550 Maranello engine ECU | FerrariChat

550 Maranello engine ECU

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ag512bbi, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Can anyone help me search for a new engine ECU or a place that services these 550 ECUs. We cant read any errors. It locks up.
    Also looking for a airbag ECU. it reads internal fault.

Attached Files:

2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    It's a 1997 BTW

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Wow, ok so their are plenty available.
    Can my original actually be serviced?

4. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Google ecu doctor. Looks like the will diagnose and repair.

5. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Yep, they fixed mine just recently. The only 2001 ECU available in August was a new unit in the UK at $5000!

ag512bbi, their emulator does require you to send both ECUs, security ECU, immobilizer ECU, and master fob remote, so make sure to adequately insure the package (split into 2-3 packages) and make sure to keep a backup fob.

Qavion likes this.
  6. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Interesting g. Good call on that. Thank u

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Ive called ECU Doctor probably 6 times. The receptionist took my information and never did a tech get back to me. Everyday I called, they kept telling me they are a reputable business and they are surprised no one reached out to me. So I asked to be put on hold till a tech is available. 3 minutes later, the receptionist gets back on the phone and tells me "The tech WILL get back to me today" Still not heard from them.
    How do I trust them with my ECUs?
    I'm really frustrated. I CAN'T see myself spending $4-5,000 for new ECUs.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  9. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Bosch Germany who manufactures these units claim that they can repair them, and yours would cost €399 to repair (fixed price).

https://www.bosch-repair-service.com/en/engine-control-unit/bosch/m5-2-0261204186000/

Unfortunately they won’t accept units from individuals so you will need to send through someone like a dealer/repair centre and go through a registration process. The reason I say that they “claim” that they can repair them, is that I had a unit sent from my car a few years ago that was throwing a check engine light. The local Ferrari techs could find nothing wrong with all the inputs into the ECU and diagnosed that the ECU was just generating a check engine light with no faults.

My local Ferrari dealer set up an account after I had tracked this repair facility and sent my unit to them, but they were unable to fault the ECU. They did communicated back and forth with my local techs who sent more information but still could not find anything wrong with the unit and it was sent back. Long story short I was forced to purchase a new unit, my original was confirmed as still faulty when returned and plugged in the car.

The Ferrari techs claim that though Bosch might be able to repair the hardware, they don’t have access to the Ferrari firmware (nor do the Ferrari techs), and this is a limitation to their ability to repair the unit.

Not saying that this is the issue with your unit, and you might have better luck with your unit. Good news is that I wasn’t charged anything for the service as they couldn’t find anything wrong, though I would have preferred they found something wrong and repaired - it would have been much cheaper and faster.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #11 Rifledriver, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Armen, your experience mirrors mine. I had just recently sent them a pair of known faulty 550 ECUs and after a couple of weeks reported back they were perfect. After some frustration in communication it was determined they did not check for the specific fault on the specific circuit I had outlined for them. My specific written instructions were totally ignored. Some time later they reported back again, again reporting no faults. After some conversation they admitted there is much they cannot test, this is one of those cases and for those cases they rent you a known good unit to try in your car. They have no known good unit for a 550. Never mind that was part of my diagnosis process prior to sending them and these ECU's were not sent to them based on a suspicion. These were damaged as the result of some misguided diagnosis on the part of a clueless repair shop and I know exactly the nature of the fault, no need for them to determine that yet they cannot manage it. This was all explained in advance and ignored. It was all assurances they could rectify the problem. It cost me weeks and weeks of having an immobile car taking up room in the shop and if they had bothered to listen to me and had any degree of honesty could have all been avoided. All of this great service only cost me $100 plus shipping. We are so lucky to have them as a resource!

ECU Doctors is now 0-4 for me. What a complete cluster ****.

tres55 likes this.
  11. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Thank you

12. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Interesting...
    I think I'm gonna move on from them. Wasted a good 3 weeks of my time. $0 though

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Armen, I discovered a guy who I have done business with for years fixes these and I did not know it. I knew he did electronic dash repair and some other items. I spoke with him and he is very up to speed on the Motronic boxes and he is quite close to you. Get in touch with Rod Drew at Francorchamps America in Costa Mesa. He has mine now.

14. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Yes, I know Rod well. He had my ECU for a while but didnt have time for it.
    He is good/great at what ever he does.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yea I know hes busy but may be the only game in town. Like getting a reservation in a great restaurant, don't expect to get a table for 8 at prime time the day you call.

ag512bbi likes this.