Boot and Bonnet release cable holders | FerrariChat

Boot and Bonnet release cable holders

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Dec 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    While the dash is out and I’ve got some down time on my hands, I tended to tidying up the e-brake cover.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Discovering the broken plastic latches wasn’t a surprise. The ‘frunk’ release cable needed replacing and I can see why...the original plastic is poorly aligned and very weak. At $500+ for a replacement set I think have a better way...

I drew the cable holder in Cad and printed a replacement set of holders. The upper ‘sleeve’ area affixes permanently to the bottom of the latch assembly. Then the keyed piece can slide on and off after the cable is in place (factory setup cannot do this and requires fishing the cable through the whole thing, messy). These are printed with a carbon fiber filament and are much stronger than the factory ABS assembly. Drawn to the same scale and size as the originals but with a soft fillet at the heavy pressure point. These won’t break in a hundred years....

Thought I’d share my solution. I’d be willing to share my part file if people are interested.

Cassidy

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

pshoejberg, raysur and xplodee like this.
  2. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    That's awesome. I'd be interested. I was looking at fixing mine or replacing them with the metal ones that are available. A CF plastic one is interesting though

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Is it making the overall depth of the unit deeper? If so that might create a problem. The reason those fail is it was not designed to have the cable run at an angle and put side load on it. It was adapted to that situation and not well. The cable runs out and makes a very sharp 90 degree bend. You don't want to do anything that makes the bend worse.

GT Car parts had some for a while that were fabricated out of aluminum. Not sure if they still offer them but I bought a few and they are a very permanent fix for a dumb design.

4. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    That's a really valid concern. I drew these to be the exact same overall length as the factory hardware. We will find out this weekend if it all fits back the way I intend it to. Should be fine but we will see. The thing I like about this design over the factory is that it leaves a small path for the cable to be pulled at an angle, versus just straight. I'll do my best to photograph the process and report back.

Cassidy

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I noticed the slot and it is a good idea. I also make the receiver pocket for the cable end loose so the end can float around and pick its own desired angle.

On a 308 with a straight cable run those worked well but it was not a good choice to put them in a TR.

c4b4the04 likes this.
  6. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Well done. Over the next ten years many more problem parts for this car will be resolved by inventive folks like yourself

c4b4the04 and raysur like this.
  7. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Thank you! I built my track car by hand over the years from aircraft heim joints and fiberglass cloth (most of it anyway!). I love to do this work.

Test fit was promising last night. It is exactly .100 taller than the factory block and requires a 1/8" washer under the assembly to space it properly. I will run the new front cable this weekend and take pics. If I have a few interested folks I could run some more off after the holidays and see how they work for others too. In this case, regular 3d printing wouldn't be strong enough, I don't think. The Markforged Onyx printer is pretty amazing, parts are performance-grade without any post-processing.

Cassidy

raysur likes this.
  8. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Nice work Cassidy.

Which version of the printer do you have? I am in the market for one.

9. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I'm currently running this one:

https://markforged.com/onyx-one/

I've had the model with stranded Kevlar, CF and fiberglass infill but operating costs were too high. This gantry system hardly ever wears out, is easy to level and you can print from Ethernet, wifi or USB. Sort of a win all around. They use their own slicing program that is simple to operate and web based. Caveat, whoever sets up initial account is forever tied to that machine....so you need to know whatever admin's username and password. They're very protective of IP and limit access to the software (effectively I might add). Saw this exact one at SEMA a few years back and couldn't believe the value and low operating costs.

Fwiw I've been 3D printing close to 10 years now, starting with Early Arduino powered ones. This thing is light years ahead of the competition IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

raysur likes this.
  10. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thank you Cassidy!

I just saw them at CES. Impressive prints and a ton of possibilities.