360 - DIY Ferrari 360 F1 System Repair that saved me £20000 | FerrariChat

360 DIY Ferrari 360 F1 System Repair that saved me £20000

Discussion in '360/430' started by spiderscott, Dec 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    You should explain what it is you did rather than just fish for views on YouTube. My opinion anyway.

3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I thought that's exactly what he did. Scott had managed to kink one of his hydraulic lines and when he discovered this and replaced it, did a full bleed and re-learn it was fixed. Or did I miss something?

4. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    I have done a couple of videos on this showing absolutely everything you need to know about the F1 system on the 360/430. The reason I filmed it on video is to share all this learned knowledge as this gives you guys confidence to fix these things and helps avoid sleepless nights worrying about £20000 f1 repair bills on a part that commonly goes wrong and not many have the experience with. There is also very little documentation on this system as it is not broken down to component level and just replaced as a whole for example F1 Actuator being over £7000.

Did you actually watch it before commenting ?

Orvis 360, Marcoboxer, mdoc3 and 5 others like this.
  5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Very impressive work...

But.... You gotta get my reflash done now. I don't think there is a more effective way to transform your car. you'll be shocked. It's like adding a couple more litres capacity and a heap load more throttle response.

When are we doing it?

one4torque, kes7u and Caphill like this.
  6. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Hey Trev,

Can you do the reflash for a 2009 Maserati with a 4.7 and f1?'

Looking for a 360 for a daily, when I do you are the first one I am going to!

7. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Cheers Trev

100% we are doing that and I'll film it at the same time. Very impressive work being able to do what you have done with the reflash ECU :cool:

brookliner7, kes7u and 360trev like this.
  8. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Great videos Scott, watch all of them.

Can you get a wireless Lavalier mic? Would make your voice audio so much better, I am getting old I guess.

9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Yes! PM me

10. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Cheers :D

I tried a wired mic and it gave me more problems so i'm looking into a wireless one next and hopefully that will help with sound quality

Caphill and APA#1 like this.
  11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    So Scott great work love watching your videos

In the end ..just so I know that I followed correctly ..the main problem was the mechanical portion of the actuator with a subsequent issue of a kinked hose ?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

12. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Yes the main cause was the folk side of the actuator was not free flowing smoothly (I suspect a seal or bearing is there or its just worn). At some point I will strip out the part and take a close inspection.

The second issue was the hydraulic line EV3 first one had a small hole that leaked. Then the replacement I screwed up fitting and kinked the line, hence the lack of hydraulic pressure.

If anyone ever replaces one its worth just spending the extra time as I did the second time around and removing the airbox system to gain full access to the hoses and sock they all sit in

flash32 likes this.
  13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    All I saw was a clickbait title. Maybe you're famous here but I don't know you, I'm a newbie. If you had included the above bit in your first posting, then I would have known what it was about. Nothing against your video and no, I haven't watched it yet but now I will.

Thanks.

spiderscott likes this.
  14. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Scott..Outstanding display of perseverance...!
    I follow your Videos and learn a bit more everytime...I give you huge credit for putting yourself out there for the world to see.!
    I was really looking forward to seeing your CS all polished up...maybe next time.
    Keep up the good work and thank you for contributing to this forum.
    As you would say cheers for now.

15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    East—/. Check out rataRossa vids on u toob. Perhaps the most informative and entertaining vids that lift the skirt on f car diagnosis and repairs!

no click bait necessary

16. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Great work Scott. Did you try putting the old Fork side actuator in with the new unkinked EV3 line?

17. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
  18. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    I didn't Hans, it would have required another strip down of the actuator and then rebreeding the system again which with the fluid I use costing £14 each time adds up. I was happy to have it back up and running and didn't darn curse it going wrong again taking it apart

19. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Great video Scott! What F1 fluid are you using? I can't seem to get shell spirax S5 ATF.

spiderscott likes this.
  20. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Hi glad you enjoyed the video

the fluid I use is petronas tutela CS speed 75w

hope it helps
    Scott

21. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Isnt any Dex 3 atf sync fluid ok ? Like Mobil 1 sync atf ..from my research using Shell spirax as benchmark ..it seems to be perfect fit

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

22. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Ive not used anything other than the Shell I managed to get a couple of years back and since then the Petronas, so can't comment on how the others compare.

Mike might chime in here, as he had another brand that said was better than the Petronas. Again I've yet to try that yet, wanted to give it a go this time around but had some of my other fluid left over so used that up to get this fixed quickly

23. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Scott

I am taking a long shot here but always wondered if any fluid passes back to reservoir from actuator when screws are not loose .. i know there is a return line and always wondered if you replace the fluid in the reservoir would it eventually make it to the actuator or is it a deadend unless the bypass screws are opened two turns ?

Thank you in advance ..and if I hadn't before I want to thank you so much for sharing .. I love this stuff

24. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Mike me :)
    I use the Petronas fluid Scott. Only because it’s used widely on the Alfa systems. Any equivalent spec fluid should be OK.
    It’s the redline NS gearoil I used that improved the shifting, which is quite something if you notice it on an F1.

spiderscott likes this.
  25. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    The lines are dead-ended at the hydraulic actuator shuttles. When you open the bleed valves you allow oil to effectively flow through a series of loops back to the reservoir pushing the air out of the lines and into the reservoir. Air isn’t actually bled out at the actuator.

When the system primes the fluid flows into the accumulator and there is some change of fluid as it pressurizes and loses pressure. Some fluid will work into actuator lines but they are thin and relatively long so the only way to change the fluid properly is to bleed it through. It’s just a bit of a pfaff and poor design that the bleed screws are on the back of the actuator. If they were on the front it could’ve been done with the actuator in situ.

flash32 likes this.