NASCAR 2019 | Page 11 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2019

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Enzojr, Feb 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. #251 lorenzobandini, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Agreed. 'Still watch but the passion's gone. ('Was a fan '60s-80s)
    Same with Indy cars since the split. Sportscar racing, with BoPing, is losing me too......(both the same; 'racin' fan period since the 60s)
    F1's left, but the rules/regs keep gettin' worse and worse there too..... :(

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    So "Rowdy" Busch wins another title. I'm not a fan of his, but he was (along with his teammate Truex) the best driver most of the year.

With 3 out of the 4 last contenders, Joe Gibbs had a pretty good shot of having the champion driver. Between his Super Bowl success and his NASCAR titles, the Coach has a pretty good resume!

3. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    While i respect Coach Gibbs for his football successes, i do not think his NASCAR resume would look so well had the competition been in the 60-80's. I do not think he and his organization would have been as fortunate had he raced against the Woods Brothers, Petty Enterprises or other teams. Similar to his driver choice David, Richard, Dale, Cale Buddy and the rest would have sent this kid home crying to his mommy. NASCAR has lost a lot thru the years. With it my respect for it. The men who made it will always have my deepest respect. They earned their place as drivers, mechanics and innovators. Today, it is a dog and pony show.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I take nothing away from the drivers in NASCAR. When you see one of these cars up close and how flimsy
    they are and then think about how heavy they are, you'd have to be practically Superman or half insane to
    want to strap yourself into one.

The issue comes with the organizers deep in the dark fake wood paneled walled offices in Daytonner where
    they decree new rules for the upcoming season are set in stone only to change the rules two days later and
    then on a near daily basis throughout the rest of the year. It's become such a joke, it's hard to take seriously.

One bright note I saw over the weekend was one of the NASCAR hierarchy stated that they intend to put
    "Stock" back into "Stock car". This would be a good start since these cars they're running now are only
    identifiable by the liveries they run.

BHW

5. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Once the Genie is out of the bottle, you can't bring it back in. NASCAR is not going to fix itself. With electric on the way in, both it and the ICS are running on vapors. Sooner or later they will have to cease operations simply because the products are obsolete.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I agree. Nascar will be the first major racing series to go kaput. The France family has been trying hard to dump it since . . . (somebody tell me) and no one wants it.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    They need to go back to stock body templates at the very least.

8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Yeah, I was pulling for Harvick but knew the odds...really not a KY fan but oh well, the fact that he's a penis wrinkle doesn't take away from his driving ability.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, for 2020, the MENCS becomes the BCGXNCS, though I doubt if it will be referred to as such. There will now be FOUR name sponsors: Busch, Coca-cola, GEICO and Xfinity. Things sure have gotten complicated since all those many years when it was the Winston Cup!

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Wow, four title sponsors?

What could possibly go wrong?

BHW

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    no, ZERO title sponsors.

four "presenting" sponsors.

who would have guessed we'd see a day where IndyCar has a title sponsor and NASCAR doesn't :eek:

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    No wonder Waltrip retired, that's too many word all together even for him.

BHW

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Say what you will about Indy Car, their business model is working and has been for a while.
    And, now that Penske is at the helm things will continue to trend upward.

On the other hand, NASCAR's self-inflicted issues continue and their numbers are all trending
    down. Attendance down, TV numbers down across the board. And, while their numbers are
    still the envy of the racing world, the empty seats at venues which are traditionally packed to
    the rafters (Bristol in particular) are glaring.

They've done it to themselves deep in the dark fake wood panel walled offices in Daytonner
    for reasons we've been going on about now here for the better part of two decades. Can
    NASCAR come back? A return to their silhouette (real stock car racing) roots would be a
    good start as well as canning all these nonsense WWE/NFLesque rules and constantly
    tinkering with the "set in stone" rules throughout the season.

BHW

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'd like to see fewer races, no more than 26 in a year, with few tracks having more than one date. I'd also like to see smaller fields, no more than 30, which will keep the teams that have no chance of winning out. I wanted to see a road course race in the south and I guess that Charlotte's "roval" is acceptable, considering that the last race there was one of the better races in 2019.

The cars should go back to stock templates; if that gives a manufacturer a disadvantage they're just going to have to redesign their car, just like in the old days. I want to see Chrysler back in the field and perhaps Nissan can be persuaded to join. (With a big truck like the Titan, they should have a suitable V-8.) And I want to see a complete ban on full-time Cup drivers also driving in the developmental series. (You don't see Indycar or F1 drivers doing that, do you?)

15. If "Mickey Mouse" Charlotte floats your boat, Daytona would do ya' even better, no? Why not a real one....oooohhhh....Road Atlanta, let's say. ;)
    (edit: 'just remembered, ISC (NASCAR) owns Sebring soooo......?)

Aaaahhh but they used to....silly F2 race took Jimmy's (Clark) life, no? 'Not now 'cause of contracts. ;)

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #266 BartonWorkman, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Good points all.

Certainly, the NASCAR schedule is ridiculous. The way they make teams kris-cross the country nearly every weekend
    is an absurd waste of resources. Yes, the amount of races (what are they at now like, 36?, plus "All-Star" races, etc) also
    absurd. The tracks which they visit twice, namely the short ovals could/should be eliminated. Wouldn't this get really
    boring (doing it) year after year?

What it comes down at the end of the day is the old marketing adage, "Overexposure cheapens the product". And, since
    NASCAR needs to have eyes on them 24/7/365, the overexposure and overhype becomes boring and routine.
    Keep shoving enough BS down people's throats, they're bound to walk away eventually.

More road courses, yes, but the issue there is that tracks are reluctant to bring in NASCAR events due to the nature of the
    cars tearing up their tracks. Ultimately, 40+ 4,000lb cars tear-assing around tracks doesn't do racing surfaces much good
    and the tracks are then saddled with the expense of having to resurface.

The cars need to more closely resemble their road-going counter parts, definitely. Read earlier this week that they're finally
    beginning to lean this way. But, it shouldn't just stop at appearances, the tech under the hoods needs to catch up to the
    80s. If they want the younger generation(s) to gravitate to NASCAR, they need to know the kids today are hip to modern
    technologies so seeing engines and drive trains from the 50's isn't particularly attractive.

A good working silhouette formula stock car series is the Australian Super Car series. The cars are relatively similar to their
    road-going counterparts and the tech is there and they create amazing races. NASCAR had better wake up and do something
    proactive rather than just re-arranging the deck chairs year after year with the hopes something better will grow.

BHW

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Somehow I find Charlotte's infield section much more interesting than Daytona's, which I've never really cared for. I agree that a real road course would be ideal, like Road Atlanta, but it would require too many safety improvements. Sebring is too bumpy (and really should be repaved anyway), Barber is too compact, and there really aren't any others in the South.

It's been a very long time since F1 drivers also did F2, but it was once common. I remember a photo from 1972 showing Ronnie Peterson leading a string of cars in an F2 race, and all the drivers in the photo had regular F1 rides!

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Agreed, drivers that are already in "The Show" shouldn't be allowed to compete against
    up and comers in the Grand National Series (whatever its called now).

It's like an MLB player going back to AA ball, its just not done.

BHW