Winter storage: TireCradles or Flatstoppers or ? for Tires?? | FerrariChat

Winter storage: TireCradles or Flatstoppers or ? for Tires??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by No-Subt2, Dec 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. No-Subt2

No-Subt2 Karting

May 6, 2019
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Danny
    To prevent tire flat spots during winter storage:
    - Which do you recommend and why?
    - Or are they not worth it?

Currently the vehicle (2003 Ferrari 360 Spider) is in a non-heated garage with a concrete slab and the car will be driven at least once during the winter months near Washington DC. I also inflated the tires 7 pounds over the recommended pressures.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would increase pressure by 10 lbs and f you can just move the car 1 foot during storage

syata likes this.
  3. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    I put my car up on four 12-inch squares of 10x6..perfect..The cold damp concrete is what saps the air pressure. You will be astounded at how well this works. Also, I bevel them for a much easier drive-up. Jq.

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    They are not necessary. Just inflate your tires within 2-3 PSI of the max they can take (it says on the sidewalls). Then stick a note on the steering wheel about the increased pressures- so you don't forget before to restore them before you drive it.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I lived in Alexandria/Falls Church/McLean. Winter is not that bad or that long. I would do not winter prep. A couple months not driving isn't going to hurt anything. DOT tires go 40,000miles over all kinds of roads under conditions way more harsh than sitting in a garage for a few months.

Bertil and 2NA like this.
  6. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Agree with adding 10 psi to tires to help reduce flat spotting. Since we are talking winter storage, make sure you have a plan against rodents. Mice love covered vehicles and they can get through the smallest openings in your garage. A couple of years ago, I had a nest in the engine bay of my air-cooled 993. Glad it was not on top of the cylinder fins behind the fan - that would have been an instant overheat condition on first start-up.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  7. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I am about half an hour from you and I don't plan on doing anything different. I will drive it right up until it snows then again as soon as the roads are clear. Thinking worst case scenario is it will sit for maybe 2 months.

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Completely unnecessary. Protect from mice, don't worry about tires, they'll be just fine.

f355spider and brian.s like this.
  9. No-Subt2

No-Subt2 Karting

May 6, 2019
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Danny
    Ok...will put more pressure in the tires and drive it a bit more during the winter.

So now...how do I protect against mice??!!

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Rodents can be tricky devils to keep out. Traps and repellents are both useful. I've used this product with some success. It has a good, herbal smell. Better than the mothballs, dryer sheets that others recommend. A bit of pre-planning can help. If you store dog food in the garage, be sure it's in a metal container with a tight fitting lid. I recently had a client complain that his F430 had smoke pouring out the exhaust. When he stopped by it was instantly apparent (by the smell ) that he had dog food inside the muffler. There were also droppings on top of his engine. He told me it had only been 2 weeks since he drove the car. I won't be surprised to find evidence of chewing at his next service.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

SGM likes this.
  11. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I buy this for both of my cars in storage, cut 4 pieces for each car and drive the car on them.
    In the spring the tires stay round since they sink easily into the foam.
    Been doing it for years. No affiliation to HD

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I do this and use the Flat Stoppers going on six years now. May not be necessary but its part of the routine now. Gives me a chance to check over the car one last time as it goes into storage. This Fall it received a full correction/PPF/ceramic coat and went straight to the garage. This Spring is going to be like getting a new car again. Something to look forward to. :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats the thing- you find what works for you. I have many Tire Cradles here which I just dont bother with anymore.

A note about car covers- unless you have really cleaned the car off, I am not a fan, they just end up rubbing dust on the clear coat.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I pump up tires to 50 psi, and every 4-6 weeks roll the car to a slightly different position. Youll be mazed how after sitting for 4 weeks even at 50 psi the tires have taken a set.

15. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Nothing works better than Mint spray, now is available at Home Depot, you may spray corner of your garage or under the hood,