360 oil filter stuck? | FerrariChat

360 oil filter stuck?

Discussion in '360/430' started by LP360, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LP360

LP360 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I'm trying to change my oil filter and oil pressure sensor but I'm struggling to remove it. I brought a tool which fits over the filter snug but it's snapped the tool which is rated to 115nm. So I brought another one just incase it was duff and same thing happened. Any ideas how to remove it?

Here is a pic of the oil filter tool snapped in 2 Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. fsprow

fsprow Rookie

Oct 21, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Sprow
    I had this problem on a 911 once and drilled a hole through both sides of the filter (about 3/8" diameter) and inserted a steel rod extending through both sides and turned it. Worked great. As I'm sure you know, put some oil on the filter gasket and don't over tighten.

Good luck.

EastMemphis likes this.
  3. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Drive a screwdriver thru the filter and use the handle as leverage.

4. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    For future reference, get the Hill Engineering oil filter tool it will not fail. It is very robust.

Skidkid and f355spider like this.
  5. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
  6. LP360

LP360 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    All my engine panels are off at the paint shop ATM so could try this however this as last resort and looks tight in there. I can get access to the left side of the filter but may struggle to drive a screwdriver through it?

Cheers.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That one Maserati filter will work on the 360 filter. Although, if you are doing this more than a few times, the Hill Engineering one is far superior of a tool.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    As previously posted above, get a better filter tool. That one you have pictured has been shown to notoriously break, exactly as yours have. You can weld the tab back on...but....If you get the Hill Engineering tool, one and done

9. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  10. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I've found these to be hopeless, they just skid around with little grip.

11. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    There is no room to drive a screwdriver through it. Either get the Hill engineering tool or use a good quality universal tool (such as a Hazet), or a Snap-on strap tool to remove the filter.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

12. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I agree sometimes won’t work. . But ubiquitous and inexpensive, rather than 86 bucks for a special tool for an oil filter for one car. This has gotten me out of jams a few times.

Use one hand to keep jaws in place while ratcheting and getting the jaws to clamp

Here’s another inexpensive solution, also widely available that has helped me: Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

fatbillybob likes this.
  13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If the strap just slips on the filter, then use an office stapler and attach some abrasive tape to the strap, will stop it slipping. Something like one inch wide aluminum oxide tape

14. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I will gladly accept $86 over an afternoon of hassle and frustration. Even worse, is trying to save money and buying a tool that also does not work. Do yourself a favor buy the Hill tool.

f355spider and Skidkid like this.
  15. LP360

LP360 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I've just purchased the Hill Engineering tool. My oil filter isn't budging at all with everything I've tried so far (Not tried the screwdriver, I'm too chicken for that)

When the HE tool comes through the post should I run the engine up to temp to get the filter warm to try and loosen the filter or do it while its stone cold?

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Strap tool never fails. Hill type is faster and I would use it if I was doing this all the time. The strap tool works on every oil filter including the always stuck on Cummins diesel.

17. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Can't believe filter could be on that snug to break tools. Stupid question but you sure you're using the " righty tighty lefty loosey " rule?

18. LP360

LP360 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Its hard to believe also, I've never had an issue with oil filters on any of my previous cars but on the 360 it's either been over tightened or hasn't been changed. Correct I've been using my ratchet as like loosening a nut or a bolt turning counter-clockwise to undo.

I had to check on my new oil filter to make sure its not opposite thread. :rolleyes:

19. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The pressed steel oil filter tool is poorly made. If you look at the photo above you will see that the drive portion of the tool with the 3/8" square hole is welded to the filter cup with only 6 tiny spot welds.

The oil filters get stuck on and take a large amount of torque to remove them. I have to use a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter in order to generate enough force to remove stuck filters. After few stuck filters the spot welds holding the drive portion of the pressed steel filter to the cup break. I have had to TIG weld two of the pressed steel filter tools (mine and the dealerships).

The other problem with the pressed steel filter wrench is that they must be fully seated on the oil filter (a couple of hammer taps on the extension), because they can flex and expand, slipping on the flats on the oil filter. Once the flats on the filter are damaged, you cannot use the tool to remove it. After working at a shop with the Hill tool, I never use the stamped steel tool. If the Hill tool is installed properly, It will not slip on the filter.

The new oil filter should have the seal lubed with oil and torqued to the proper spec (it's on the filter) during installation.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I am with the people who say 'buy the right tool and get the job done'. Messing around and struggling for hours to save a few $ is pointless AND you could easily damage something else in the struggle making the total cost more.

These are torqued fairly tight BUT some people over torque them because they don't use a torque wrench. Combine that with heat cycles causing them to get tighter over time and they can be very stuck. It is common

f355spider and LP360 like this.
  21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My experience as well. Not to tarnish the rep of vehicle techs or over generalize, but I have dealt with more than my share of too tight drain plugs and oil filters on cars. I have even had to replace drain plugs that would not thread back on due to damage from over tightening. Once I started performing the fluid changes myself, and using a calibrated torque wrench to tighten, never had an issue with these cars again.

22. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I love my 360, but if I can use a tool available up the road for ~10 bucks to do the job properly, and have it in stock for other uses (boat, snow sleds, other cars). I just can’t see spending 90 bucks for a oil filter wrench and waiting for it, unless perhaps I was doing it for a living and using it often.

I never skimp on the important stuff. I pride myself on using creative & frugal solutions to a “special tool” when possible. Also I hate to wait if I’m in the middle of a project.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. Kevin R

Kevin R Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 29, 2017
    San Clemente, CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Reynolds
    Get the right tool, worth every penny!

Attached Files:

Apollo 11 likes this.
  24. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As others have said, DEFINITELY use the correct tools! Buy the Billet aluminum filter wrench (Hill Engineering), and use a breaker bar, and I pretty much can guarantee that you will take it off with ease. Whatever you do, don't use the screwdriver poke through method! You will make a mess of everything, and probably don't have enough room to get in there anyway.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  25. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    After you remove the old filter, make sure that you put the new one on using a torque wrench. Correct torque has recently been changed to 30nm was previously 25nm. 30nm is about 22 ftlbs.