Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 126 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Say hello! I'll see you tomorrow night!

SoCal to az likes this.
  2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Here's a pretty decent video showing the F8 in either Grigo Silverstone or perhaps CDF.

I thought anyone interested in the F8 might enjoy this video, if it hasn't already been posted.

Ray

Boomhauer and of2worlds like this.
  3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I had the pleasure of seeing one of the blue F8 demo cars today at Ferrari South Bay, both sitting in the lot and briefly on the road

If anyone is undecided about their spec, go argento over full cuoio including dash with raceseats (im half kidding), the car looks VERY good, color me impressed and eating a bit of crow probably

I am +1 on the sound being just a bit muted at least from what I could hear on the outside as a bystander (noting the in cabin sound supposed to be good)

It lost the deeper bellow sound from 488 FWIW, but maybe at higher revs is where the highlights are (488 was 0-80% by 3k+ RPM as valves are opening)

Shadowfax, Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The Speciale should give you a new perspective on noise and what has been lost by the F8's weak sound efforts...

Shadowfax, Bundy and sampelligrino like this.
  5. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I spoke with our service manager today about pinning the exhaust valves open on our Pista (as I’ve done with most recent models). He confirmed that this is no longer possible with the F8 as others here have suggested.

Not knocking the F8 at all but I have been happy to get the louder sound below 4,000 rpm with this simple intervention. Easier than pushing another button (e.g. Capristo or Forza controller) every time I drive, and I live in the country so waking up neighbors is a non-issue.

Shadowfax and of2worlds like this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Will this work with the Pista? I got the impression that you may lose back pressure and some low end torque.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #3134 Shadowfax, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Yes it does work and yes the power is not the same at certain speeds and rpms but on a car with so much power it becomes hard to tell. If I drive mine in anger it's always in stock setting with the valves working which was what my tech strongly recommended with the controller. But you can disconnect the valves and it won't throw a cel although I haven't tested it to see if it does with the valves held open during track driving conditions. Tech also felt there was a pretty good chance of cel if the car was pushed hard with the valves pegged permanently open due to the pressure sensor upstream but at the moment that's all an unknown quantity as I don't want to risk it or need to now I have the controller to work between.

I do know for sure that if you use high flow cats the likely-hood of throwing a CEL is VERY high which confirms the pressure sensor upstream can detect a reduction in back -pressure or change in pulse. I was also told this by a reputable manufacturer of a high flow cat system for Pista and he advised the best way around this is to have a plug in module to remove the CEL when it happens. And he said he knows it happens 100% from the user reports back to him. At least he's honest...and I respect him for that. I'm sure there are probably others that may hold this info back as it wouldn't pay them to do so.

of2worlds and Gh21631 like this.
  8. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    My service manager said they’ve done several Pista with no problems to date. I never had problems with doing the same to our 488, 812, or FF.

Having said that, Shadowfax seems to have a better technical understanding than me. Perhaps, I couldn’t feel the difference because I did each car at the time of purchase and didn’t have a prope reference point? I did have the Capristo controller on our F12 and never noticed a difference in power delivery in either mode. Just an improvement in sound below 4,000 rpm. Never encountered any CEL’s.

of2worlds and Gh21631 like this.
  9. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I really don't think most people are obsessed with "sound" of the exhaust as you are.

Dicecal likes this.
  10. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I disagree. Sound is still a very big part of the emotional equation for many enthusiasts. Kids (little and big) always ask me to rev my engine at Cars and Coffee, gas stations, etc. I still miss the historic F1 sound from the pre-turbo days, as do many of the professional drivers.

Why does Ferrari bother to add the hot tube to pipe engine sound into the F8’s interior if sound doesn’t really matter to most people?

tekaefixe, ScottS, of2worlds and 5 others like this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    What's with all these squashed down versions with wheels on the bumpstops? It's really not a realistic picture of what the car really looks like at all.

stavura, Napoli and Bundy like this.
  12. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Amen

14. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I don’t think you can speak for most people, just for yourself.

