488 Spider or 458 Spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Spider or 458 Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by bart12, Dec 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    If you guys don’t feel the cowl shake in the 458 Spider then do yourself a favor and don’t go looking for it. The best way to discover it would be to go drive a 458 Italia and then compare how one feels more planted and just more rigid when your driving. I used to never feel it in my F430 Spider as that was my first Ferrari. I loved it. Then I drove a coupe.......

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

IloveGT and xfrgtr like this.
  2. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I am almost sure I found my spider. Will drive a 488 and 458 back to back next week.

I need the hear the 488 in person.

There was some muting of the sound when i traded my scud to the spec.

But its time to enjoy a ferrari in a spider.

3. Nbatra

Nbatra Karting

Mar 26, 2019
    Piedmont, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick B
    Went through same choices about 6 months ago and they are both great. Ended up with 488 spider as the driving experience is significantly better. Now looking at F8 spider to see if it is worth the upgrade.

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Waiting for someone to post...it doesn’t sound as good but gets better gas mileage. :)

5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    :)
    ...or I can see future threads on FChat: “It doesn’t have the same screaming engine but it has an awesome CarPlay AV interface, and the adaptive-cruise control can’t be beat!”

xfrgtr and PhilNotHill like this.
  6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

And let’s not forget it has a fob vs. a key. That’s why I bought my 488. :rolleyes:

vjd3 and PhilNotHill like this.
  7. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Both are great cars, the 458 has then advantage of the engine, but loses out badly with skuttle shake , I could not deal with that on the 458, but it will depend on the roads you drive on. 488 spider the best all round car I have owned, and one of the really great cars.

Cigarzman likes this.
  8. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Adaptive cruise control! Thats a must have for me.

After having owned 2 scuderias, i think i can live with any shake, rattle and roll that ferrari has to offer.

9. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    Having jumped to the 458 Spider from a 991.2 GT3, the cowl shake was immediately noticeable and remains one of my only complaints about the car. When I drove the 488 Spider for 2 days in Italy, to my disappointment - or perhaps it’s a good thing since I already bought the 458 ;) - I felt a lot of cowl shake there too.

The two cars had similar miles (~10k) on them, so maybe the flex builds as the car “loosens up?” Or maybe the 488 had just been extra-thrashed as a rental? The rest of the car seemed in really good shape, FWIW...

Either way, my 458/488 cowl shake experiences were both similarly less-than-awesome. Good thing the rest of the driving experience more than makes up for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tekaefixe likes this.
  10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Not 6000 threads actually, but 8432 posts. I counted. Really.

Test drive both. You will know what fits you better.

Ciao.

11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Shouldn't compare a turtle shell with a bowl.

12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    You are evil. :)

PhilNotHill likes this.
  13. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    458 Spider....

PhilNotHill likes this.
  14. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    The 488 Spider is better in nearly every measurable way... However, if I was choosing between the two I would go with a 458 Spider. There is just something magical about the 458. I was out in a 15 458 Spider the other day on a cold Michigan day. I turned the heated seat on, kept the top-up of course, and put the rear window down and just drove... Afterward, I had a grin on my face the rest of the day. The 458 just puts and keeps a smile on face for a long time after I drive one.

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    So spot on.

kbaillie and Clay512TR like this.
  16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I guess being old has its advantages. I owned many British roadsters and other convertibles than shook like an excited puppy, the 458 cowl shake is nonexistent in comparison to what I've owned in my life. It did not even factor into my decision to buy one. Then again my reasoning never seems to make sense to most people.

anishka, buddyg and jm2 like this.