    2019 2003 360 Modena hits and misses

HITS
    1) Continued great service by John Heim at GMP in Novato. He provides great service and advice. I have full confidence in his knowledge and recommendations.
    This may turn into a miss because I understand that he is no longer at GMP.
    2) Had my first track experience with the Simraceway group in Sonoma. My 360 and I were very happy with the experience.
    3) Had my car judged by FCA experts. Received a 92 with several very minor recommendations that I can easily resolve.
    4) Was able to show the 360 at the San Francisco International Auto Show with the FCA Pacific region.
    5) Was able to reset an check engine light that turned out to be a very minor issue. Gas cap not screwed on tightly enough
    6) Lots of enjoyment with the Ferrari community in the San Francisco Bay area.
    7) Walking into my garage and feeling so fortunate that I have been able to own this car since 2011.

MISSES

1) Seeing a check engine light come on. As noted above, it was not a bad miss
    2) Learning the John Heim is no longer with GMP. I hope that he has relocated somewhere in the SF Bay area.

Looking forward to a great 2020.

one4torque likes this.
  16. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Nice idea for a thread!

Hits:

Got my Giallo Modena 360 Spider F1 in June :)
    Worked a decent deal which included a major service, so don't need to worry about belts until 2022.
    Found a cheap second hand muffler box in the same state as me
    Found some great, trustworthy exotic mechanics here in SA - Veloce Motorsport
    6 months in, 1100km and no engine lights
    THAT feeling every time you get in the car, lower the roof and fire her up. Not to mention THAT feeling every time you walk back to it at the pump, car meet, work and are reminded that it is YOUR Ferrari
    This website - an absolute godsend, fantastic community

Misses:

Muffler packed up as soon as I got the car, was making a vibrating sound which was worrying at the time
    The detail and paint correction that got done before I purchased the car was not up to standard, am organising another for the new year
    Some of the people that tailgate you and want to race, but it is to be expected

one4torque likes this.
  17. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    2002 gated

Hits:

. Did a "more than major" major in my garage: Replaced the water pump, the heat exchanger and all the timing components (belts, bearing and hydraulic tensioners). Spark Plugs, Coolant, Engine Oil, Gear Oil, Brake fluid. New brake rotors, pads and SS brake lines on all for 4 corners.

. Road trip down Highway 1 during car week with 2 childhood buddies

. A day a Laguna Seca (lifting between T5/T6 because 90dB :)

. Gave a bunch of rides to kids and friends, great lasting memories created

Misses:

. Not enough time to drive her...

18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    John is now at Patrick Ottis Company.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

19. proggero

proggero Rookie

Apr 18, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul Roggero
    Thank you. Great news!!

20. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Did you do all this work yourself or did you have a shop to all? If it was a shop would do you mind sharing the total? I'm looking at maybe doing some of this

21. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Did all of it myself in my home garage with quickjacks and elbow grease ;-)
    Would probably run you ~$7.5k at an Indy and who knows how much at the Dealer... ~$2500 in parts buying online (Ricambi & Eurospares).., most likely close to double that if buying at the dealer.

one4torque, EastMemphis and JaguarXJ6 like this.
  22. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Foto- what I really want to know— how’d you fit two buddies in your 360 :)

props for the diy. I like my car the more I diy. Become more attached.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  23. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Haha....
    Should have been more explicit. The picture I posted is with 2 other cars. The SL600 is also mine. A friend flew out from NYC and another friend local with a RS3. We swapped keys during the trip and had radios to keep each other company (ala Top Gear Special).
    This was a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Bought my gated modena 2004 November 2018 with 42K miles, Just sold December 2019 with 52k miles, daily drove it, loved it, she loved me, but ended up buying a 458 and getting a real good offer on Modena couldn't say no to!

will always have a little piece of my heart though..the good news is a good friend and he's also my neighbor bought it, so i'll be seeing her around

one4torque likes this.
  25. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Tarek- love the first person vids sir.