I drove the car today, exhaust sound will not be it’s strong point- granted

The car is beautiful, the car is very comfortable, the car is a rocket ship with amazingly fast and surprisingly very firm/hard shifts. I personally loved it and has enough sound with the rest of the driving experience to move forward with my order. As always YMMV, to me it’s a winner.

15. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Ferrari has always been about the sound. That is the soul of the car.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Alexcle, ScottS, PTG1 and 5 others like this.
  16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Actually I'm pretty sure he can safely speak for 99% of enthusiasts on that particular point! I can't recall coming across anyone who hasn't asked me to rev the engine up or give it a hit off the line so they can hear it. Now, if the engine sounds soft and unbefitting of a Ferrari then the request for aural pleasure winds up as an embarrassment. Let's face it, a Ferrari that sounds like a family car isn't exactly the best look for the brand no matter how good it physically looks or drives.

tekaefixe, ScottS, PTG1 and 3 others like this.
  17. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Exactly. That would be akin to a beautiful woman having a masculine voice. Would kind of ruin it for the look.

ferrarifanatic25 and Ash Patel like this.
  18. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    I just completed a Ferrari-sponsored survey on my Pista and almost half of the more than 80 questions were on the exhaust sound quality, including at different RPM levels, idle, startup, and shifting. Clearly Ferrari care very much about the aural experience.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. ferrarifanatic25

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Am I the only one who thinks it’s funny that we have all these people being so subjective about the exterior looks, then going on to say how they only care about the sound from the inside the cabin?

Comments like “I’ve never driven my car from the outside.”

Well, if you only care how it sounds from the inside and the hot tube is a satisfying solution for you, then shouldn’t you only care what it looks like from the inside as well? I’m mean clearly, these people couldn’t care less about the outward perception of their cars, right? That would be preposterous and unbecoming of a “true” Ferrari enthusiast, right?

Just wanted to point out this hilarious double standard that many members have taken up as of late.

20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Nearly everything is subjective aka up for debate which makes it fun, and people will argue their perspective to defend their purchase decision which is fair. We are all passionate about these cars. I'd rather have a car that sounds great on the inside, rather than on the outside, *if* I had to choose only one. No right or wrong answers

IMO F8 falls a bit short on sound, but is impressive looks-wise. I don't know if I would prefer the opposite or which way I'd go. Don't you look back at your car after parking or when she's sitting in the garage admiring the lines and design? That's looks. I'm even on my phone sometimes while waiting for an appointment just looking at pics of my car. Can't be the only one. That's looks. Could be worse if there was no hot tube solution, and at least we can still get an ICE mid engine V8 (for now...). Incredible sound or ok sound, hard to beat the feeling of speccing and taking delivery of a brand new Ferrari

I doubt Ferrari deliberately wants to make cars that don't sound as good, or make them all turbo, or all smaller displacement, or more nannies, or more emissions related stuff... trying to keep the Ferrari glass half full for now

OSUferrari, buddyg and Hunter911 like this.
  21. ferrarifanatic25

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Obviously my comment was tongue-and-cheek to some degree. I have been known to spend hours in the garage just staring.

But to your point above, don’t you love the sound of your car in the garage on cold startup? Don’t you love blasting through tunnels or under overpasses? Don’t you love driving through canyons and hears all the sounds ricochet off the rocks?

For me, sound is likely more important than it is for others. I am not satisfied with the hot tube as this only fixed half of the problem.

Bundy, Way2fast and sampelligrino like this.
  22. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Absolutely spot on, but sadly there will be more give and take these days buying a new car due to worldwide regulations out of our control. Trying to stay positive. Who wouldn't want the NA 4.5L V8 and no turbos and no GPF in the new F8 Tributo. At least you get killer looks, it's still pure ICE, and the hot tube

To further your point I went from a new Ferrari to an older model so we have that option as well. Choose the sound emotions and slower performing out of warranty car (which I did), or choose the performance and all the trimmings and trappings that come with a new Ferrari purchase (drive off lot, warranty, your spec, the highs and emotions with that etc)

If there was no F8 then only option is SF90...incredible car but 1st gen hybrid brand new platform and massive price hike, not for me right now

Quote from Jurrasic Park comes to mind: "It could've been worse John. A lot worse"