94 512TR 66,000 mile major | Page 12 | FerrariChat

94 512TR 66,000 mile major

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    Jim, to cut the connectors and replace with the old ones for the fans is not a very good idea, even you did it good. would it not have been possible to remove the complete old wire with the connector from the old motor and replace this wire to the new motor?

that is why I asked how you say to a 1/4 bolt with 1/2 head. and this Jim explained as 1/2 bolt.

but now the question to the technicians here: how do you say to a 1/4 bolt with a (only for example ) 1/2 head?. we in europe say to a 8 mm nut with a 13 mm head it is a 8 mm nut.

2. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I’m not a tech, but I am a mechanical engineer. With all due respect to the OP, we don’t refer to bolts in the US by their head’s hex size. Bolts are referred to by their thread size. Because bolts are a standardized product, with experience you learn what head size each bolt correlates to, just as Romano has said. Anyway, its just semantics and the OP should feel free to call things whatever he wants, but lets not confuse anyone that this is “correct”

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you very much for this statement Tim ;)

xplodee likes this.
  4. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I never claimed to be correct, or to be a mechanic or a mechanical engineer. This is how I refer to bolts and nuts. Please end this incessant rhetoric now, or take it to some new post where correct references to bolt sizes can be debated ad infinitum. You all are hijacking my thread. I don't care how YOU do it. Honestly, it's aggravating and I'm close to ending this thread right now.

KevZep, MOSS and ago car nut like this.
  5. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  6. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  7. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sorry please JIM that I hijacked your thread, but I have been confused about your sizes and that is why I asked.
    also I think it would be good to clarify what is wrong and what not.
    in the internet there are so many wrong things and the more you read those the more you think it would be right - even it is not

so this here now is my last post in your thread. I like how you describe all and for sure this writing will help some and also convince them to do a lot of work on those great cars by themselve.

please keep on posting

EZORED and xplodee like this.
  9. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I thought I remember that certain markets had oil cooling fans...that’s my guess

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Turbo-Joe, don't stop posting, just can we please move on to a new subject.

JoeTSI and BOKE like this.
  11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Keep posting Jimbo, very informative.
    I believe you have a single plate clutch setup? My TR, I paid attention on how the two discs were indexed. Thinking it was a balanced assembly.

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Jimbo

Having a 512tr I love this post ..please continue ...

Happy holidays all

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I only say that I will not post anymore in this thread here. don´t like to make you angry because you describe all very well

you mean the old subject: 60.000 mile major

14. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    OK, Happy Holidays to all.

15. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

Yes the cars going to hot climates had oil cooler fans

You’re doing a great job Doc
    Just remember
    Italians didn’t put a man on the moon
    We did

clyde

16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ummmm... don’t be too sure about that.

Remember building 7!

17. DominicDBS

DominicDBS Rookie

Aug 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Hello Jimbo,

keep up the excellent work! I love your posts and i am not too worried about bolts!

all the best, mate.

Dominic.

18. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  19. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  20. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  21. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The stock radiators had plastic drain plugs. I called Jim at Wizard Cooling and sent him the above photos. He will completely remake the radiators. I sent him my original radiators to use as a template along with all measurements. All at their cost. Their customer service is the best, but they already had Clyde's radiators once before, so I am unsure how the error occurred. Par for the course with Italian cars.

I got one correct CV boot and one incorrect from Italy via Trutlands, so the axles remain on the bench. They, too have photos and measurements of the correct boots (apparently unique to the 512TR).

The fuel pumps from Scuderia Rampante are also delayed pending arrival of one of the pieces. And, of course the holidays are not helping shipping.

So basically, I can't re-install the fuel tanks until the fuel pump parts arrive. I can't re-install the coolant hoses until the radiators arrive. I can't change the coolant hoses that go to the heater in the passenger footwell because I can't open the doors with the car on the lift. I can't get the car off the lift because the rear wheels are off because the axles are out. I can't put the axles in until I get the correct CV boot. The oil sump and radiator can't go in until the new radiators go in, and, of course, the engine can't go in until all of above happens. So we wait.

All of the above was exasperating, so I did what anyone else in this situation would do - I went fishing in the backyard pond. Check out 2 bass on the same lure at the same time and this 7 lb monster (it's only a 1 acre pond). The big one could have swallowed the others.
    Have a Happy New Year. CYA in 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MrAwilson, Axtellboy, BOKE and 2 others like this.
  22. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    On a positive note, the thermoststs for the 512TR interchange with those from a Chevette L4 1.8 1981-86. About 8 bucks each from Advance Auto Parts.

MrAwilson, Axtellboy, Jakuzzi and 4 others like this.
  23. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

nice job Doc
    looking good

24. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Well, it's been close to one month since any substantial work has been done on the 66,000 mile major, but we're back in action now.
    TRutlands and specifically Ray Garbe did a great job in finally getting the correct CV boots from Italy and taking back all the incorrect pieces with no restocking fees. Their boots came with some aftermarket clamps, but I preferred the OEM look of the Oetiker clamps.
    I bought 6 large and 6 small clamps on Amazon for $9.59. They required trimming but worked perfectly and are stainless steel.
    Febrytold 12 Pcs CV Boot Clamp, 6 Pcs Small and 6 Pcs Large Stainless Steel Universal Adjustable Stainless Steel Drive Shaft CV Boot Clamp
    I also got 14 oz of Red Line CV grease (you need exactly 3 oz per boot) for $17.75
    Red Line 80401 CV-2 Grease, 14 Ounce Jar, 1 Pack

Unfortunately, my photos have not yet uploaded from my phone to the Cloud, so I can't post them here. Hopefully by tomorrow.
    One thing to remember is that the smooth side of the CV joint faces out when installing them on the axle. First photo correct side toward snap ring Image Unavailable, Please Login

Next photo faces inward on the axle:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Also, I received and installed the Scuderia Rampante (Dave Helms) fuel pump repair kits with quite a few kind texts from Mark, ace SRI engineer and salesperson.
    Once images reach the Cloud, I will give a blow-by-blow recap of that easy process. Stay tuned.