Brake bleeding sequence & tricks 250 Gte | FerrariChat

Brake bleeding sequence & tricks 250 Gte

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by christc, Dec 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear Al,

I will fill the brake system on my 250 Gte S3 (see photos) soon and have some questions:
    1. What fluid do you recommend? Silicon or normal Dot4?
    2. What is the best sequence for bleeding 250 brakes?
    3. Are there any tricks which make it easier?

I do have a hand pressurised bleeder which connects to the reservoir.

Thanks
    Christopher
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    all brake parts connected with the brake fluid are new? then I would use silicone brake fluid

picture of your pressurised bleeder would be great, there are several different on the market.
    first you may bleed the 2 bleeders at the booster, then RR, RL, FR and FL, but also would be good to bleed at the front first the multiplyer ( right word? bremskraftverstärker ) in the middle of the car front of the front axle

normaly an easy job to do all

jimlt4383 likes this.
  3. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear turbo-joe,

Thanks for the ultra fast answer. Yes, everything is reconditioned or new. All seals or rubber parts are new.

I will post a picture of the bleeder, it is a simple pressurised tank containing fluid. Pressure is build up using a integrated hand pump.

I heard different names for the part you mean, multiplyer or very often brake balancer or brake balancer valve.

Thanks
    Christopher

4. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    It is a hydraulic brake booster. It adds pressure to the front brakes.

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    I would also recommend silicone fluid, with the following tips:
    1. Do not shake or agitate the fluid when in the container or in pouring it into the reservoir.
    2. If you have trouble bleeding, go to the old gravity method, and take your time. Gravity bleeding is ALWAYS the safest method.
    3. Give any remaining bubbles of air time to migrate up through the system to the reservoir. Let the system set overnight after your bleeding and then recheck it.

Nuvolari likes this.
  6. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks a lot! Will follow your advice.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Absolutely use silicone brake fluid if the system is new. Silicone brake fluid does not damage paint and lasts much longer than regular brake fluid.

One piece of advice is to be careful when bleeding the system to not take the master cylinder through its full travel when bleeding unless the cylinder bore is brand new. Old reconditioned cylinders sometimes have pitting in the extreme areas of the cylinder that is not normally used. When you bleed the brakes it allows the seals to run on these pitted areas and can damage them. It is always safe practice to avoid taking the brake pedal through its full travel when the brake bleeders are open.

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this only will happen when you bleed by pushing the brake pedal but will not happen with a pressurised bleeder

9. GSJFerrari

GSJFerrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 12, 2010
    Stuart, FL
    Full Name:
    Greg Jones
    I use these self bleeder type screws that have a check valve and threads are sealed and for brake fluid i use the DOT 4 fluid for best performance and if kept fresh by draining the reservoir with a turkey baser every 6 months and start from the booster working your way down and only using **short jabs** with the brake peddle especially on older master cyl. and be sure to remove the ball before installing new screws

https://www.amazon.com/RUSSELL-639590-Russell-Speed-Bleeder/dp/B000CPCOBQ/ref=pd_bap_rp_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RGT4XWEBXSWYQ9NEGRMP

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018GGV28S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear turbo-joe,

here is a picture of the simple bleeder I will use. I had a professional bleeding system but it turned bad as I did not use it that often and the brake fluid in the system ruined it. This works quiet well I was told by a user.

BR
    Christopher
    Image Unavailable, Please Login