458 - 458 Spider vs. F430 Spider: My observations | FerrariChat

458 458 Spider vs. F430 Spider: My observations

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scout123, Dec 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    When looking to switch from my 06 F430 to a 458 Spider (I eventually got a 2013), I was looking for any posts where they were compared. I had my F430 Spider for two years and drove it year round. I am about 3 months into my 458 Spider and also drive it 3-4 days a week. I drove both cars in hot and cold weather, on long interstate trips, and spirited two lane hwy drives. Here are my thoughts:

Looks: Purely personal opinion. I think the 458 is one of the most beautiful cars Ferrari has made. But, back view of F430 is better. Also, now my F430 is gone, and I look at old pictures, I didn't appreciate its beauty as much. The 458 gets more attention while out and about though. I give the 458 a slight edge here.

Sound: Both cars have stock exhaust/headers. I think the F430 sounds better. It is raspier, and the exhaust noise is alive in almost all driving scenarios. 458 is good, but only comes to life when you are getting on it. I am sure some aftermarket options will address this. But, as for stock set up, I give the nod to the F430.

Handling. No comparison here. 458 stomps the F430. Being an 2006, Ferrari (and most car companies) had not developed any serious rigidity in soft-tops. The F430 is no exception. Caul shake was standard operating procedure. The F430 got where you pointed it, but not with confidence. There is not much difference in this area between a 458 and 458 Spider - which tells you how far this has come. 458 goes exactly where you point it with no fuss. Very confident handling machined to drive for sure.

Cruising: Well, I do GT these things on occasions. Again, due to F430 soft top, no rigidity, no "bumpy road" button, this one goes to the 458. After taking a 4 hour interstate cruise averaging around 90 mph, the 458 Spider hard top provided a very nice ride. When I drive at high speed in the 458, I have complete confidence in the car. I had the exact opposite in the F430 Spider (see section on handling and rigidity above). 458 gets the win here.

Interior: Again, this is purely a personal opinion on looks, etc. The fit and finish is better in the 458 and all parts are tighter for sure. 458 gets the nod in my book. But, that said, I truly miss the pure analog gage set up. I loved seeing all my vitals on the F430. 458 requires some toggling through two screens to get the same gauge data. I wish some companies would go against the trend, and revert back to high quality analogs.

Transmission: I know that the DCT is far superior to the F1 in all mechanical and performance aspects. But, but. . . the F1 was fun to drive. It required some skill on when to feather the gas when shifting for smooth and fantastic results in torque and exhaust note. It required you to "drive" the car much more than the DCT. It let me learn how to run the motor just right to get great sounds and pops from the exhaust. The DCT is a more sterile experience. Grant it, it works amazing well. But here, I kind of miss the F1. The bang between gears, your back getting popped into the seat back with each shift.

Conclusion: If the F430 was more rigid, with a better soft top (mine always had gas with the windows and trim), I would probably have kept it. But, those two things really drove me nuts. I thought when I got the 458 Spider, I would forget about even owning the F430 Spider. Not true. I miss several aspects of that car now. I don't regret my decision, but it was not nearly as much of a slam dunk as I initially thought.

VAF84, Brocco, kiryu and 6 others like this.
  2. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Great review! Kind of a shame, you paid another 100K probably for a car that's NOT twice as good. I went from the eighties cars to the 458 Spider, and for the first few years, I thought it was worth it, But when you consider the depreciation, and the fact there's nothing user friendly about working on the car, my 328's and Testarossa's will still be running when the computers on the 458 wig out and make the car unusable. I didn't get rid of my older cars, so still have them to compare with. The depreciation on the car averages out to about EIGHT dollars a mile, maybe upwards to ten. For just the depreciation on my car over four years, I could have paid cash for my 328GTB. At that rate EVERY drive has to be exhilarating, if a person doesn't just have money to burn.

I'm not all that impressed with the 458 Spider for rigidity. When going down a bumpy road at slow speeds top up, the car squeaks and rattles. The car in some ways is light years ahead of the older cars, but the all electronic dash is not nearly as user friendly as the cars with real gauges. I've had my speedometer not light up the numbers at night- all I was able to see was the red arrow. Kind of weird to look at your speedometer and just see this electronically generated arrow and NOTHING else. Went away the next day and has worked normally. So many computers,that all are communicating with each other, in time will cause grief.

Shark01, whatheheck and BruceC like this.
  3. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Excellent write up, particularly for someone with a '06 F430 Spider that's been shopping 458s for close to a year. My motivation for switching is a little different, i.e. I discovered after 4 years with the Spider, that I'm not truly an "open top" guy. Don't get me wrong, I personally think the Spiders are more attractive, but in the sunny South, motoring around with the top down and the A/C on full blast and not really making much impact just seems silly to me. That and I just prefer the closed-in feeling of a coupe.

Seems like the 458 Spider gives you the best of both worlds with the folding hard top, but to be honest, I think I might miss looking at the engine through the rear glass deck.

I also have to admit, that I do like the visceral feeling you get with the F430 where some of the later model performance cars I've driven seemed more "refined" and just not as exciting to drive.

Thanks again for sharing!

4. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    In my world there is no comparison . 458 trumps the 430 by leaps and bounds on all fronts !

tr328, xfrgtr and buddyg like this.
  5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’m very surprised...the 458 sounds miles better imo.

x z8 and buddyg like this.
  6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I do agree that the 458 electronics are not user friendly and Ferrari needs to find someone that can write owners manuals that make better sense. I don't really notice the cowl shake (but then I owned a lot of British roadsters that shook even if there were not bumps), but the handling the sound and looks, I would say the 458 wins big. I owned 2 430's (both coupes, F1/gearshift), and I don't miss the F1 or any of the early paddle cars. If there is one thing I miss about the 430 it is the ability to change out the stereo to an aftermarket system. I just had a Mike's subwoofer (and an amp) installed in my car. I am hoping that will be enough for me.

xfrgtr and buddyg like this.
  7. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Great write up… Very helpful information!! I too was going to look at a 458 upgrade, but reading this convinced me that I’m going to keep my 07 f430 spider, imperfect and all. It is just an all-around fun car to drive and I simply love the looks of it. Plus, at $109,000, I’m really never going to get hurt

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I bought my 'O6 F430 Spider with gated shifter in 2011. I bought my '13 458 Spider in 2014. I suppose it's a case of apples and oranges, but I much prefer the MT driving experience to the DCT of the 458. The 458 does draw more attention, and I prefer the hardtop to the soft top, but when I really want to have a fun drive, I choose the F430. They're both great cars, but the F430 has a bit more of the harnessed beast character to it. Fred

9. ButchF-430S

ButchF-430S Rookie

Aug 6, 2013
    I own a 2006 F-430 spider 6 speed manual with Capristo headers with blankets, high flow cats and racing exhaust. The driving experience with the top down at speed on a fast twisting road CANNOT be duplicated in a 458 F1 spider! The entire car talks to me as I'm rowing through the gears and shifting just below the red line. I get up early Sunday morning, turn on my ALP laser jammer, pop the top and go fold some space. Just cruising down the interstate with the top down is exhilarating. People will pull beside me and say "that exhaust sound is incredible". My car is russo/tan with black and silver 20 inch wheels 325/20 in the rear. No maintenance issues in 7 years of ownership except the heater needed repair. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I get big love at "Cars and Coffee". Yes; my F430 has that "...harnessed beast character...", and that's just the way I want it!!! G'day mates!

ppailey and Ash Patel like this.
  10. Anthony Capone

Jun 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Omg, 458 is a beast, the 430 sound seems overdone to me, fyi the 430 does not come standard with ceramic brakes and the single clutch is slow and expensive to replace

x z8 and xfrgtr like this.
  11. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    I love my 458 coupe! Coming from a Ferrari 360 coupe and a 360 spider, it's far superior. I have driven a couple 430's and they sound great with a growl type exhaust, but I enjoy listening to my 458 with the popping and gurgling note. Two different sounds and I like them both. I have a Gallardo and occasionally get temped to sell and get a 430 due to the slow shifting of the Gallardo. The 430 is a nice car but the 458 is far superior in many ways in my opinion! I would probably own both cars if I had more garage space.

mguthrie, x z8 and xfrgtr like this.
  12. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As someone that also moved from a 430 Spider to a 458 Spider I concur with almost everything in the review. My feeling is that the biggest difference is the soft top vs. the convertible hardtop. I love the hardtop. It’s truly like driving a coupe when it’s up as far as the sound, rigidity and comfort. I took the car to Arizona for the annual FCA meet in November and I can’t imagine the experience of driving could have been better. With absolutely perfect weather for the 5 days I experienced open top canyon runs that were just beyond belief. Then when we headed back to the city or returned from D=Sedona I was able to put the top up, turn on the AC and radio and truly enjoy 90 mph Interstate driving in the comfort of a coupe. Absolutely fantastic car and driving experience. I loved my 360 Spider and 430 Spider, but this is really the best of everything.

x z8 likes this.
  13. F1fletch

F1fletch Rookie

Nov 21, 2019
    Pacifica
    Full Name:
    Darren Fletcher
    Great review, we got our F430 Coupe knowing we both preferred the 458 but just aren’t there yet budget wise and needed a “first Ferrari” experience. Perhaps in a couple years we will get a 458. I drove a 458 on the track and a 488 on the street. Honestly I liked the 570s more than the 488, and liked the 458 better than the 488 as well. For me the 458 is kind of the sweet spot of Ferrari Mid Engine cars but will enjoy our F430 until we get there.

thanks again for the honest insights;)

x z8 likes this.
  14. Tampaman44

Tampaman44 Rookie

May 29, 2017
    Enjoyed the review and comments as I just purchased a ‘15 458 spider.My first Ferrari was an 01 360 Modena. 6 speed. Purchased 3 years ago.Tubi exhaust. Found it was a little too loud .Can’t believe I’m saying this since my obsession with Ferrari began at Sebring in 1962 , and the sound of those cars made a lasting impression.
    I love the 458. I think the exhaust note is perfect, top down in 14 seconds and digital speedo very welcome. I do agree with all comments that instruments are way too complicated, but my experience with BMW and Mercedes instruments and owners manual are about the same.Ferrarichat has been very helpful in figuring stuff out! I don’t even miss the 6 speed. But in the 360 I could could almost feel like it might have been driving a 512 M at LeMans in 1970. Well, you know what I mean.

