Rear brake pad wear issue | FerrariChat

Rear brake pad wear issue

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Dec 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I've only had this 88 for 6 months, so I am new to her quirks....

While disassembling the rear brakes to install new parking shoes, I noticed this odd wear on my rear pads. I'm assuming these have been on the car for roughly 7,000 miles (since 2001). The lad seems to be too "long" for the rotor diameter and is actually riding off the edge. I'm assuming not normal? There were shims on both rear calipers (different thicknesses left and right) and all appeared to be in good condition (no slack, broken. Wear, etc out of the ordinary). I'm all ears as to where to start. All 4 pads are identical which leads me to think pads were the issue Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not unusual. Even the pads installed by the factory were a bit tall for the rotors and wore that way.

turbo-joe and c4b4the04 like this.
  3. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Thank you. Very helpful to know that. Sort of an odd occurrence. I may machine the outer edge of some new pads before installation. Do you recommend a low dust but quiet street compound?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat