For Sale - 1978 Ferrari GTS needing work | FerrariChat

For Sale 1978 Ferrari GTS needing work

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Vintageracecars, Dec 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vintageracecars

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2016
    Furlong, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Chuck Pitt
    I am selling my 1978 308 that I have owned for over 35 years. The car has 25,500 miles and I am the third owner. The car initially was Silver/Red, but the second owner had the exterior painted red after the original paint cracked. I had a high end restorer change the interior to black. The car resides in a heated garage, covered. The paint looks great and the interior looks new.

Recently I sent the car to Algar for a PPI and the results were that it needed some work to be top shape.

First Gear: the synchro is bad so shifting back into first while moving doesn't work well. I found that out when I first drove the car back in the 80s, but I thought that first gear wasn't synchro like the MG that I was driving at the time. So I wait until I am stopped to shift into first, no problem.

Compression: the second cylinder has 80 lbs.and the rest of the cylinders have 130-145. I don't know how long it has been low, I really can't feel any problem.

Tires are older

Engine Gaskets are weeping. Not enough to reach my garage floor, but visible.

Belts should be changed. I had them changed about 6 years ago and put under 500 miles on the car in that time.

Overall the car looks fine, drives fine, no accidents. I want $40,000 for the car or nearest offer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Chuck, is just the investigation as far as the 80psi cylinder 2 event went?

What was the recommendation by Algar to this issue?

3. Vintageracecars

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2016
    Furlong, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Chuck Pitt
    Algar said to either drive it as is, (I'm not sure how long this cylinder has been low). Or fix the one cylinder. They would change the sleeve and piston and rings. Of course they would like to change all the rings in all cylinders. I truthfully can't tell that the one cylinder is low when driving the car.

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Interesting. I'm perplexed that they would say to drive the car. That is pretty low compression, and failure there, could obviously cause a small issue to become a very large issue. Did they scope the cylinder? Or just give the compression number? This would be an interesting car to buy for relatively short money.

5. Vintageracecars

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2016
    Furlong, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Chuck Pitt
    I will give the car to an engine builder that I know. He will scope inside the cylinder and perform a leak down test to determine if the low compression is due to a leaky valve, ring problem etc.

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    LightGuy likes this.
  7. Vintageracecars

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2016
    Furlong, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Chuck Pitt
    Thank you for the post, that could be the problem as the car has sat for almost 10 years. I will investigate it further before any further actions.

8. Dockboy

Dockboy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2013
    Maryland
    Where is the car located?

9. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Painters installed your tail-lights backwards, the orange lenses should be on the outside. FYI

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You might try a solvent soak, to free the rings in the low cylinder. As Algar suggested use might do it too....

Color change is an issue but it's better red/black than silver/red, IMO
    Low miles is low miles, I think you are low by $20K on the value.

1978s are not as good as the NON CATS but still far better potential than the later cars.
    Early cams and tuning could make this a real nice car.

GLWS!

11. Vintageracecars

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2016
    Furlong, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Chuck Pitt
    Thank you for the text, I plan on soaking the rings with Marvel Mystery Oil and then check the compression again as the car has been sitting.
    The tail lights have been changed since that photo. The car right now is at Algar, but I plan on picking it up this week and take it home about one hour north of Phila. If the compression rises to normal range, the price will rise also.

BigTex and 308 milano like this.
  12. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    PM sent. Walt

13. Benzin101

Benzin101 Rookie

Dec 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val Dan
    Please contact me at [email protected]
    I don't know how to send personal messages through this board.

14. Sky Patterson

Sky Patterson Rookie

Dec 22, 2019
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    John Sky Patterson
  15. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    As a prospective buyer, I went to see the 308 at Algar today. The car as described by Chuck is very accurate. The paint work is very nicely done. I could not find, short of taking panels off, where the car was originally silver. There are a few paint chips but nothing that can't be taken care off. Who ever painted it went to great extremes. The interior is spectacular. The leather is supple, soft and looks barely used. In fact, the ordinal owners manual was found in the door pocket.