Manda racing and x z8 like this.
  15. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman

I also went from 430 to 458–the shifting alone is enough to justify moving up

BruceC, Staylor33813 and x z8 like this.
  16. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    :When you have a Hanso sword, you can compare it to any other sword, but not another Hanso..." :D

Anthony Capone likes this.
  17. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Sound on the 458 is better when the valves are open. Just add the valve switch and you get the great sound lower in the revs. Then there is no comparison- IMO. The 458 is a true deadman’s car.

Anthony Capone likes this.
  18. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    As I said earlier, I simply love my f430 spider... however, like most, I am always looking over the fence at the newer stuff. That said, if one were to mainly be driving on the road, around town, can you get the enjoyment from the 458 spider the way that you can from the 430? I thought I read once, that it does not start to feel interesting unless you are really pressing it hard, which is of course tough around town. Whereas with the f430 , you can really enjoy it even at 60 miles an hour around town because it’s so raw.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. Anthony Capone

Jun 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I own the same 2 a verde 2009 gallard lp as and 2012 458, I am selling the G and getting a F8. I hope the F8 is as thrilling as the 458 (my fingers crossed
    I have

20. forshage

forshage Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2014
    Altadena, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl Forshage
    The 458 is a newer more powerful Ferrari with all of the electronic updates. It is a better car.
    However, when buying my first Ferrari, I was choosing between a 360, a 430, and. 458, the sales gal says to me “ the 430 is a 360 on steroids, the 458 is newer, a lot of driver aids and electronics. Hell, even I can drive a 458!”
    Call me a male chauvinist, I bought the 430 and have not regretted it.

21. Anthony Capone

Jun 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Yeah, a 458 can be driven in auto by anyone, put it in race mode, make a few 6rpm shifts and that's the wow factor a 430 cannot match, the bridge between 360 and 430 is minimal, between 430 and 458 is huge, handling shifting, it's so intuitive but can challenge your driving skill anytime you want to get into it. I have owned a 308,348,360, 430,458 and soon a F8. So far nothing comes close to a 458,

xfrgtr and wthensler like this.
  22. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I have owned a 2003 360 coupe, a 2006 430 coupe, and a 2010 Italia. I still have my 2013 spider.

First, let me say over my lifetime of owning many cars of the same brand/model over successive iterations/years, you NEVER get to keep all of the things you loved and only get rid of all the things you didn't in the "new" one! Or said another way, every "improvement" comes at a cost. I don't care if we are talking visual, mechanical, aural, etc. Regardless of how much "better" the new one is, there is/are always something(s) that you lose. The resultant experience can therefore be net better or worse.

In total, the 430 was "better" than the 360. But, I did not like it as much in many ways. Yes, the gearbox was "faster" to shift than the 360. However, the distinctive "ka-chunk" I heard in the 360 as it downshifted automatically as I came to a stop was sorely missed. Then there was the more tactile steering feel with a better heft to the wheel. Additionally there was the loss of the nuances of the 360's induction and exhaust sounds. Every 1000 RPM in the 360 gave you a readily discernible different sound. The 430 was much less interesting. Read the reviews of the time. They noticed the same.
    Next was the flat out performance. The 430 torque was much better lower in the RPM range than the 360. Unfortunately it was still weak to me. The 458 puts that motor to shame for tractability/thrust. In regards to the noise, yes, in sport mode in the 458, the 430 is louder. In race mode, the 458 is drastically improved but truly does have an annoying off/on character. BUT, put in a valve switch or pin the exhaust valves open and the 430 is no longer a winner by a knockout. More a win on points at most.

I love hearing when someone likes whatever car he/she has. So if anyone likes their current car better than another model - be it a newer or older one - I am thrilled for them. Nothing worse than wishing you had something else. Having had all 3 of the modern NA cars, I can debate their features/pluses/flaws all day. Suffice it to say, I have no desire to go back. Case in point: I almost swapped my spider for a 16M. No out of pocket money. This was before the prices rose. Despite 16M values, still happy I didn't.

Best

wthensler and x z8 like this.
  23. Anthony Capone

Jun 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Ps a true chauvinist wouldn't take a women's advice, so your not a chauvinist,

24. Anthony Capone

Jun 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Well said, owning all of the v8 except 328 and 355, a blessing for sure, but you do have favorites, the 360 was groundbreaking and the 458 is the grail, platform changes are always exciting times, I hope my F8 will inspire, but I won't part with my 458, it's the last pinnafarina natural aspired forever

xfrgtr and wthensler like this.
  25. geolem312

geolem312 Rookie

Sep 2, 2012
    Go ahead and replace exhaust on 458 for healthier sound and performance.
    I had custom headers made without the mini-cat, Capristo muffler, straight through
    pipe (no cat), or replace with 200 cell cat. You can also get the ECU chipped.
    I got extra 25 HP at wheels on my 2012 458. George.