2020 GT500 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

2020 GT500

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Nativetroy, Jan 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Maybe I need to try one. But from what i read its a hard riding car on road.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Tried caymans over the years, too isolated and pretty boring.
    Heavily modded theyre formidable on track, but thats not street legal.

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Instructed guy in rs5sb at thompson. Impressive but driver was in lower group and was a cool day. Advanced driver on hot day would overwhelm it for sure but true about any modern performance car. Its beautiful inside and out though. Super comfortable. Would work well if you used it for track in rainy weather.

Focus rs suggestions great too. Diff over heats on track but again, just use it if bad weather and will be fine. I use alfa guilia as bad weather track car and its great. And no worries about water dripping through roof on my left leg like elise in rain. 4 cyl motor is big step down and cant turn off stability control which really annoys me so I wouldn't recommend it

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Friend has an Audi ttrs he’s tuned slightly and it’s a beast.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I have one coming hopefully soon, silver with painted blue stripes. These are more appealing to me than the C8 or any other American sports/muscle cars.

6. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    If you are looking for the Elise/ Exige feel on the track or road I don’t think any of the cars are going to be right. Having driven the RS5 a few times, it’s fun. It’s fast. But it isn’t an event. It isn’t really special. Never been on a track or over probably 6/10ths of the cars potential, but it didn’t really do it for me. The GT350 doesn’t feel Luke any other Mustang. I’ve driven all of them. I’m a die hard Ford guy. But it’s the first modern Mustang that I have wanted to own.
    The Camaro Z28 was another awesome drive. I love the motor and chassis. But hate the visibility. Both cars feel different and are special. They make the drive fun, and are cars I’d want to just take for a drive.

boxerman and Davesvt2000 like this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Im going to try a 350 on the road and see.

I liked the rpeviosu gen camaro, and the z28 despiute its weight had the daddy motor, shocks springs and great brakes.
    There is an emotional compenant to this.
    Im just fearful that a 350 will be like my e46 m3 in the end way too soft for the track without major mods. But time has moved on and maybe its really dialed in.
    For this road/track car its all about feel on track, durability/sorting and emotional desire. Theres no way its going to be faster than the Exige, its just has to be fun, sharp and durable, plus evocative usebale on road.

Everyhtign from the veloster N to Type R to Gt350, to scat pack widebody to used Z28 is on the list. Im going to try a smany as I can, one hopefully will grab me. Or by then It will be summer and Ill be using the track cars again and so just focussed on a winter road car.

I did like the wrx as a road car and its probably the ideal winter car, dont see it really working on track, but it was really noisy on the highway, seemed like the back tires were in the car. After that the HRV felt comfortable. Still maybe thats the road car way to go, because one size cant do it all.

Probably the one car that might do it all is a RS3 Avant. The sedan they sell here totaly misses the emotional mark for me, but Ill try one.

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    fun article, thanks for posting, but how do they not give some data to go along with the story? dont even know what the times were

9. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    If you watch the video the GT500 did a lap in 1:59.xx to the C8 2.00.xx. Yet it was fully decked out in full race gear including tires while the Z51 was what you would get straight from the dealer. So yeah, dumb ass comparison to me. Change the tires alone on the C8 and it would beat the GT by a good margin. Or change the dirver. We never really know what the ability of some of these staff writers is.

BJK likes this.
  10. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Not sure what you mean by this ?
    Are you referring to the CF track pack? Which is a factory option package btw, therefore is a stock car including the tires.

95spiderman likes this.
  11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Cannot really compare track times if one car has cup 2r tires and other doesn't. They are worth 1 sec per min in lap times. Plus they are very sensitive to wear and times change after even day hpde. They're like qualifying race tires.

BJK and Davesvt2000 like this.
  12. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    I agree, however, the article was stock for stock.

Changing tires on one or the other opens a whole new can of worms lol

Face76 likes this.
  13. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I think the most significant advancement by Ford is that they finally did build a car (GT500) that can compete in the same arena as many road cars without it costing $500k. The GT350 was a huge leap forward too but it is not the halo car because that position is held by the GT500. My 2014 GT500 was a fantastic car but could not turn. This car solves that problem. I hope they build the **** out of them so I can pick-up one cheap in a few years.

Ak Jim and Davesvt2000 like this.
  14. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    The stock GT500 set with max track settings beat the C8 by little over a second. Then they put the track pack on it which included tires and aero and beat the crap out of it with a 1.55.xx. I should have been more clear. The article tried to use the C8 and GT500 costs the same argument which when you add the track pack to it that is no longer the case.

But if you want to REALLY get into track times the C7 ZR1 holds the record over everyone at 1.51.xx on this course. I have no doubt that higher versions of the C8 will unseat it.

Davesvt2000 and werewolf like this.
  15. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    At over 4k lbs I don't see that Ford has done anything really. It won't do 5min before something happens. Kind of like the Z06 if you will which is also faster on this course for a lap or two.

16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wonder what zl1 camaro does on that track

17. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Supposedly the GT500 doesn't have any overheating problems, but we'll really see once they start getting into owners' hands.

Davesvt2000 and Face76 like this.
  18. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I agree. At least they tried this time to be something other than a drag car. My Hellcat doesn't turn either but its most significant contribution to me is how easy it is to drive for extended periods of time.

19. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I did a youtube search and found a video of the 2020 GT500 stock form at Willow Springs. It was a regular lapping day arrangement but the drivers all seemed to be advanced. Have to admit, the car has a lot of potential but after 3 laps the PS2 tires started going way. If you were to shed a lot of weight and add tires I think you would be a monster. But doing so takes away from this being a street car. Much like Chevy did with the Corvette the Mustang has reached its limit.

boxerman, Davesvt2000 and Face76 like this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I share this POV.
    Am very disappointed in the GT500, due to the excessive weight. Really a shame. After renting a fat Dodge, I have no interest in these pigs that make nice noise.

sainthoo and Eric R like this.
  21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Do any of you guys think they will ever build lighter and smaller cars or have all 0f the crash requirements precluded this?

22. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I think the formula that was chosen by American car makers has been more power. More power requires more weight to handle it and stop it. I always admired how Porsche 911 Turbo with over 100hp less than the ZR1 was always able to destroy it in the all American drag race to 150mph. They achieve speed via other metrics like AWD. The C5Z was one hell of a track car. If only Chevy could have spent more time developing it but the C6 was underway when it was released. The C5Z dominated T1 and T2 divisions for years after the C6 release until the rules changed to outlaw it. Corvette has now changed to the ME platform and will again attack the competition through additional power over perfecting the platform. It will be the quickest way to conquer all. The Mustang is at a deadend. Might be why GM is killing the Camaro after the ZL1 hurrah. They saw the writing on the wall.

boxerman likes this.
  23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    There are many of us who would pay $120k for a 3,200lb, Shelby-shaped 500hp well sorted car. Porsche and McLaren and the lame NSX bore me. A good looking, throwback design, with bellowing exhaust notes in a tight and light package would be awesome. I suppose there are not enough of us to justify the car though, so the masses get a 4,000lb pig.

Eric R likes this.
  24. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    You and me both and with a manual. Your post just made me ask myself who would be a likely company to build that front engine, light weight, high performance car with a manual option? Dodge and with a new Viper or something related to it somehow. They have the balls to try something like that.