Are you under water? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Are you under water?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Alex308qv, Dec 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Are you under water?

Poll closed Dec 15, 2019.
  1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    63.5%
  1. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I lose my ass on all my cars. I'm a car guy and purchase them to enjoy.

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, but you could be under snow Phil! :D

308 milano and PhilNotHill like this.
  3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    More snow=better skiing. :)

4. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Most cars depreciate. Some cars appreciate with time. I pay cash for cars, so I am never "Under Water."

Regarding Ferraris, other than a shortlist of exceptions unless you have a carburated 12 cylinder Ferrari that you bought at the right time, it will end up costing you some money to own the car. If you want to avoid losing money, for enjoying a Ferrari, there is always Uber.;)

LightGuy likes this.
  5. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I bought a neglected 360 to fix up hoping to come out ahead. Didn't exactly go as planned. I'm about even I'd say. The knowledge I've learned about the platform was well worth it.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    My 1988.5 328 GTS is an all-original 30k mile car. I bought it in 2006 and at the moment have spent a total of just under $65,000 on it including purchase, maintenance, repairs, and accessories. I think I could get more than that out of it. But I'd have to sell it to find out. I did have 2 unsolicited offers of $75,000 for it this summer. Sometimes I think I should have taken it. But if I sell this car, I'll never have another Ferrari...

7. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Chalk it all up to tuition at the University of used Ferraris.

Texas Forever and Pawilly like this.
  8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    In my opinion, you did come out ahead. ;)

BOKE, imahorse and Admiral Goodwrench like this.
  9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    As a late GenX, you guys are seriously over estimating what you think your classic cars will fetch. By the time we want to retire ain't gonna be no funds left for fancy classic cars even if you can still drive them on the road.

10. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I agree with this. Normalcy bias. This gravy train isn't going to last forever.....

Kevin

11. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Didn’t buy my Ferrari to make money; I bought it to drive and put as many miles on it as possible.

Miles = smiles!!!

Am I above or below water? Undoubtedly below as I don’t have that kind of luck; but I don’t care as the enjoyment of driving it is worth it to me.

AandSC and ago car nut like this.
  12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Eh, I'm probably about even, which is really about the best place to be when you are buying to enjoy, rather than flip. I'm sure I could get what I have into it if I sold it today (which is tempting) I bought the lowest-priced, highest mileage, gated, US-spec Modena on the market when I got mine in 2016, put around 10k total into it, sold about 4k worth of stuff that was on it (challenge wheels, stereo system, etc.)....not to mention it has a ton of new and updated parts on it. Pretty sure I could break even, even though the manual craze has kind of evened out.

Texas Forever and imahorse like this.
  13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ya know the question in the poll is not what is asked in the OP. I answered NO to the poll based on the question posed in the OP. If would be YES if I answered the question "Are you under water".

14. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Having spent the last 30 years in banking / lending / credit, the term “underwater” has a specific meaning in my world.

Underwater means that you owe more against the asset (car, real estate, whatever) than the market value of that asset. So if you are still carrying a loan of $50K on an SUV that you couldn’t sell for more than $30K, yes you are underwater.

On the other hand, having spent money on something you have enjoyed does not mean “underwater” unless you intend to sell it and will be left with ongoing debt and expenses post sale.

I bought my 328 in 2006, and have enjoyed every mile in it. I’m not “underwater” in any way at all, as every dollar I have spent since then was an investment in my own enjoyment. If I ever do sell my 328 (unlikely) there are no lingering expenses to cover, so I will never be underwater.

That said, the last 13 years have been a bit expensive at times, but that’s a completely different discussion.

15. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I am ahead ... but not by much.

A few Gs tops even though mine has appreciated near, but under, 100%.

But when you paid what I paid, TWICE Nothing is still NOTHING.

:D

16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    1977 MSRP 11.5K stg
    1992 bought at 25K
    2019 agreed valuation 80K

Currently kite surfing, however its a big ocean with some rogue waves that could easily bring her down.

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have sold 2 Ferraris in my short life. Both more than 20 years old.

