Time for a Checkup | FerrariChat

Time for a Checkup

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Subito Grigio, Dec 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    After 2.5 years my '83 Mondial QV Cabriolet is returning to Dave Helms and family at SRI.

SRI reworked and refurbished key aspects of the car back then - and it has been trouble free since that time.

I had one episode in which some critter got under the car and ate orange plug wire sleeves. I live in Southern California. Dave sent replacements.

The trigger for shipping the car back to SRI now is a very loud exhaust leak which appeared a week ago. I called SRI and discovered a shipper was bringing cars in this direction and picking up a vehicle six miles from my home! My car is Gone to SRI!

I've asked SRI to do about seven smallish things and put the replacement parts I've gathered during the last 2 years in the rear trunk.

Will provide a few updates as we go.

SG

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Wade, paulchua and Drewbdo like this.
  2. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    There's no better place to send your car.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You could have shown up at the SoCal Stooges and done some of the work there. But we understand why some owners prefer someone else to turn wrenches.

Allen S. likes this.
  4. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    I'm going to change this conversation a little.

Let's say my '83 Cabriolet is in very good original condition with all known issues addressed by SRI. Approx. 75,000 miles. If I take the position I will not sell it unless I receive $45,000 - will I find a buyer who travels to the car and, finding the car to be as described, buys it?

If such a buyer does not appear now, how long do you Think I would have to wait - keeping the asking price constant?

Hypothetical. A query to try to discover the current to future sales price trend line for a well-sorted Mondial QV.

Let's hope this is an interesting topic.

SB

5. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
  6. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Honestly, I think that you would struggle to pull $45K on an exceptionally nice, sorted QV Cab with 75K miles on it. Here's why:
    • The car is a QV - great cars, but not the most popular in the Mondial pecking order. The most popular tend to be the T's followed by 3.2s, then QVs.
    • The car is a Cab - great cars, but Coupes tend to pull the highest dollars in the Mondial world.
    • The miles while not high by general terms, are high in the Ferrari world. Higher miles do have an impact on Ferrari values.
    There have been several nice QVs on the market this past year that have haven't brought more than mid 30s at most. So, as much as I hate to say it, you're probably looking at a realistic market value for a really nice QV Cab with 75K miles on it in the mid 30s at best. This is just my opinion based on following visible sales of Mondials over the past several years.

It'll be great to hear what others have to say.

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  7. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    Well stated and probably very accurate. So for the seller who will not decrease the price - the car will continue to be maintained (which costs) and enjoyed until some future point or different circumstances. Is anyone willing to forecast when the QV sales price will increase? Important point: The QV has only about 2 computers and many maintenance tasks an be done by the owner. Today's other V8's, etc., present a very different story. The Ferrari Mondial is both affordable (if one must have a Ferrari) and mechanically accessible if desired. Financial capacity and a real, demonstrated mechanical capability with a car is a heady thing. I think eventually more and more folks will understand the desirable difference.

8. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    This may be perceived as heresy given the subforum, but I honestly don't foresee significant upside for the Mondial for quite some time. The automotive market and demographics are changing fairly rapidly. The Mondial has never been one of the most sought after in the Ferrari line. I absolutely love mine and have always liked them. However, prices continue to drop for other Ferrari models that are perceived as more desirable by a significantly larger percentage of the population. In my mind, that creates a price ceiling for the Mondials which will be tough to break out of except for the absolute nicest, lowest mileage, and most sought after (T and 3.2 Coupes?) examples. I personally wouldn't purchase a Mondial for the potential upside, but instead for a nice, classic Ferrari that drives fantastic with all of the right attributes at a very reasonable price.

2cam

ronfrohock and paulchua like this.
  9. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    My reading of the macro situation is very similar to yours. Further, dumping may occur - but parts will become plentiful. And - the foreign market will probably not swoop in - but in a few cases the well-sorted QV might find itself in Europe - which appears from reading - to be more aggressive about getting and enjoying the Mondial.

10. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    The mileage will hurt you even though it's not fair that is just the way the market is. As far as future values while I don't have a crystal ball I don't see prices going up significantly anytime soon. I think if 3x8 prices kept rising then eventually you would of seen more people gravitate to the Mondial but 3x8 values have been coming down.

2cam likes this.
  11. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I think eventually anything with a gated shifter will rise a bit, but probably will be awhile yet.

paulchua likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    @Subito Grigio I wouldn't expect anything above 35K for your car in the current market. Could that change? Of course! However, I agree with @2cam I think the Mondial will follow inflation, that's it.

If you're interested in the potential upside, I would sell, get the 35K and invest in something else.

2cam likes this.
  13. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    If I use a very conservative 2% annual inflation rate I would need to keep the car about 14 years (and keep it in well-sorted shape) to reach the $45,000 stated price objective. I'd be 82, hahaha! The car would be 51! I've owned the car since 2002, so I will have owned it (and enjoyed it - except at some point I couldn't crawl in -) for 32 years in 2034.

Interesting.

SG

paulchua likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Keep in mind nobody knows for sure! They could for some reason go up like crazy, I just think the best approach is to keep it if it gives you joy, if not use the funds elsewhere.

Best wishes to you

15. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    Best Wishes to you too, and all Mondial owners regardless of your model. Ho-Ho-Ho! Merry Christmas!

And many thanks to the FChat Community and Administration for this Forum. FChat and eBay keep our cars running - an absolute fact.

16. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The Mondial seems a lot like the Maserati Bora, a fantastic car to drive day to day, comfortable and maintainable, but not with the hard core badass racing persona that seems to be more common among collectible sports cars. Of course living with the badass cars is tiring, but the image seems to matter to collectors more than the actual usability. Unless you have some styling aspect that becomes iconic, like eg. the Dino and its beautifully rendered curves, the cars will likely languish in the value purgatory zone for some time to come. But a similar Ferrari model, the Queen Mary 365GT/4 panned in its time for being viewed as too soft has now found its stride, and buying one cheap is no longer possible. Maybe the angular, Bertone like style will end up being so distinctive, even withih the Ferrari range, that it will get a following for its design at some future date. It really is unique among the Ferrari styles, and an unusual Pininfarina departure from fewer curves to more angles. Once the number of good cars is down to a few hundred, the market for collectors will take off. I would guess another 10 years, like the Dino timeline, would be realistic. I would also suggest the current preference to favour values to the hardtop will revert to the cab as the more fuller enjoyment experience for the cabs for a GT type car prevails, as it tends to with most other cars with hardtop and cab variants. In the meantime, my ongoing goal is to have the best mainained and well used and enjoyed Mondial 3.2 cab on the planet.

paulchua likes this.
  17. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    paulchua likes this.
  18. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    The very loud, staccato exhaust leak came from one of the "exhaust sample tube" plugs - which departed the hole. It was fixed on day one.

Other work to be done: replace driver's side black leather door card with exact used replacement. It took three years to find that part. Thanks FerrParts!

Replace broken radio with new old stock radio of proper type and period. (I never listen to the radio - just like you!)

Disconnect windshield wiper assemblies and plus holes, paint holes, etc., because the car never goes out in the rain. JUST KIDDING.

Adjust hand brake.

Test and repair dim dash lights.
    Etc.

Cheers!

19. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    Here's what happens when an exhaust sample tube plug blows, or an installed sample tube fails:

Driving along beautifully; a very loud staccato popping erupts out of the rear; dollar signs pop into your head; how can I get home, etc., should I continue to drive?

The car loses about 70% power, but is still running; as I calm down I begin to notice all the gauges are normal; not overheating, no red lights, nothing. So I decide to where to go, nursing the car there. I made it there!

[It is my understanding that an opening in the exhaust header causes other integrated aspects of tuning to go out of settings. Someone else in FChat can explain better.].

I believe it is not difficult to fix. It was time for Dave (SRI) and Staff to give it a check-up anyway. SG