In speaking with the Algar mechanic, who has been there since 2000, he personally spoke about any issues he found. There is the compression issue on number two cylinder. He told me he performed a wet leak down test and feels that it is a ring issue from non use. He would not commit on the rings loosening up if driven.
    He stated that there is adjustment left in the clutch and it is not slipping. The 1st gear synchro is bad but will go into gear once stopped. (Who needs to downshift into 1st anyway.). He stated the car could use a good tune up and replacing the original points ignition with the electronic one, fluids change and definitely tire change (looks like late 80's early 90's Comp TA's. The spare tire looks like original Michelin and still has the paper tags on the tread.

The Algar mechanic put the car on the lift for me to inspect the under carriage and engine compartment. There is oil weepage on sump plates, but no drops. The airpump has been disconnected and the pulley taken off. There are indications of oil leakage from the disconnected air pump housing halves, as evidenced by the burnt oil spot directly below on the exhaust pipe.

The rear calipers look new along with the cooespondig SS flexible brake lines.
    I did not see any dry rot or cracking on any of the rear suspension rubber bushings. All looked good.

The undercarriage looks fairly clean. I was amazed that there were no spider webs or signs that the car sat for a period of years. There were some slight chin scraping marks but no gouges.

The car is well worth the money. In fact, it may be under priced for a fairly original unmolested 40 year old car. Unfortunately, the car I thought I sold to make room for the 308 fell through. My wife said one of my 13 cars needed to go.

Please note that I am not affiliated what so ever with the seller. I first spoke to him this past Saturday. The comments above are just my opinion and nothing more

Someone please buy the car before I do something stupid and piss off my wife

Zanny1, AandSC, absostone and 2 others like this.
  16. Benzin101

Benzin101 Rookie

Dec 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val Dan
    @Vintageracecars Please consider the car sold! Email sent.
    @Jgivoo Thank you for posting this info! Great service for the community.

17. Vintageracecars

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2016
    Furlong, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Chuck Pitt
    Thank you for taking the time and inspecting my car, and thank you to Algar for taking the time to discuss the car with you.
    Now I have two people wanting to buy the car.

18. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Nice XMAS gift to yourself !! PS, check the motor mounts, if you replace them, the car will shift like a knife through hot butter, synchro bad or not, shifting to first will be easier

Thank you

19. Vintageracecars

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2016
    Furlong, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Chuck Pitt
    Thank you, I'll pass this info on.

20. Benzin101

Benzin101 Rookie

Dec 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val Dan
    Great info! And what are people's favourite places to buy 308 consumables, like brakes, clutch, belts, etc? Thinking ahead here...

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Read Hagerty's recent recap of the 308 models, you are actually low by $32K (I was off in my first shot from the hip!! LOL!)...
    They put a '78 GTS at $72K…...

There's a link to it in the 308 Section, come down there and join that thread.
    But OTOH it looks like you have some action.

True enough that stuck ring could always snap, instead!
    But as Algar mentioned I would just repair that one hole and drive on.....

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's in Hagerty's article also, the service of these cars now with internet support is actually about 3X easier than when they were new!
    Note I said "easier" not "cheaper"....lol!

But belts hoses brakes, all very doable these days, even crash parts, God forbid......

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good tip as the motor mounts are rubber isolaters and they do indeed perish.

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    So....what happened to it???

Bump for more info....

25. Benzin101

Benzin101 Rookie

Dec 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val Dan
    I did buy the car and got it home last week. Car was exactly as described and I'm very happy with the purchase.
    #2 dry and wet compression test readings are the same, which leads me to believe it's not a ring issue, but rather valve not sealing all the way.
    Very common for cars that have been sitting. The problem should go away after some miles. If it doesn't, I will be lapping the valves. Either way, nothing serious.
    Algar is sending me some belts and fluids. In the meantime I'm hoping the weather will improve soon, so I can drive the car more.

Jdubbya, RJHD3, Ryan... and 4 others like this.