New 360 F1 owner. broke down first day. Any help would be great. | FerrariChat

New 360 F1 owner. broke down first day. Any help would be great.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Pono1, Dec 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pono1

Pono1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    australia
    Full Name:
    Cris Ponoran
    Driving in auto & accelerated. As it dropped gears I went to accelerate again and went limp. Felt like when you run out of fuel. Pulled up low idle and no throttle response.
    Turned off then went to turn back on but check engine and f1 failure light on solid. 1 beep by 4 beeps on immobiliser. Cranks but no fire.

Checked general troubleshoot:
    Pump works
    Fuses ok
    ATM fluid level good
    New battery
    Boot lid switch good

Ordered obd2 port reader in the mean time WTF?? Im checking the brakes today then I'm out of ideas. Merry Christmas

2. MCASEY

MCASEY Rookie

Apr 1, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Brake light switch? And Ground contacts.

3. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Are you saying the Engine is not revving above a certain RPM even when parked in N ? Or does it lack power when you try to move it. Or not starting at all. Not sure about your problem.

Never heard of Gear Box suppressing the Engine starting if in N. If you recently bought the car and are unsure about its frequency of use here is how I would go about it.

Turn off the Batt cut off for 20 mins, then turn on again.
    Let the Gear box cool off in case the F1 light has come on

Try to start the Engine.
    If non start (cranking but not starting) , check the alarm light Use the FOb switch to see if it locks/unlocks doors.. If the car was not used for a long time, the sealed alarm behind the bulkhead may be dead (its ni cd battery usually leaks and destroys the electrics.) If its damaged you need to check the 5A fuse for it. Quickly replace it and then disconnect the hidden alarm,
    If its all good, then a non start or poor start (Engine starts but runs rough like its suffering fuel starvation) is usually the fuel pumps for a car with no service history or if not used regularly. The fuel pumps get gunk in them and get destroyed if the car is not used for sometime or if they are over 10 years old. I did a full tank clean up in my 15 yr old car and put new pumps for a Engine that had v low power. Its the same for the Ferrari 550, Maserati 3200, Maserati 4200.

The next item that goes bad is the AIrflow mass meters or the Exhaust Control stations (Green coloured ECU's) . Again with these items the Engine should start but will run rough or lack power.

Hope this helps.

greg328 likes this.
  4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Where are you? Complete your profile.

5. Pono1

Pono1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    australia
    Full Name:
    Cris Ponoran
    Engine not starting. Turns but not starting. New fiamm lp640 battery. Checked brake switch. Works as when brake presses I am able to shift gears in F1. When depressed it’s a no go. Brake lights all good. Fuses all good. Ignition on I have check engine, asr, abs, F1 failure. Like there’s no fuel. I’m out of ideas. Have a diagnostic tool but doubt it will get here for several days with Christmas. I am from Australia NEWCASTLE NSW. Will finish profile only just signed up

6. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Did you cycle the alarm (on and off) prior to start?

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Would a crank sensor or speed sensor cause this problem? Or can a 360 engine run on one crank sensor? Does the F1 system use the rpm signal from a specific crank sensor? Does the ABS/ASR use an rpm signal? Or are these lights simply on as a prestart light check?

8. Pono1

Pono1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    australia
    Full Name:
    Cris Ponoran
    I
    believe they are suppose to turn off. Mine do not. Not what you want on the first day of owning your dream car. Haha

9. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Crank sensor failure will prohibit car from starting. But there are 3 checks you can still do without the OBD for a dead engine . Could be so many things. Fuel pump relay, fuel pumps, car alarm, Main ECU (highly unlikely but still possible) .

a. Did you use the FOB switch and open and close the doors using the alarm ?. (Just to be sure that the alarm is working and is disarmed) Main battery swap has nothing to do with alarm. Alarm module uses its own internal battery that is slow charged by the main batt. This module goes bad and can suppress the engine from running if its constantly armed. The only way to check is to sit inside the car and press the FOB and then start the engine.

b. FUEL. Check fuel rails by removing the end valve stems (Like the tyre valve caps) . Have someone try to crank the engine while you can check the valve by pressing the release spring to check if any fuel squirts out at pressure. If not, the fuel pumps likely gone or relays not getting the current. Depending on your skill level and availability of things you can do a basic check. I had spare looms so I had cut off a fuel pump cable connector to make a spare jump lead, removed the fuel pump cable from the car wiring loom and then run the fuel pump using a slave battery to see if fuel moved through the system and return came back from return pipe.
    c. Can remove one spark plug and check if its getting a spark. (If so , you know its a fuel issue).

These cars are very well made and during my 14 year ownership, I had very limited problems on my 360.

Good luck

Qavion likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i think what he mean by this is trying standing on the brake pedal with all your weight and see if it starts.
    also the front hood need to be completely shut for a 360 to start. probably not that but always good to know

11. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Not entirely correct I think. I am sure i have started my 360 Engine with hood open but can not move gears if its open.

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh think ur right

13. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Sounds like car is home. I wouldn’t turn off master because data as to what may have happened will be lost. I can’t fathom there are no auto parts stores with Obd readers for sale nearby. Makes sense tho have a spare anyway. Read codes first any other advice is conjecture.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. Pono1

Pono1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    australia
    Full Name:
    Cris Ponoran
    Update: Battery reset done again but left it longer. She fired up! What I believe has happened is when they replaced battery the ferrari start up procedure was not followed. Ie i just got in and drove. Found other issues however, leak from FR hard line coming out of abs air module, coolant heating when stationary and coming out the the screw cap. Minor issues hopefully. Happy its started and running.

Mimmo Blue, 2NA and Qavion like this.
  15. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    New coolant caps are available

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  17. Pono1

Pono1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    australia
    Full Name:
    Cris Ponoran
    No PPI mate. Auction buy and short notice so i took a gamble. Car exceeded my expectations however being 20years old and at auction I was expecting it to need a few things. I am thinking the cooling issue is fan related as when driving temperature stays cool. as soon as its stationary is when it climbs. Im going to check and test fans after Christmas. Thanks for everyones advice and help.

Qavion likes this.
  18. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Check that the rollover valve is not tripped.

19. Pono1

Pono1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    australia
    Full Name:
    Cris Ponoran
  20. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You've got guts! Good luck.... You'll love it once you've sorted it.

21. Pono1

Pono1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    australia
    Full Name:
    Cris Ponoran
    Thankyou!! And trust me I cannot wait!

22. Pono1

Pono1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    australia
    Full Name:
    Cris Ponoran
    Qavion likes this.
  23. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I recently replaced a seized left side fan as well. Big job, had to remove the front bumper otherwise I could bot get the old one off.

In future I will replace with a better (better sealed motor) because of the harsh environment the fans sit in.
    I believe (based on my research) that there are Flex-a-Lite or Derale rad fans requiring small minor mods to the size of the plastic surround will be better

Good luck with yours

24. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Hey mate I think I know this car .. I am also in Sydney Australia did you get it from greys online ? If so I can help you with the previous mechanics number and history on the car .. don’t feel alone my 360 is being s bag of crap at the moment to

25. Pono1

Pono1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    australia
    Full Name:
    Cris Ponoran
    Hey mate yeah I did. Was abit of an impulse buy. Lol I’m up in Newcastle. I got a dash sticker with the last mechanic guy I think. Have history up until 2016 in the books all at Ferrari. They guys changed up the battery before I took it. I started it again today n playing up again so thinking of throwing on the truck n running it to Ferrari for a fix and a drain of the bank account .

EastMemphis and Aj360 like this.