Help: can't open 550 trunk/boot | FerrariChat

Help: can't open 550 trunk/boot

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bertt, Dec 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bertt

Bertt Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Dear fellow members,

I just found out that my electric boot solenoid doesn't work anymore. I checked the switch, that is OK. So I checked the manual and looked up the emergency handle underneath the parcel shelf carpet behind the driver. Unfortunately this doesn't work either. I hear something happening near the boot lock when I pull the cable, but it won't unlock. I tried all sorts of things. Pulling hard, having a helper push or lift the boot panel while pulling the cable etc. So I am a bit at a loss now....

How can I get to the boot lock? Would it require removing the rear bumper? Would that give access to the boot or the lock?

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!!

Thanks and kind regards,
    Bert

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

That boot cable really needs a hard tug. At this point that's your only hope that I'm aware of. Perhaps a pro can chime in with other ideas......

308 GTB likes this.
  3. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Pull HARD!

308 GTB likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

It's interesting to see the lock and solenoid mounted on the boot lid itself, but with the mechanical release in the boot frame. No clues on how it works, though.

Even photographs don't tell you much (see advertisement below)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferrari-550-Trunk-Latch-Used-P-N-63143300-/123281119093

The solenoid isn't making any noises when you push the switch?

Experts... Does the solenoid push or pull?

5. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Ian from memory, I'm thinking it's a push solenoid. And again from memory, I think it's the same widget as the fuel door solenoid, although the two have different P/N's.

If it were me, I'd have a real hefty person sit on the boot lid while I pull my hardest on that cable, then have the helper get off and try to lift the lid. It sounds like Bert has already done this though, but I'd continue trying 'cause it's really his only hope if the electric solenoid has failed. Otherwise, it's going to get really messy and there'll be bodywork involved......

That emergency boot release, along with the hood release, and emergency fuel door release really do need periodic attention, lubrication and testing, but very few of us owners even know they're there.

308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    +1

Although the solenoids on those locking/unlocking type actuators are quite strong, when the actuators are unpowered, the plungers can be moved in/out quite easily. They shouldn't interfere with the manual release.

I notice when I have my 355 Spider on jacks, I have problems with latches because of body flex. Perhaps if you could try jacking up the car at specific points, it might unload the lock?

308 GTB likes this.
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You might also try swapping out electrical switches between the fuel door and the hood release to eliminate that as the problem.

308 GTB likes this.
  8. Bertt

Bertt Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Thank for all your replies!! I really did pull hard and have a helper push and/or pull the boot lid while pulling the cable. The solenoid doesn't make any noise, and this evening I'll try and swap the electrical switches as Taz suggests. The car is in my garage on axle stands so I can get to it easily. If all else fails, I will remove the rear bumper and see if that gives me better access to where the boot lid sits on the rubber seal. My suspicion is that apparently the end of the emergency cable (see no. 2 in the picture) doesn't extend enough to push the 'unlock' button (nr 1 in the picture). Perhaps the screw that is shown in the picture is missing ad it therefore doesn't have enough height. By removing the bumper I hope I can get something between the boot lid and the seal and I can push the button (nr. 1)… Keep you all updated....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Bertt

Bertt Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I should add that the screw I am talking about is the one shown at nr. 2 in the picture.

10. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Also, try looking at the underside of the car in the boot area. Sometimes car manufacturers will include an access plate for situations such as this.

I hate to suggest this, but if there's not one already there, perhaps you should get out your metal jigsaw and make one. At least if you cut in this area, then patch it later & cover it with undercoating material it'll be a "cleaner" entry than forcing the lid of the boot open. This is assuming that cavity behind the fuel tank does have a spare or anything else in it.....

Maybe a pro can chime in with a better idea?

11. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Before removing the rear bumper, a big job, I suggest removing the left side rear speaker/seat belt housing/cover and check the wires under it. As I recall the wires going to the solenoid run under that cover from the boot area.
    You can check voltage there to confirm that the front half of the circuit/switch is OK. If you get lucky voltage applied there might activate the solenoid.

