1984 Ferrari 400i Auto Chassis 50529 | FerrariChat

1984 Ferrari 400i Auto Chassis 50529

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Dec 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

In the continued spirit to document our cars... Chassis 50529 is offered on Ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Ferrari-Other/184077233660?hash=item2adbdbadfc%3Ag%3AsVkAAOSwnY1drctM&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C1000%7C2500

Cheers,

Sam

1984 Ferrari 400i Auto
    Color: Red Exterior with Tan Interior
    Mileage: 37000 Miles
    VIN: ZFFEB06B000050529
    Chassis: 50529
    Buy it Now: $49000 USD

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso likes this.
  2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
  3. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Thank you, Sam...….great job as ever.

So, I see incorrect painted front & rear bumpers and a flat black rear lamp panel which should be body color on a series 2 400i......hhmmmmmm.
    Also, the front air dam/spoiler on mine is body color on what you see in front and on the sides, only the "bump-out" to cover the bottom of the radiator is painted flat black to hide from view, just like the mufflers and resonators.
    Anything else ?

Gary

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #5 raemin, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    The flat black on the bumper looks nice to me and that's probably the best way to easily fix the numerous hits and dents that the spoiler accumates just from "normal" use. First time I see red carpets in the trunk, but looks nice also. Red carpet in the cabin also, i'd rather have a black livery as after so many years, there is no way the color still matches the body paint. The tan leather seems to be in good conditions, but would benefit from a cleanup (see passenger seat).

Engine bay and chassis well sorted out. This looks like a properly serviced car.

5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Last remark: I am not so familiar with gen2 cars, but these rear shocks are threaded. This is normally for ride height, but sounds curious given that these cars do have an excellent self levelling system. Maybe others can confirm whether this is a stock setup or not. Next question would be : is the self levelling unit still working as it should?

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Gary,

You are most welcome!

I try my best to post up what I find, as it provides great historical info on a particular car, but also allows one to see the potential changes or differences throughout the model's production run.

Cheers,

Sam

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Raemin,

The setup is not factory and is typically done when the self-levelling system goes awry. There has been a few threads on here that described what others have done and places like Rutlands, etc offered "kits" for people wishing to do this. Here is one of the threads I saved:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/replace-self-leveling-suspension-with-something-modern-need-steps.527434/

I believe the motivating factor why one would goes this route is because for the longest time Koni and other shock restoration shops no longer serviced/repaired the self-leveling shocks. In fact, I have only heard of one owner (in Australia) that was successful at rebuilding his self-leveling system... if my memory serves.

Cheers,

Sam

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    A Gen 1 without levellers is desirable, I wouldn't say so for a Gen 2

Gen1 = hard to repair, under performing, easy to put back if you change your mind
    Gen 2 = these levellers do work, can be serviced, are hard to put back once removed

9. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Raemin…...the sellers description states that the levelers have been replaced.....and the radio, and that the hood and trunk electric releases are somewhat "iffy".

Gary

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #11 Ak Jim, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Factory load leveler on left, Rutlands coil over on the right.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I have the 365 with the load leveling shocks. They worked great until they failed then the back of the car sat really low. I sent the shocks off to be rebuilt, for a crap load of money, and they worked for about a year then failed again. I currently have the Rutlands coil over conversion and it works great. If I could buy new original Koni I would do that but in my opinion the Rutlands coil over is the only current option.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Make that factory on the top and Rutlands on the bottom.

12. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Who did the rebuild that only lasted a year?