my new 328 has a cold! | FerrariChat

my new 328 has a cold!

Discussion in '308/328' started by albert_k, Dec 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. albert_k

albert_k Rookie

Nov 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Albert Khasky
    ok..so clearly she didn’t like her temporary quarters in an unheated garage...came out and found hydraulic fluid on the concrete floor under the spare tire area AND forward of the oil pan halfway between the rear tires. seems unlikely she would spring two separate hydraulic fluid leaks..the one up front was only a few drops. the one in the rear was like the size of pancake..thoughts?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There is only one hydraulic fluid in the 328 and it's brake fluid. You have a leaky system. Take care of that immediately.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It might be leaking in one place and running both ways

Hinecker likes this.
  4. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning Albert,
    Mike is probably right, take look at the master cylinder. By what you're saying it may be coming from there and there is a tunnel that goes to the rear(containing the coolant pipes). If brake fluid gets in this tunnel, it could easily travel towards the rear of the car giving the impression you have another leak.

Good luck!

John.

5. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Also likely that the unheated storage has a rodent or two who were curious about the new horse in the stall.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    By the way, what model year is this 328. The brake system changes drastically at the end of the model years.

7. albert_k

albert_k Rookie

Nov 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Albert Khasky
    it’s a very late 89...so yes, ABS. oddly, it stopped leaking when i transferred it to heated storage...i’m thinking worn seal or loose fitting that leaked in the -5 degree temps.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #8 Rifledriver, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    I am thinking loose clamp on a coolant hose.

The coolant I use looks and feels just like brake fluid.

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yeah, the first thing to do is be certain what kind of fluid it actually is! Coolant leaking is far more likely than brake fluid. Rubber hoses/hose clamps in the cooling system can loosen/lose their seal with low temps. There are no rubber hoses/hose clamps in the hydraulic system.

In the marine world, one of the typical things to do after the winter is to check/tighten hose clamps. It is amazing sometimes how loose a formerly tight hose clamp can be... ;)

thorn and 308 milano like this.
  10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm going with a coolant hose leaking at the junction under the spare, and traveling down the outside of the pipe towards the back of the car.

11. albert_k

albert_k Rookie

Nov 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Albert Khasky
    so..i took a couple of big floor pans and lined them with paper towels. i took a sample of antifreeze, engine oil, and brake fluid from that car and made reference spots on the paper towel edge. keep in mind thdt the car is now in heated storage...it was brake fluid by the way. almost straw colored.
    After 72 hours...nothing..not one single drip of any fluid on the paper towels whatsoever. i think this car just never wants to be anywhere near zero degrees. i will torque everything once the lift arrives just to me save bit for now i’m calling this “cold induced stress incontinence” :)

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Your car should not leak anything because it's cold. You have a problem, Find it and fix it, especially if it brake fluid. Otherwise, you may end up like

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. albert_k

albert_k Rookie

Nov 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Albert Khasky
    it does concern me..i just don’t know what else i could do but tighten everything to spec and get it in the cold weather again to try to induce a leak. if it does, then start replacing the seals as i’d expect they are all the same age and same relative state of wear?

14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    If it is brake fluid, most likely place for a leak is in the power brake booster. Do the brakes work correctly/pedal feel OK?

15. albert_k

albert_k Rookie

Nov 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Albert Khasky
    they do! they feel really good...and as i understand it, the clutch uses the same reservoir. as to the brakes, they stay firm for an extended push and hold. clutch feels great. even takes second gear dead cold with no complaints other then the expected stiffness.

16. albert_k

albert_k Rookie

Nov 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Albert Khasky
    i slipped some paper towel around and under the reservoir as i thought it might be a fitting down there..it was bone dry ‍♂️

17. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Oil from AC compressor? Just throwing it out there. Been reading Martin’s thread about his leaking compressor.

18. albert_k

albert_k Rookie

Nov 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Albert Khasky
    oil from A/C?? hmm..hadn’t thought about that...she’s still on R12 by the way :)
    any way i can test? what dripped was slick and thin. no smell i could detect

19. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Was that because of brake failure?

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    ?? Just a picture off the web. Would hate the see Albert's car end up that way because of an over looked brake problem. For me there are two things I worry about more than anything else; stopping and steering. Everything else is optional. :)

miketuason likes this.