I think it's worth a try.

Good luck

Qavion likes this.
  12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Unfortunately Ferrari has left out the wiring diagram for the boot solenoid so a bit later on today I'll have to look at mine to determine the wire color code for the boot solenoid wires. The solenoid item number is 22 but I can't find it in any schematics, maybe someone else can.

13. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    OK, I just pulled the cover off mine and the wires are yellow with a green tracer, and black which is earth.

Good luck

Il Tifoso and Qavion like this.
  14. Bertt

Bertt Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Dear fellow members, problem solved !!!! Thanks a million for all your thinking and suggestions!! It turned out to be the boot open switch after all. I swapped the switch with the fuel door switch as Taz suggested et voilà, it worked! And indeed as I suspected, the screw on top of the emergency cable end was missing. After a few big sighs of relief, I tested the solenoid a few times more with the boot open. I then put a screw and a washer onto the cable end and tested both the solenoid (with the fuel door switch) and the emergency cable procedure. Both now work! But the boot open switch didn't, so there is something wrong with that.

I will now try to dismantle the boot open switch and see if I can fix whatever is not functioning correctly. And I did read the warnings when trying to open these switches (springs and little parts flying around....), so wil try to be very careful.... Is there anywhere on the forum a guide or some tips on how to dismantle these things? I tried some searches but haven't found one yet.

Anyway, once again many thanks for your help!

Kind regards,
    Bert

Qavion likes this.
  15. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Glad you got it sorted! I think most of us went off on a tangent when you initially reported that the switch was OK, so it's good that Taz recommended swapping it to be sure. Out of curiosity, what indication did you have initially that made you think it was OK?

16. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Is that bolt relatively easy to adjust?

17. Bertt

Bertt Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Hi John, I indeed first thought the switch was OK as when I pushed the button, you could hear a very weak noise in the boot. That gave me the impression that the switch was OK, but the solenoid didn't function properly. The interesting thing is, now I habe both the fuel door switch (which is the good one) and the boot release switch out, I measured the working of both with an ohm meter. Both seem to be working fine, no resistance between terminals 2 and 4 when operating the switch. So I thought: test it once again in the car. And again, the fuel door switch worked, but the boot release switch didn't.... Can't remember where, but I recall having read something like this somewhere. That the it looks like the boot release switch isn't capable of switching a higher current. Perhaps the inner parts are a bit burned or something/ So I'll try and open it up and see what happens. But that will be later this week.

18. Bertt

Bertt Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Hi hwyman, it is not a bolt, it is just a screw that is screwed on top of the end of the emergency cable as circled at number 2 in the picture above. It probably only makes a difference of 2-3mm (screw and washer), but in my case that was enough to get the emergency cable thing to work.

19. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    I'll try it since my cable also doesn't open the trunk which makes me nervous. Also does anyone know how the hood manual release should be? Mine is a wire loop on the front bumper lip, but I feel it should be routed somewhere else since I cant imagine being able to reach it with the hood closed. When I open the hood it sits in front of where the latch is essentially on top of the bumper

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave at Sticky Rx takes those switches apart and puts them back together again. Check with him or send it to him for repair if it gives you trouble.

21. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It's quite hard to get to. You have to remove the grill then reach up inside and push out a rubber plug then reach up through the hole and grab the wire and pull it down through the hole and pull on it really hard. Something to act as a lever helps.

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    No luck with the 550 wiring here, either. I thought I would find it on the alarm diagram. The 456 wiring is similar, with a yellow-green wire from the switch.

I've added the boot/trunk release circuit to my 456 lighting diagram

Ferrari 456 Lighting Wiring Diagram (USA)

23. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Ahh I see, not a simple "if the hood doesn't pop reach up and pull emergency rip chord"

24. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Thank God Italians don't build parachutes........

Il Tifoso, JSP and 308 GTB like this.
  25. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

:D