Exhaust and Header advice | FerrariChat

Exhaust and Header advice

Discussion in '360/430' started by AndruL, Dec 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Hello All,

I am looking to acquire an F430 Spider so I am doing my research on it. I have been reading a lot of posts on this forum and getting a lot of valuable knowledge along the way. I do have a question for those who have been through this. If I am not looking for a louder exhaust setup but rather just looking to mitigate the crack headers issue would the combo below do the job?

OEM MK2 header/exhaust with Capristo brackets installed and all OEM brackets removed?

If the above is not sufficient to prevent header cracks, what combo exhaust/header/brackets would you recommend that would not trip the ECL? I am in CA so need to stay compliance to smog.

TIA for your recommendation.

2. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Hello Andrul,
    My name is Phil and I am reaching out from Fabspeed I would be glad to have a chat with you about your setup.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The setup should be fine; there are never any 100% guarantees.

No insult intended to Phil but in CA the headers must have a BAR certification and number on them in order to be legal. Technically, this is true across the US as well but not every State does inspections like CA. I am not aware of any aftermarket headers that are smog legal. Several in CA have changed to Fabspeed or other headers and haven't had any issues yet. Not all inspection stations check, or know to check, for the numbers on the headers. That doesn't mean that they won't but they haven't so far. The downside of getting tagged, beyond the failure, repair, and possible fine, is your VIN gets logged and you will be subject to additional inspection moving forward. NOTE: There is a CEL issue that needs dealt with as well.

4. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    I have heard of mk2 failing as well so no sense in spending all that money and not be 100% safe. IMO....
    I have Fabspeed, stock cats and s-line and no CEL as mentioned above. Could not be happier.
    My 2 cents.... best of luck.

5. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Thanks, Zack, for your input. Did you have to install the extenders on the downstream O2 sensors?

6. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    Nope, just straight bolt on.. No extenders or mini cats needed.

7. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S

No insult. Yes California can be very tricky. Yes, It is illegal to do anything other than a muffler in Ca and they are even trying to make that difficult. In saying that we have had great success with people changing to our headers without getting flagged in the visual inspection. The headers are very far into the body so they can't get a good look at them in order to check the carb number. So you are correct they don't do it or can in a timely manner and that may change.

Switching out the brackets are a start but they will not fix the header cracking issue. Those headers are just going to fail based on poor design. Our headers do come with O2 extenders they are to go on the post

8. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Tubi exhaust manifolds, imho, are indistinguishable from stock to even the moderately trained eye. The heat shields on them are close to OEM, not exact, but do resemble the dimpled Inconel heat shields over the cats. The header that mounts to the head uses the OEM casting as well.

I also think that where there’s a will, there’s a way regarding smog. I’ve always been able to find an honest but not overkill inspection station. Drive clubs and cars ‘n coffee events are good places to ask around. Someone’s friend’s uncle cousin’s neighbor recommendations abound.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat