Manettino failure | FerrariChat

Manettino failure

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Georgemaser, Dec 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    Well, I enjoyed my new to me 2017 GTC4 for the first week I had it and then yesterday, start of week two, I put it in snow and wet mode and got a ‘manetinno failure’. I called the dealer and they told me it may be the battery and to put the charger on it. I charged it all night, only to get the same failure this morning on my way to work so I shut down the vehicle for 5 minutes and the failure went away. Drivinghome from work today it did not come on again. The dealer I bought the car from is at a loss and the closest dealer is 3 hours away. Anyone else with a similar problem, fix?

2. KyleB25

KyleB25 Karting

Jun 30, 2017
    Ive been dealing with it in my F12 since I bought it 2nd hand. Had the battery replaced and bought a new tender and everything seemed great, but right before I put it in storage in October, it acted up again. I believe mine has something to do with a voltage draw on the brake switch, so they are going to replace that in the spring.

3. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    In my experience with F cars (Portofino and 812, both new/almost new), issues with manettino failure and weird error messages (eg. engine control unit failure, e-diff failure) are caused by low voltage / lack of use. For peace of mind, go to the dealer and get them to check which error codes are stored in the car. They can also clear the stored error codes. Longer term solutions are - battery tender, use the car more often and/or new battery. Hope that helps!

4. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The only difference is the FF and Lusso add the possibility of the PTU....I agree most of the time the failures are nothing to worry about but these AWD cars are a little different. I would get it to the dealer....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I picked up my FF at a non-F dealer in March. The car had not been used since November and I don't know if it was hooked on to the tender all the time. When turning the key it not only showed "manettino failure" but also "4WD system failure".
    Ignition off - waiting for 5 secs, ignition on - tadaa .... everthing OK.
    I immediately headed for the next gas station to fill her up.
    Same procedure as before. Both failures showed up. ignition off - on - OK.
    Luckily I had checked fchat before and found a thread about this topic that blamed a weak battery. So I wasn't too worried.
    Then I drove the car on the German Autobahn for 1500km (in the pouring rain :( ) and everything was just fine.
    Now after one season of regular use both of these failures only showed up two more times.
    I told my F mechanic about this and he just said with a smile "Italian engineering".
    So for me all of this is just "excentric behaviour of an Italian diva", but as long as "ignition off - ignition on" solves the problem, I don't care.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Are you using the OEM tender? I suggest replacing with a stronger one such as the Ctek 7002. Just make sure to get the proper Ferrari style connector.

I think its more likely your problem is lower voltage, but it could be so many things, on my 599, I had a parking sensor start to go bad, it didn't give any other problems until the system went crazy reporting "Manettino failure, brakes failure, transmission failure!" basically everything was failing! I brought it to the dealer and it was an easy parking sensor replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Battery-Charger-Tender-Conditioner-488-CaliforniaT-F12-FF-Portofino/192366340275?hash=item2cc9ed68b3:g:N8QAAOSwm3paDcjm

7. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No. I am not. I not using any tender because I am driving the car almost every day - and not for short distances - and she's been working fine.
    I hooked her up to a "real" tender once after sitting for one week just to check the loading status of the battery. She was fully loaded after a few hours so the battery must have been in a fine condition.
    I asked my F dealer about the original F tender and he said that the battery should be fully charged when hooked to the tender for 2-3 days.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You should have the dealer check the battery anyway- it could be simply that you have a bad one- it happens. My wife's car acted like it was just fine, then it was dead. It turns out it had several bad cells and the OEM supplier had a bad batch of batteries.

9. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    It’s been 3 days of driving now and I haven’t seen the ‘failure warnings’, I have kept it on the battery tender at night. Fingers crossed!
    I can’t believe how much I am enjoying the car. I had an 2016 FF and liked it but I even like this more. I know it goes against what everyone else said but to me it more engaging. I had the dealer put the Capristo valve control unit on the exhaust before I got it so maybe that helps but to me the steering is more weighted and the exhaust has a better note especially with down shifts.

10. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    Don't worry too much about this. I've heard this numerous times and the general concensus is just the usual: turn it off and turn it on again.

I got a semi heartattack myself after picking up the car and driving to Le Mans. Last day the whole bloody dash lit up like a christmas tree and literally every failure appeared.
    Same thing: turn it off, and turn it on again. If it re-appears, drive for 10 min and repeat.

11. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    Thank you all for the reassurance. I am loving the car. Again, even more then I liked the FF.

Caeruleus11 and Cnoordz like this.