Porsche Taycan | FerrariChat

Porsche Taycan

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Astrid.Didier, Dec 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    The Porsche Taycan - the future of all-electric super-cars.

2. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Looking forward to a test drive. Put down a refundable deposit.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    My dealer has my build. Their Turbo S demo is on its way, and I should be taking a test drive soon.

4. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I was in LA last week and they had a pop up store in Santa Monica

Cool little set up with a Taycan Turbo S and a pristine 356 on the floor

I sat in both the front and back and was surprised how tight space is

Getting in and out front and back sucked, rear head room is limited like all 4 door coupes

Really nice car to be in, and the panorama roof was sweet

Once you’re in I am sure you will have a blast driving/riding in the car

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    The Taycan is beautiful, but the Tesla Model S is faster, has more range (I am comparing to the Taycan 4S). But I love the Taycan so much more.

6. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    The Taycan is visually very cool plus the interior is really nice
    Musk is idiotic regarding using downscale interiors for a customer base used to/expecting the best

7. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My wife already told me that when her Panamera is up she wants a Taycan.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I would be all over Taycan, but can't get over slower than a S.

Astrid.Didier and Dom like this.
  9. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I think this is a problem for Porsche. Looks are great, but performance has to matter, especially for Porsche. Here in NorCal, Teslas are referred to as the "NorCal Camry". Nobody wants to be beat off the line by a camry...

IloveGT likes this.
  10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Interesting thoughts in this thread, I could care less if a Tesla is faster, not my purpose for the Taycan. If you applied the same logic to Ferrari's (the C8 and the more powerful models coming is certainly a good example), no one on here would own one. There will always be something faster, but from what I gather you get an emotional feeling when you drive a Ferrari that you do not get in other cars.. I have driven a Tesla, and it is about as boring as watching grass grow. If the Taycan is like that well, I will not be putting my order in, though from what I understand the Taycan drives like a Porsche, and that makes it appealing to me. I guess I will find out soon when I drive the Turbo S.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 C8's not faster than comparable year Ferrari.

#2 Tesla more exciting to me acceleration than any Ferrari I've ever driven. I still love Ferrari more history, looks, and sounds.

#3 DeMuro says Tesla S handles OK, the Taycan a little better, but still short of most 4 door sedans he's driven.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    This Demuro guy is entertaining but I don't think he know that much about actua car engineering and design, and I never listen to anyone but myself when it comes to what a car is like, and there are many reasons for that. I don't get excited like you normal brained folks do about simple acceleration, that is easy to accomplish. I have tactile sensations (so I'm told) that are far more sensitive than normal people, so I need to have a certain feeling in a car (normally I will just take the car apart a rebuild it to get what I want), but these electric cars a far too complex so the car needs to be that way from the start. The Tesla is like driving a golf cart (I mean no insult to Tesla fans but you don't see or feel things like us autistics do), so I am hoping the Taycan does not feel that way. The C8 does 0-60 n 2.8 secs (my guess it that the upper models will probably do that is less than 2.5sec), and I used it because it is in used 360 pricing territory. I could have said Porsche TT, or Lamborghini, or other's, but since the C8 is going for so little I used it. Remember I think all cars out of the box need something, and my guess is for not much money the aftermarket will have C8's flying by modern Ferrari's pretty soon. I realize that all your decisions have in some part been based on emotion (I wish I had that ability), where as mine have no emotion at all. I have been there done that with cars, but I have never had an electric one. I wanted to like Tesla, but I just could not. I know I tend to annoy people sometimes because I don't really care what anyone says or thinks, and since I cannot be insulted, I don't always know (which is why I avoid people unless I have a purpose for being around them), when I insult someone. If I did I do apologize.

