Is BAT the Go-To place for buying a Dino? | FerrariChat

Is BAT the Go-To place for buying a Dino?

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Dec 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Over the 2 years+, several Dinos have appeared for sale on BAT.
    Quite a few in fact that I must ask - "Do you think BAT is the Go-To place for buying Dinos now?"
    Is it their costs, dealer exposure or consistent variety?

Example: This Dino was listed on FerrariChat and did nothing. BAT got the seller his price in a week
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1972-246gt-04860.611564/

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    BaT gets a lot of global exposure and you don’t have to be a member to see the content or photos. I like that it encourages a lot of commentary and seems to be good for both the seller and the buyer. I also like the way bidding at the end gives one time to think if they want to continue bidding. Honest good cars get validated and bad cars get exposed. Recently we saw a red Dino which got a lot of commentary and debate over its true identity.

Texas Forever, UroTrash and synchro like this.
  3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

Here’s a link to all the Dinos that were on BaT:

https://bringatrailer.com/ferrari/dino/

This coupe recently sold for $400K. I’d say that was a great result!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-ferrari-dino-4/

The red Dino discussion:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-ferrari-dino-246gt/

synchro likes this.
  4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As a seller of multiple cars on BAT. It's been no nonesense as well. I was contacted by a few buyers here on FChat, they asked questions, asked for more information, and then just stopped responding... An Fchat sale is worth a shot, but BaT has turned out to be a much better venue for me.

Texas Forever, ScottS and synchro like this.
  5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    BaT reaches a huge diverse global audience of automotive enthusiasts. FChat is mostly a more focused single marque destination. Most if not all of the Dinos on BaT were discussed real-time in depth on in FChat. Really the best of both worlds!

Texas Forever and synchro like this.
  6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    BaT seems to be an amazing resource, but appears to be US only, at least as far as listings are concerned.

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is FerrariChat still a viable selling realm?
    What happened? When FerrariChat ads started they were a hit, now I see a lot of WTB ads on FerrariChat

8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I think BaT is a horrible place to purchase an expensive car unless you're located near the car so it can be inspected in person. Having said that, I recently bought a 458 Italia out of FL w/o ever seeing the car in person. However, I did have a local Ferrari dealer do the PPI on it so I had a degree of confidence in its mechanical condition. On BaT, you have to rely on someone having seen the car who can vouch for it. Otherwise, you have to rely on the seller or whoever is representing the seller. But even then, their definition of good or great may be very different than yours. And in this soft market, flipping a car that doesn't meet your expectations isn't going to be profitable unless you were able to get a screaming deal.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    hard to beat the price still $15. worth the exposure if a Ferrari. I agree BAT gets a bunch of eyes, but higher fee and BAT will beat you down to accept a lower price. seems great if you have a below average car or wholesaler. I have many friends that have moved cars at jaw dropping prices, low prices. when I search the recent Ferrari ads it makes me want Ferraris I didn't know I even wanted. I think BAT is great, it isn't a very good argument for me to say FerrariChat is better. I will confidently argue FerrariChat is better than eBay, AutoTrader, and even dealer consignment.

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I’ve seen a seller from Greece sell some great cars on BaT. I could imagine it would be a great forum to sell and get exposure for unobtainium collector cars such as JDM, Audi RS2’s, Alpine 110’s, Stratos etc etc.

Daytonafan likes this.
  11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    A lot of people may "want" a Ferrari (or whatever) they may have not even known to exist when looking at advertisements, but acting on that desire.... ?

Can you define "better", as how or to whom ? Is there any actual data to back this "confidence" or is it just a (biased ?) opinion ?
    Just curious.

To me it appears BaT is getting to be more and more like all other auction venues with good percentage of offered lots consigned by dealers just to expose their inventory holdings to wider (and often unsuspecting) target audience, but they're not necessarily expecting to actually sell at that venue (hence pre-set "reserve").
    It also seems obvious both parties (dealers & houses) benefit from this arrangement/co-operation.

Texas Forever and ScottS like this.
  12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    BaT is suicide.

Case in point, a friend was looking to sell his Ferrari (model not important). He called me at Curated
    asking if we could help him sell it. At the time, we had two clients looking for this particular model so I
    told him to bring it in so our tech could go all through it, fix any issues and have a detailer clean it up and present it to our potential buyer(s).

To this he was agreeable.

