prices of Daytona Spyder "conversions" ?? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

prices of Daytona Spyder "conversions" ??

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Parnelli, May 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Does the BaT car have the structural reinforcements of the factory cars?

2. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    My guess would be "yes" Franco Bacchelli would have spared no expense on this car that was flown over to Italy on Alitalia not only once, but twice!
    My car has 0 (zero) cowl shake.
    Ciao,
    FGM

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Difficult to see all from given photos, but appears like it might be missing some.

YMMV

4. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Timo, what do you think? Can’t see inner ‘A’ pillar width for one..i do like it has the Spyder upper door stainless pieces,Chuck

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Has some fat tires for sure

6. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Yes rims are 250 GTO or 250 SWB different off set than Daytona rims

7. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Seems to me there was a picture, from the back of a shop, back in the day of cut off Daytona roofs. Was that not the Ferrari factory, or maybe Bachelli?
    There was a very potent racing 2CV in the pic as well, and speculation if it was an ex Le Mans winner.

Perry

8. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    That pic is from Mike Sheehan's European Auto restorations shop. The picture is in the Roush / Braden book on the Daytona.

readplays likes this.
  9. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Here's the pic from the book. A shame to have done that. Let's hope that these roofs have been preserved and that one day these cars will be converted back into original berlinettas.
    Sorry, but no 2CV has ever been entered in a race by the N.A.R.T.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

bernardo66 and readplays like this.
  10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Well, now we know-- the BaT car sold for $490k-- $495k all in.

I think that says more about the overall market for Daytonas than that specific car, which looks to be a pretty nice example.

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #86 TTR, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Well, based on undercarriage photos and knowledge of less than 1000 miles in 34 years, I wouldn’t be surprised if another $50K+ is required to make it somewhat reliable (i.e. enjoyable) driver.
    OTOH, price supports my personal opinio/view that any (Ferrari or not) “cut” car is (& should be) worth less than Berlinetta in equal condition, regardless how accurately, extensively or by whom it was done.

donv and Daytonafan like this.
  12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the spider daytonas are beautiful, i can see why people cut the roofs off. monumental task to get them to factory specs.

13. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    This seems like about what Daytonas get bid to on BaT.

The surprising thing here is that the owner let the car go for that amount.

To me, the silver Daytona from a month-or-two back was a more interesting example, yet it got bid to around the same level, if I recall right...

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    A friend of mine is selling a decent driver Daytona. He had it on BaT, it got bid to this amount about six months ago. Didn't sell. Still sitting in his shop, still for sale, not much interest. $500k plus or minus a bit is the number, at best, for a decent Daytona.

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Out of all conversions, how many have ever been done to that “spec” ? 10 ? 5 ? Less ?

16. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Remember BaT is commission capped to $5,000. For the seller to get the same return after sellers commission at RM, Gooding etc the car would probably have to hammer at around $550,000 and the buyer could be paying around $600,000.

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  17. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    From Road & Track / December 1979. According to the article, Mike Sheehan kept all the tops he chopped. Figuring that one day, people would want to return to the original berlinetta configuration.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

donv and Edward 96GTS like this.
  18. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    ....and to think that in 79, coupes traded for about 40k, Spyders 100k.

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^that plexi spider in the sheehan article has a poorly restored front end by how misplaced the bumpers are sitting. angle is wrong and sitting too high. on an early daytona the bottom of the bumper should almost touch the lower part of the grill as the factory intended. should not be centered in the grill surround either.
    later daytonas had both front and rear bumpers pushed further away from the body.

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ... or that there's still low mileage, unrestored Berlinetta(s) which last time traded ownership few years earlier ('76) for nearly half the price. :eek:

bernardo66 likes this.
  21. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    True, but hammers like that generally don’t seem to typically make reserves at those venues.

And I’m not sure that there has ever been a Daytona that has sold for that low a price on BaT.

Based on historic “to the seller” figures, I still think it is a bit of a “surprise” that the seller took the number.

If we start getting a few more sales like that (and there have been a few this past year), then they will stop being surprising... :)

22. Italian Tuneup

Italian Tuneup Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    agree.

In todays market, when everybody is flipping out because the number on the gearbox is not correct, heavily modified cars like a cut spider trade at a discount to a comparable original coupe.

The silver car has been sold for 6xx k after the auction.

23. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There have only ever been 4 Daytonas auctioned on BaT. 3 of them were this year, and were bid to $490, 490, 488. The only one of those which sold is the cut car we are discussing. In 2018, there was one bid to $592,500 which didn't sell. I think prices have come down since 2018, and are still headed down, or maybe have stabilized at around $500k, at least that's what the data tells me.

As always, truly exceptional cars will bring exceptional prices, but IMO none of the BaT cars were exceptional.

Daytonafan and Edward 96GTS like this.
  24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I don’t find it surprising at all, more likely an indication both parties knowing or suspecting car having costly needs.

Besides, as I’ve stated before, IMO auction results don’t appear very intelligent way to assess general or even individual value(s) of cars, especially with all those “high bid w/no sale” or not verifiable examples in the mix, but then again, I’m not into (vintage) cars for market speculative reasons, etc. nor likely to buy any car at an auction anyway.
    Plenty of good ones available privately.

25. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Could be, but when I was actively shopping, I did not find it that easy to locate "good ones"...

All the private ones I came across either (1) still had plenty of question marks over them, or (2) were accompanied by a belief that they were great examples that commanded top dollar.

If I were in a financial position to pay top-dollar, that would be one thing I suppose, but since I am not, finding a car was a struggle...