360 - Stuck in neutral | FerrariChat

360 Stuck in neutral

Discussion in '360/430' started by drcripp, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    My 2001 360 Mondial has always run like a Swiss Watch, until early last week. I heard a musical tone coming from all over the inside the car. Almost like a monotone Continuous musical tone. Not very loud but noticeable. No other warnings on the dash, car ran fine. I got on the interstate and drove 70 mph for a while, then pulled over to an exit to go around toward town again. No tone. Shifted down to first and turned the bend, car wouldn’t shift out of first. I pulled over, shifted to neutral and it stuck there. Red warning light on speedometer dial looked like a box with a stick at the top rear. I can't find a photo of it on Google. After sitting for about 10 minutes, the warning light went out. I started the car and it went into first normally. I get into second and it stuck there. I drove ten miles into town in second with my red lights flashing. I knew I would sooner or later have to stop at a light so I pulled into a safe parking lot. Sure enough stuck in neutral. Got the car towed to my house and picked up with covered transport off to my trusted Ferrari technician where it resides over the weekend. I'll get to the bottom of this Monday. Any ideas or experience before then just for my curiosity?

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I feel for you. It can be scary when it is happening and being stranded in a bad place.

I once had a car do something similar to that. Turned it was out of clutch fluid. A bleed screw had gotten loose and allowed a leak.

3. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    I believe the most likely culprit is either the F1 Relay and or the electric motor on the F1 pump. Check the 30AMP fuse behind the drivers seat. If it is blown most likely. it is the motor. The motor is an easy fix. 2 screws one electrical connector plus a $300 motor on eBay.

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The box with a stick light is your F1 Gearbox warning light (it's in your owners manual). The F1 system ECU has a fault that was stored during the failure. Your technician will need to download the fault/faults from the F1 ECU in order to diagnose the cause. There is no sense in guessing what it might be, as it could be one of a multitude of causes (from very simple and inexpensive to difficult and expensive). You will have to wait for a proper diagnosis.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

BOKE and Skidkid like this.
  5. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    This always confuses me and must be a stupid question, but:

On a 360 with F1-system, is there a separate clutch fluid and F1-system fluid or do they share them. Meaning if the F1-system doesn't work ... "crispy", can it be as simple thing as clutch fluid system has air or leak or too low on clutch fluids?

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I am not sure I understand the Q. The F1 RUNS the clutch. It is one system. Where would the 2nd fluid be/go/do?

So yes, I guess that is possible but as Brian stated, you need to get the codes read from the TCU. Then you need proper diagnosis. This can't be fixed over the internet. And, DO NOT cycle the power as some will advise. That will clear the codes, mask the problem, and make it difficult/impossible to diagnose.

BOKE and billy.gif like this.
  7. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    Thanks, guys. Will find out tomorrow.

8. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    #8 billy.gif, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Sorry I got a bit confused as someone wrote at different F1-problems -topic something about "...bleeding the clutch". Not "...bleeding the actuator":

https://www.***********.com/forums/modern-v8s-360-f430/10180-bleeding-clutch-360-a.html

So this so called "clutch block" has nothing to do about bleeding anything?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    It was the F1 pump. Replaced it and the relay. Fixed.

Skidkid, Apollo 11 and EastMemphis like this.
  10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There is a block on the manual cats. They share brake and clutch fluid as I recall. That is probably what was lead to the question. Glad you got it fixed.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat