[Forza Ferrari] Sid’s fireside chat about non-F1 racing | FerrariChat

[Forza Ferrari] Sid’s fireside chat about non-F1 racing

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by daytona355, Dec 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    #1 daytona355, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2019
    As everyone knows, I’m one of the lunatic tifosi, the type you see hanging by his belt on a tree limb in the Monza Great Park wearing the tricolore!, while shooting limoncellos and eating tiramisu!

All my life, while I’ve been around the F1 team and that’s involved contact with the sports car racers too, I’ve never fallen in love with ALMS, Le Man and the like. Not sure why, but just have never concentrated on them like the F1 team.

Therefore, I want to start a nice thread all about the Scuderia non-F1 racing effort - Le Mans, the lot. Teach me about the more rounded areas, and let’s have some fun discussing things Ferrari from all forms of racing.

It should be noted, I’m not expecting to see guys in here that aren’t pro-Ferrari - this thread isn’t about anyone else except as they relate to Ferrari themselves. I want to learn about our cars, drivers and results in all series, and how we are doing, have done, and prospectively will do. What changes might be necessary, what works, how we excel, where we don’t!

Forza Ferrari

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Ferrari team in Series 24H was a great bunch of guys....

French I think.

Wish their luck at COTA could have been better!
    A 488GTB GT3....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

daytona355 and crinoid like this.
  3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  7. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    you know what I like mate! Hehehe..... I forgot to add that grid girl, fan girl and generally hot girlies photos should be a mandatory consideration for this thread!

what’s her story Tex, I know you would have found out every detail buddy!

8. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    love her shoes mate, just be sure to keep them away from leather headliners....... ask me how I know!

9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

I do think our GT cars look the dogs danglers, monstrously powerful but with a real style to them (bit like us owners eh? Hehe)

10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I follow sports car racing very closely but not so much F1. I will watch it if it is on, but that is about it..

So on the sports car side...what do you want to know? As such a dedicated Ferrari fan, I would guess part of the difference in your interest, F1 vs everything else, is due to the lack of factory involvement in other form's of racing.

11. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

I think you are right about that, the factory has turned it’s back pretty much on sports car racing, seemingly unable to focus amply on both at once, and so choosing f1. That’s really raising a good question..... with f1’s seeming freefall towards ever more boring rules and hybrid crap, will sports car racing actually be more appealing to the racing community again..... assuming they don’t start introducing mandatory AAA battery driven cars, shared components and maximum fuel loads! (Maybe they do some of these - see, I know nothing!)

I would definately love to see an outright factory run team take on the privateers and the other marques in sports cars - do we think Ferrari could hit the ground running and enjoy success, or am I being naive?

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That Ferrari ran 4th behind the three ruling Mercs, early on, last year they battled electrical gremlins, this year it was the gearbox, going to pieces.
    We hugged like men and promised "better next year"!

No fancy car covers, they covered it in dirty moving blankets, piled some body panels on top, and slammed the shipping container closed!
    Not even a spare gearbox to be seen, I don't know how long that would have taken on the 488.

of2worlds and daytona355 like this.
  13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's Doctor Kirchhoff of the Audi Team, smoking and hustling off a set of Hankook tires!

He's HUGE fun!!!
    I started a Thread in this Section but it did not seem to amuse many, except myself.

He had stopped to confer with the Ferrari team, like an old friend.....sportsmanship!
    I just missed that beautiful moment, between competitors....

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As for Ilsa, he calmly looked me up and down out of sight from the yellow Ducati 966, and said:
    "That's a nice jacket you have..."

The rest of the afternoon, she was mine!!
    She's got a lot on the ball....artist in oil paintings, actress...of course Instagram Influencer!!!

No shoes in the ceiling yet.....the Ducati was monoposti.

daytona355 likes this.
  15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Gulf Oil has stepped forward to sponsor the 24H Series, and sell GT40s and cuff links and stuff.

We talked purses of all things, and I think she's local talent, out of Dallas/Forth Worth.

With her white boots she sets the tone perfectly, to recall Lemans and the other epic 24 Hour races of yore....

daytona355 likes this.
  16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Notice Dr. K also setting the pace!!
    Audi R8 V10 and they flogged it all 24 hours into third, for the Season Championship in Class

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ferrari 308 GTB and daytona355 like this.
  18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Our dealer here in Houston Risi Competizione has regularly set the pace in American sports car racing and also at Lemans, with the Ferrari 488 various specifications, as FIA and IMSA are still not exactly the same spec.

19. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Keep em coming Tex! Great stuff

20. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Depends on the series and depends on the class. On the IMSA side, the next generation of DPi regulations may have a mandatory hybrid component. That class is mostly a factory pro category, but each manufacturer starts with one of the global LMP2 chassis as the basis for the car. Fuel capacity is very tightly regulated as a part of BoP. Refueling times are closely monitored as well.

When it comes to sports car racing, it is important to remember that almost all off it is customer racing. The only categories that aren't are LMP1, DPi, GTE/GTLM. Everything else is Pro-AM. Even with the full factory pro categories there are elements to balance the cars within the class.

of2worlds, daytona355 and BigTex like this.
  21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Shame all this hybrid nonsense. Ruining f1, does it do the same to the sportscar racing? Do they have fake DRS overtakes?

22. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I have an invite from Prema (is it spelt that way?) to go to a race in the new year, so health permitting I will make one - which would be the best to go too? First one, and see them testing the final setting of the car, or should I leave it till they are a bit down the line. I’ll be making it one whereby the f1 race is on the same weekend at the same circuit as I have family working for the scuderia and I’ll get pit and paddock access

23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I have a scale model of a Risi Competizione 430 challenge car I picked up at monza at the 2006 finale mondiale. Very nice livery, and sits in the cabinet alongside paddock passes signed by Michael Schumacher and Ross Brawn and a massa helmet inner balaclava and set of earplugs!

of2worlds likes this.
  24. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Two choices to consider. Monte Carlo because it is Monte Carlo....

Or you go to Abu Dhabi for the final, always nice and warm weather, get some tickets for the sunday amber lounge party too and make sure you stay for the young driver test the days after. lots of racing, lots of good parties and very relaxed. With a bit of luck you can celebrate LeClecrs first WC or Hamiltons 8th...doesnt matter as long as you celebrate!

25. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think Monte Carlo would be favorite, as I know the place having been before, there’s plenty of glamorous ladies to play with, and as I wouldn’t want to be in Abu Dhabi if Elton wins the f1 championship again with the Mercedes built in dominance. If LeClerc somehow wins, then I’ll be at every race from then on in. I’ve no desire to watch ferrari lose.