348 / Mondial T : Fuel Anti-Evaporator Canister Device | FerrariChat

348 / Mondial T : Fuel Anti-Evaporator Canister Device

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by SonomaRik, Jan 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #1 SonomaRik, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    Mondial T / 348 : Fuel Anti-Evaporator Canister Device

First a Question: Why- What does it do, since not a required item except in certain areas

The Anti Evaporator Canister, see below pics [OOPS, lost subscription so here's the Ricambi links http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?V=diag&I=1896 & http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=198558 ] seem to be a major problem IF left too old. My question is WHY is this even needed.
    It seems to collect the vapor from the fuel system --> filters it [of what?] in the canister --> recycles it via the cam cover --> then back into the intake area.

Vapors being recycled seems a good thing, but not entirely necessary IMO.
    The problem comes, and can’t seem to find much on this, is when that charcoal canister starts to either break down due to age or ?? and the particles within the canister get sucked into the intakes causing carbon damage. [oh, ya', you had better check it out]

This car has about 40k+ miles and never has anyone mentioned to replace the canister. Yet it could cause extensive damage to the pistons, valves etc.

Seems, a simple in-line filter, to trap the loose bits can relieve the problem IF not solve it entirely.

Has anyone had this similar problem and/or found a solution? Comments on this item would be appreciated.

Perhaps, since Mondial Ts were ahead of the production 348’s that they will obviously experience this sooner. I’m posting this in both spots as Mondial T owners and 348 guys need to have this addressed, albeit, they can be different as the diagram suggests.

{ The only thread I could find even mentioning this canister is here: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152763&highlight=evaporator+canister ]

[ANOTHER] Bit of trivia, which I have no answer:

I see from Ricambi’s diagrams and such that there are various differences for 348 engines. Some require this or not or different depending on SMOG/Exhaust laws. So, it almost seems one can entirely bypass the system and just be done with it.

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #2 ernie, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    My thread on the purge valves should give you some info.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241642

The charcoal canister on my 348 is WAY EASY to replace. The problem is finding the canister at non-Ferrari prices. A Fiat Uno used the same canister, but I never found out how much they cost.

As for what cars have the evap system, it's the US cars.

3. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Excellent thread and VERY important thread as it [almost] addresses the Canister too. My canister is toast/completely vacant of filtering material. Bits everywhere, and I can see the interior marks on the interior cam cover just across from the canister's inlet nibs or cylinders 7 & 2.

I realize these canisters are there to help the venting to the outside, but honestly an inline filter would do as much and/or prevent particles from being injected into the ports. Albeit, from your original thread, a LARGE filter to prevent vacuuming to the gas tank.

I don't see much reason to keep them as if they vent to the exterior without being burned, it would NOT hurt emission testing. Wouldn't even register IMO.

Just saying: CHECK you canisters!! Might be posting more on this later.

great post, and I guess I should have narrowed my search to just 'canister'.

4. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Let us know if you find the canister and a decent price.

5. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Sorry for late reply: Still looking, but like your response on alternative parts.

6. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Where does it say that the vapor canister is "not a required item except in certain areas"? As far as I can tell, it's required everywhere.

7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #7 Miltonian, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just for giggles, I looked up charcoal canisters on Chris Obert's Fiat parts site. He has a new canister for an injected Spider (Fiat part #4442162 - 17 of them in stock) for $84. I have no idea how the physical dimensions and hose fittings compare with a 348 canister, but they must serve the same function and they SHOULD be adaptable. The Fiat canister at $84 compares rather favorably with the Ferrari canister at $897. I'm NOT saying it's a direct bolt-in replacement!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Oh come on... the price is only like one decimal place different......

:)

9. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #9 ernie, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    BUWAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!!!

B!TCHEN find Jeff! That kicks ASS!!!!

Leave it to Ferrari to mark things up 900%, things that they don't make.

That was a great find. It may not be a direct bolt-on, but I'll bet it's really close.

Long live the Brotherhood!!!

10. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

And $42 here: http://www.difatta.com/inventory/fiat2.pdf

11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    AWESOME Shemp!!!

12. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1

13. Ralph Mordhorst

Aug 2, 2019
    Latvija
    Full Name:
    Ralph Mordhorst
    Fiat Uno and Alfa Spare part Number 60548304

trainsplanesandautos and ernie like this.
  14. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
  15. Ralph Mordhorst

Aug 2, 2019
    Latvija
    Full Name:
    Ralph Mordhorst
    Yes, both have only one IN and one Out. Alfa part 60682655 matches also, even better because connections are on top.Just mounting is litte more complicated, you must
    modify the plastic a little, but this is no big deal.

I bought this 60682655 and will get in January. will inform about result. My 348 is from 6/90 and has never got a new one. i am owner since 1992 and car was always in Ferrari service for but nobody did even told me that i have to change. Car did run 130000 km.

ernie likes this.
  16. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thank you for the info. Please post your results, I want to do this.

Thanks
    Jerry

17. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Ditto

18. Ralph Mordhorst

Aug 2, 2019
    Latvija
    Full Name:
    Ralph Mordhorst
    Hi Jerry, Did receive today the new part. Royal Mail did send within 4 days to Latvija. To USA will take longer time . Did change the canister in 30 minutes. All is fine. I had to adjust only the plastic brackets on the new canister.
    Did pay less than 55$ including post fee - Original part from Alfa, no Chinese product.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Alfa-156-147-GTA-GT-2-5-3-2-V6-Activated-Carbon-Filter-New-Genuine/273911902354?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

ernie likes this.
  19. Ralph Mordhorst

Aug 2, 2019
    Latvija
    Full Name:
    Ralph Mordhorst
    ernie and Wade like this.
  20. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  21. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thank you so much. I am going to order. Are the connectors labeled so you know which hose goes where?

22. Ralph Mordhorst

Aug 2, 2019
    Latvija
    Full Name:
    Ralph Mordhorst
    Good morning. On the Alfa Cannister i bought are on the top of the connections arrows which are the marks for in and out-
    As attachment i send the scheme/plan of the evaporator system.

If anyone needs other parts for Ferrari 348 please feel free to contact me. I have a lot of possibilities to get cheap original and aftermarket parts.
    For example. My 2-disk clutch i gave to refurbish in UK and got back better than new for less than 450 €.

Attached Files:

348TN and JLF like this.
  23. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Great info, thanks!

Here's the same item (and seller) but in English.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Alfa-156-147-GTA-GT-2-5-3-2-V6-Activated-Carbon-Filter-New-Genuine/273911902354

24. Ralph Mordhorst

Aug 2, 2019
    Latvija
    Full Name:
    Ralph Mordhorst
    We did produce the Ferrari Pad nr.147338 from original material Nylon 4.6
    We have always some available.

Attention: When you will use this you have to drill a hole 1,3mm. Check the old one and drill in exact sam place

Other product you can buy come without this advice, please be sure that your mechanic will know about this!!! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ernie likes this.
  25. Ralph Mordhorst

Aug 2, 2019
    Latvija
    Full Name:
    Ralph Mordhorst