Suddenly, after several missed appointments he announces that he's put the car on BaT. My instant
    reply was "Who the **** told you to do that, are you out of your mind?". Knowing what the BaT
    peanut gallery does to cars in the comments section (warranted or not), this was a huge mistake
    and so he thought he could contact BaT administrators and have the listing removed. I relayed that
    I didn't think this was correct.

True to form, the BaT peanut gallery unmercilessly slated the car and had my friend followed
    my advice and had the car professionally detailed, there wouldn't have been an issue. The car
    with the potential to sell for upwards of $130K was bid up to $70K and stopped.

The car with the bidding information and user's comments remains to this day rendering the car
    virtually unsellable as a quick VIN lookup will reveal.

Yeah, BaT, great bunch of guys.

BHW

BOKE and TTR like this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I see the low prices Ferrari’s have sold on BAT and since I already know plenty about them and already want most Ferraris, it moves me into the realm of “I would have paid that”.

BAT is probably a little more friendly on the buyer side. Wholesalers and those with below average cars accept the game. I think many individual sellers come away disappointed because BAT talked their reserve down and it actually sold at that level.

maybe not all Ferrari’s, but the attention and valid eyes on your car will be more at BAT than other places now.

FerrariChat and consignments are still OK.

eBay and Autotrader suck and a cesspool.

location auctions I think are struggling with most average cars.

BOKE and BigTex like this.
  14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I’ve been telling this to clients and friends for decades since it essentially applies to any/all public auctions venues, online or physical, especially if the car appears to bid or sell (for real or not) for unexpectedly/unexplainedly low figure, that “provenance” can and often will haunt the car for years or decades to come.

ScottS and BOKE like this.
  15. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My experience every time has been quite different. Sure there are a lot of people who do nothing but comment, and sometimes they're off base, but an engaged seller can set things straight pretty easily. I don't know your friend's particular auction, but it seems like selling a car with obvious cosmetic problems online is a bigger mistake than choosing BaT.

16. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I recently sold a car on BaT for a 200% profit.

The key to BaT is to find something special and be the first to bring it to market. I’ve seen that over and over a unique car bring a ton of money, and they other similar cars come out of the woodwork and don’t bring anything close.

Texas Forever and LARRYH like this.
  17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’ve seen quite a few cars on BAT from Italy, but not many from other European countries.

18. stuartlarman

stuartlarman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2009
    Tucson az
    Full Name:
    stuart larman
    IS ANYBODY SURPRISED THAT A DEALER DOESN'T RECOMMEND PUTTING YOUR CAR ON BAT OR EBAY?
    IT'S MY UNDERSTANDING THAT KEITH MARTIN OF THE SPORTS CAR MARKET REPORT DECIDED TO SELL HIS ALFA ON BAT. HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING.
    STUART

rob lay likes this.
  19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I’m seeing more and more classic car dealers using BaT such as Symbolic, Drivers Source, Copley etc

ScottS, Oengus and TTR like this.
  20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Some brokers/dealers appear to list consignment vehicles on BaT, but they probably won't recommend owners doing it on their own. ;)

Not sure K. M.s choice of sale venue reflects realities of an "average" car guys, since the decision could've been influenced by the fact that his publications existence rely heavily(?) on advertising revenue from several physical auction houses or dealers and choosing to offer his personal vehicle(s) through one of them might offend others enough to reconsider their marketing expenditure strategies.

21. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I sold my beautiful yellow GT last year for a song.
    I bet if I had put it on BaT I would have done much better......

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Your Dino is the one that spurred the thread question on. After 2 months on FerrariChat you sold it on BAT for very close to your original FerrariChat asking price.
    What was your experience with FerrariChat buyers and reaching real buyers as opposed to BAT buyers?
    Thank you

23. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  24. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    FChat buyers have asked a lot of questions, asked for more information, and then disappeared, never to answer a PM again. I have listed five different cars on FChat without sucess, four of which I then sold on BaT.

25. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I've sold my 308GTS, my 308GT4, my E36 M3 and my friend's Silver Wraith JY LWB

I'll be listing my low mileage 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ in a week or so too.

Nothing was transcending in the amount any of the above sold for. However, it was a *real* buyer, with money and a sale took place.

For that, it was worth it. Buyers have instant skin in the game, and that's the important part. Are there negatives? Sure. But it's ease of use and commitment that drives the revenue.