Seat belt locked | FerrariChat

Seat belt locked

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by sonfield, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    Got Mondial 3.2. 1988. Front seat seat belts won’t release ... any ideas?

2. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Did you get stuck strapped in? I don't have any tips sorry but had to ask.

3. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    No. They just won’t release to put on

4. TAS37

TAS37 Rookie

Oct 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tim Solomon
    Is it fully locked (ie literally stuck in place), or does it move an inch or two and then lock? Mine came with the latter problem (driver side only). I was told they’re not really safe to rebuild and NOS belt systems would be $500-1000 each — *if* you can find them.

I ended up figuring out how to get mine to release by pulling gently and slowly and, most importantly, *straight out*. I actually reach behind the driver seat to do it.

Not really a solution, but I thought maybe it might give you a measure of hope....

djs308 likes this.
  5. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    My '85 QV Cab driver's side belt won't retract back into its housing. I can still use it fine when I'm driving, and it isn't tight against me. Seemed like the typical old car issue where if I spent the time to slowly pull it out little by little and let it retract back in it would eventually work. Not sure if there are any tricks or if a new tensioner would be needed (not going to bother with it).

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Get it removed and see if you can get any WD40 into the mechanism, then work it to see if it frees up. Not tried it my self but has to be worth a go. Is it just dry on the lub side or has the spring gone bang.
    My Rav4 belt did the same but just fitted a new one as cheap enough.

ronfrohock likes this.
  7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  8. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    How do you get to the apparatus in the 3.2 Mondial for the seatbelt

9. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I have this exact scenario with my passenger side belt. It needs to be pulled straight for 3 or 4 inches at a time before it "re-locks". Haven't yet gotten around to opening things up and actually getting some WD-40 in there. Otherwise, the belt works fine.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If its getting like that, i would not be looking to use it. First sign it is no good.

11. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    The tensioner is working just fine. The belt retracts ok. And it locks as it should when decelerating.

12. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    WD40 in there doesn't make any sense. Look at my response in the other thread.