Gt3 to 488... I did it | FerrariChat

Gt3 to 488... I did it

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mdrums, Dec 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Well I've always wanted to have a Ferrari but since 2001 I've been a Porsche guy. My Porsche's been fun, did lots of track events over the years. I still have a Macan and my wife's Panamera GTS....

My wife really pushed me to do this and i looked around over the last 6 months. I tried to buy from my local dealer in Tampa but that's a whole other story. So I found this 460 mile 2019 488GTB at Ft Lauderdale Ferrari. They treated me very well, great trade price and great deal on the Ferrari.

The car has most of the options I wanted. I wish it had Daytona seats or Race seats with Lift Lever and red stripe down the center but at least these base seats have red stitching.

Car came with full clear bra front, mirrors, lower sides, K40 front rear radar, skid plates and ceramic coated.

I took delivery Saturday and drove it back to Tampa 300ish miles. I can't believe I have a Ferrari!!!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JAM1, dommmmm12, Coincid and 32 others like this.
  2. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Congrats - beautiful car. You will never stop smiling when you drive her.

mdrums likes this.
  3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Congrats!! What are your thoughts so far making the switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdrums likes this.
  4. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Congrats, nice choice.

I recently drove a buddy's 2018 GT3 and I was a little disappointed compared to my 488 spider. I didn't have a long drive, but I expected a bigger punch from the go peddle. The Ferrari really delivers here. The Porsche build quality was superb, it was tight, very nice handling. I just think the 911 chassis has maybe bloated too much over time. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just didn't seem as punchy or crisp as the 488. Granted, I wasn't driving it around at 7000 rpm either.

So how do you compare the two?

mdrums likes this.
  5. Bravo.

Did the same thing myself.

You won't regret it all.

sampelligrino and mdrums like this.
  6. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Looks great. Drive the hell out of it and have fun.

john a barnes and mdrums like this.
  7. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Congrats, looks great!

john a barnes and mdrums like this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! Welcome to the family! :)

mdrums likes this.
  9. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    You made the right decision. I too have a Macan in garage and there is an 06 911 and a new Panomara GTS in the family. But my 2015 458 makes me giggle and my heart race every time I get it out.

Welcome home brother!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Spider68 and mdrums like this.
  10. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Enjoy and congrats!

mdrums likes this.
  11. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    #11 mdrums, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Sam it honestly felt weird to trade in my 2018 GT3.... loved that car...but the 300 miles home was surreal to me driving the Ferrari. Never in my life I thought I'd actually own one. I tend to enjoy and drive my cars so it won't be a garage queen but I'm ocd about cleaning my cars too. I noticed the Ferrari gets going faster than the GT3, and it just keeps going and going pulling hard well above 100mph

Trying to get use to little things with the Ferrari like no turn signal stalks, Pushing a button for reverse and forward drive as i keep reaching for my pdk gear shift, not having a center arm rest for my right arm i found is odd and people driving by shooting video and not watching where they are going and drift towards me.

I'm a full left leg amputee... way above my knee. So I have a handicap placard to park in the Handicap parking space. It was raining one the way home so when i stopped to grab a burger I parked in the handicap spot to go in and order. I can't run so instead of getting soaked i used the handicap spot. This lady was pissed when i came and she was out looking at my car with keys in her hand like she was about to key my new Ferrari....i quickly approached her and since I had shorts on she could see my prosthetic leg. She was huffing and told me this space is for real handicap people like the ones with Vans!!!

So I didn't enjoy that part of ownership and worry jealous people and those that don't understand that i actually have a reason to use a handicap stop will damage the car.

12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Again, apple to orange. One is NA and one is turbo. One is track oriented and one is road oriented. They have diametrically different characteristics.

13. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Might be time to invest in a dash cam...

mdrums likes this.
  14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Also when i washed the car today and was recalling looking at it I'm surprised by how much gap there is from the tire to the wheel well/ fender. I do t want to change out springs but wondering about lower the car a little on the stock shocks. I searched for info and reviews but not finding much info. Looking a photos of 488gtb cars from Ferrari sent to magazines for reviews and tests...it looks like those cars sat a little lower. Wish i knew the alignment specs for the 488 too

dustman likes this.
  15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    What a moron. Unfortunately too many morons out there who think they're on moral high ground.

Sorry to hear about your experience but more importantly congratulations on the beautiful new (red!) Ferrari.

NRLipton, of2worlds, Jordan68 and 2 others like this.
  16. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Super congrats!!
    Looks great. Welcome to: it’s an event every time to drive it! I’ve had a lot of Porsche’s and currently 991 turbo S that my wife mostly drives. They are incredible cars no doubt but there is something intangible that a Ferrari drive provides. I just picked up an 18 488 spider and like you I can’t believe it!
    I’ve had several Ferrari’s over the years and right now honestly don’t know where to go from here. It’s the first car I’ve ever owned where I think this is enough.
    Welcome to the club
    Your going to love it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

buddyg and Spider68 like this.
  17. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Congrats. Awesome choice. Sorry about the experience with parking and glad did not get to level of vandalism

18. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Congrats mdrums :)

I also have an '18 GT3 and was blown away by the 488.

GT3 rewards the driver with sublime feedback, but it prefers to play at the top end of its dynamic envelope.

488 surprised me with its far greater breath of abilities, plus an eagerness to engage with its driver regardless of speed.

..... and the turbo delivery is simply sensational :eek:

DavidA and IloveGT like this.
  19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    You'll be grasping for turn signals for a couple of weeks. Now I love the turn buttons because with the paddles, buttons and radio controls all on the wheel, you dont have to take your hands off much at all.

Manda racing likes this.
  20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I agree. I now always look for signal on the steering wheel after I got out of a Ferrari into other car. It's that intuitive

ryalex likes this.
  21. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    I had read the LED steering wheel was a must, but was shocked and impressed, probably in equal measure, by the cars reaction to aggressive throttle...

1) flashing LEDs
    2) pull paddle for upshift
    3) 2-secs of some rapid acceleration
    4) go to #1

2-3 reps and your doing some fun speed :p

22. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    It will for sure put a smile on your face every time u drive it... Congrats

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

23. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I totally relate to the feeling letting the GT3 go and stepping up to the 488. Getting out of your comfort zone can be fun :) Personally I found it to be refreshing having to relearn what the car likes and even simply how it works after 3 991s. The interior just has presence and drama like the exterior of course, and found the power delivery and engine to be wildly apart from the GT3 yet both insanely fun in their own way.

Sorry to hear about the lady, having a valid handicap placard I wouldn't have appreciated her getting involved in my business and bluntly told her the same. It is not for her to decide who qualifies as handicapped and what that means to state the obvious, whether or not you were even wearing shorts or showing your leg and whether the car is a Ferrari or Kia. Here in LA I've seen some Ferraris and even fun cars like 997 GT3RS (!) with handicapped placards parked in handicapped spots, and I'm glad to see the owners being able to enjoy that type of car is the extent of which I think about it.

Hope that this one particular instance is the last of its kind in your experience, the attention aspect does take some getting used to. But the less I worry or think about it the less it's even apparent. In my case I'm just so overjoyed driving and experiencing a Ferrari that I don't mind, and always remind myself of what a blessing of a problem it is. Most everyone has been a good sport about it and I'm happy to share the joy of ownership with whoever wants to chat.

In any case congrats again, she is a beauty. I know you were considering the move for some time!

gabf1 and of2worlds like this.
  24. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Thanks Sam, I am loving the car...will definitely put more miles on it than usual Ferrari owners...I can't help it and let it sit. I spent the money I am going to enjoy it...LOL

I've been an amputee now for 17 years, it doesn't define my life and I go about as a regular 2 legged guy. I have never had an issue like I had even though it was brief.

Hey I haven't told the guys over on Rennlist yet about the 488...LOL

Jordan68 and sampelligrino like this.
  25. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    They are gonna wanna know if you made money on the deal. :)