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Porsche made big mistake with taycans brakes just like they did when they went to paddles. old Porsche paddles were buttons on the front of steering wheel that were terrible. after about 5 yrs, the gave in and went like everyone else. now repeating mistake w regen brakes. people buy electric cars in part for ease of use and 1 peddle driving is huge feature of tesla. watch Porsche change tune in few yrs

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
  15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    i still can't wrap my head around the fact that i have to open a climate control menu on the touchscreen...then hold and drag each ac vent individually to control the direction and strength of air...which genius thought that practical?

16. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I don’t want 1 foot driving - consider that a major plus. Not sure how many people do or don’t want that feature.

nis1973 likes this.
  17. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    That is truly stupid. I hate touchscreens in general. Give me a knob for volume, climate control, etc- faster, more intuitive while keeping eyes on the road.

18. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Touchscreens are sometimes making things more complicated!

IloveGT, Boomhauer and sainthoo like this.
  19. Vintage Racer

Vintage Racer Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    15 Year member in GA
    Full Name:
    Doc
    I have owned six Porsche 911's They range from a 1969 Porsche 911T to a 2014 Porsche 911 991.1.

I have ordered a new 2020-2021 (not sure on the year yet) Porsche 911S 992.

I would never buy an electric Porsche. I like to hear to 6-cylinder gas engine when hitting the gears (five, six, seven, or eight on the new one). I also don't like stopping to recharge when going to the Rennsport Reunion, a Porsche Werks event, and a Porsche Parade event.

LI2782 likes this.
  20. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I don't think they expect taycan to take sales from ice porsches like 992. I think its for someone considering a tesla but wants a better handling car w upgraded interior and is willing to pay premium for it

x z8 and Astrid.Didier like this.
  21. Vintage Racer

Vintage Racer Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    15 Year member in GA
    Full Name:
    Doc
    I agree and also think the Taycan is an experiment into another Porsche model. Many pundits thought the water-cooled Porsche would not work. Many pundits thought the Porsche sedans (4-doors) would not work. Can we mention the two Porsche SUV's? They were all wrong.

I still say that the Porsche 911 is their best deal. Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob lay likes this.
  22. Shamsta

Shamsta Rookie

Nov 25, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    I think you're all missing the big picture with Tesla. Musk's main goal was not to create the fastest, sexiest, most luxurious car in the world. His intention was to create a mass-market vehicle that would shake up the auto industry... and he has absolutely done that. He's got every Big Boy in the Industry spending billions, rushing to market as fast as they can with the newest electric car. Nearly all are boasting how they will have full electric fleets in the next decade. From what I see, Taycan included, every electric vehicle in the market is still 5 years behind Tesla when you look at it as a technological feat. As an owner of multiple Tesla's, I can agree that I would love to see the interior taken up to the next level, but I didn't originally buy a Tesla hoping to have the supple interior of a Mercedes. Musk's acceleration figures are just a marketing ploy to get his brand buzz. He could care less if his cars rocket faster than a buggati. His goal is to shake the industry and he did.
    With that said, 6 years with the same model S in production and no serious refresh is starting to bother me. They need to refresh some of the existing models or risk losing their buyer base to other brands.

LI2782, tfazio, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.
  23. Vintage Racer

Vintage Racer Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    15 Year member in GA
    Full Name:
    Doc
    The Elon Musk story seems to be a marketing story. He smokes pot on YT.

The stock of Tesla has never been profitable. We'll cal the P/E at 100+. It seems like a dangerous stock to own as well as a very speculative car to own based on the free cash flow of the brand.

Good luck.

24. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    musk is incredible. he is literally the only person who was able to start a mass production car company, totally disrupt existing car companies, and start a rocket company at the same time. and all this is after he made his 1st fortune in unrelated industries. ive never owned a tesla nor do i own stock but everything he ever does from here on out can fail and his record would still be intact.

x z8, m5shiv, tfazio and 2 others like this.
  25. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    I have just finalized my taycan s order.
    estimated delivery is may.
    i will report back when the vehicle arrives.

sainthoo and Astrid.Didier like this.