Testarossa, bought at auction, made about $70k all in when sold via dealer at the height of the fizz.

550, didn’t actually sell it but received agreed value insurance earlier this year, when it was killed by a falling tree while in storage, around $20k up all in.

I own a F512M and I think I probably would not be up on that if I tried to sell it now. But it’s a lot of fun.

BOKE and Texas Forever like this.
  18. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    Probably not Under on my 355, but only had a year and paid a fair price for it.
    Definitely under water on my 430
    My 64 L76 Vette maybe about even if they stay flat line like they've been
    My 68 L79 Vette I'm Above Water as I bought for $18K, put in $3K but had an offer @24K from my Mechanics Neighbor when he was putting my new suspension parts on.

19. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    With the really inexpensive cars, one 30,000 mile service and a couple belt changes and that’s half the initial cost already. Keep it and drive it for two 30,000 mile services and you’ve now matched initial price. (assuming adjusting valves and mechanic sending pics of camshafts sitting on bench plus fixing general while-you’re-in-there stuff runs 10k).

worth every penny. Moar road trips.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

LightGuy, Texas Forever and tomc like this.
  20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I would hope you would want to wait. ;-)

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Oh, wait a minute, I thought you were talking about the U-Boat car. Never mind.

22. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    OP here. Poll is ended, thanks for the great insights. As a first time owner, I bought my 308 QV in June 2016, which in retrospect was a local peak, plus had to deal with some surprises (quite typical I'm told) that added up. But, like all of you, I bought it because I enjoy it, and I continue to invest to get everything just right. While under water (perhaps "upside down" is a better term per Rosso328's comment), I've found this hobby to be far less expensive than many other vices, and my exposure at the moment pales by comparison to my daughter's college tuition. In the long run, though, the returns on both (in all their various forms) are priceless.

Texas Forever and BOKE like this.
  23. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Interesting question, since many of us have a Ferrari, but would prefer a better or more expensive (or more collectible) Ferrari.

Unfortunately, if you bought 3 or 4 years ago, your buying power just took a massive nosedive, probably on the order of 30-40%. So now you are at risk of being forced out of the "trading up" plan that you meticulously laid out for yourself. Even the guys that have collections are consolidating to own just the ones that are truly collectible (i.e F40).

So what to do? Try to ride it out and hope you will be in a better position in 2-3 years? Not likely to happen - values are definitely still heading down for the foreseeable future.

Bail out at a realistic market price and start the climb again? Maybe, but probably have to choose a different marque, in that case, where your capital gets you more collectibility. Maybe Porsche. Or take a flyer on a Lambo. Murcielago anyone? Countach, even Diablos have done reasonably okay.

I digress, sorry not the OP's question.

I'd say I'm roughly break-even on my 89 Testarossa that I bought in 2006 for 92K, based on what I've been offered for it within the past couple of months.

24. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    ultimately I'm more concerned when my throttle gets sticky and the peddle box needs carpet fur cleaned out versus the asking price of my car dropping by half. upside down is when your work life means you can't take that driving vacation long weekend to your favorite bed and breakfast.

25. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I bought a 92 512TR about 4.5 years ago so if I sold today yes I would be upside down about $40k. I think the car has flatlined and I don’t see any further decline. Not actually too bad considering my 18 488 will likely depreciate 30k per year over the next five years.

I also purchased a 87 328 about eight years ago site unseen on eBay no reserve for $25k.
    I think she had about 26k miles. The seller didn’t mention any history so the bidding was pretty weak. Also only posted a handful of pics. I was anxious to see what the delivery truck was going to unload. I was pleasantly surprised at the condition when I received the car. Immediately gave it a hand wash and wow the paint popped. I couldn’t believe what I found in the trunk. Almost a 2” folder of service records and history. Wow it was like finding a gold bar!:) If the seller had mentioned the history no doubt the bidding would have been way stronger. After giving the car a $5k major and some new rubber, I drove it about 6k miles over four years and sold it for $70k.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Jdubbya likes this.