I hate taking meds... | FerrariChat

I hate taking meds...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Wade, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Island Time and tomc like this.
  2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    A corollary:
    If you really want to get sick, go see a doctor.
    If you really want to die, go to a hospital.

3. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    OMG!!! stumbled on your thread...

so, my freaking GOOD shoulder has started killin me the last 3-4 days.. banging my head trying to figure WTF i did to it?? exercise wise... NOTHING!!

But... But... But..... week and half ago i ended up passing a Kidney stone, and wouldnt ya know it, one of the RX they gave me was CIPRO!!

so i question now.. the shoulder pain, tendon pain.. is it directly related to the CIPRO?? took last pill about 3-days ago... per your link, its exactly some of the side effects that are possible.

Dam it!!

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Like they say, you have to weight the risks. In other words, what could happen if I don't take the meds vs. how much will the meds hurt me. :confused:

My Dr prescribed both cipro and flagyl for suspected uncomplicated diverticulitis. Flagyl has its own crazy side effects as well.

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Commonly prescribed anticholinergic drugs linked to dementia risk

People over age 55 who used strong anticholinergic medication each day for more than three years had a 50 percent increased risk of developing dementia, according to findings published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine.

For the study, the researchers analyzed medical data on nearly 59,000 people with dementia collected between January 2004 and January 2016. Of the records analyzed, the median age of patients was 82, and about 63 percent them were women.
    List of Anticholinergic Drugs and Why Some of Them are Dangerous for Seniors

6. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    My ultimate goal - no medications, only natural supplements.

Hearing the fast-paced disclaimer in every pharmaceutical commercial is simply insane. I continually ask myself why people take some of that crap. You will likely die, but your corpse will have great looking skin!

Why can't America get on the band wagon and outlaw drug commercials as other countries have?

Nevermind - I know why. $$$

schwoo and AaronS like this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Cipro worked for me. Could have lost part of my left foot due to a serious infection and that could have become a bone infection. Nothing new in those articles.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    In today's news:

"Scientists have shown for the first time a link between two types of heart problems and one of the most commonly prescribed classes of antibiotics."

"In a study published today in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, researchers at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in partnership with the Provincial Health Services Authority's (PHSA) Therapeutic Evaluation Unit found that current users of fluoroquinolone antibiotics, such as Ciprofloxacin or Cipro, face a 2.4 times greater risk of developing aortic and mitral regurgitation, where the blood backflows into the heart, compared to patients who take amoxicillin, a different type of antibiotic. The greatest risk is within 30 days of use."

"Recent studies have also linked the same class of antibiotics to other heart problems."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190910154710.htm
    https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2019/09/10/Common-antibiotics-may-lead-to-condition-that-causes-heart-failure/9041568117874/

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Broke a molar the other day so I went to the OTC med counter in anticipation of a really bad toothache before seeing the dentist... remembering that Anbesol or Oragel was what I needed.

However, the label on both have this new and crazy warning about benzocaine;

Image Unavailable, Please Login

So forget that! Good thing for me the pain never started.

Anyway, Do Not use adult products with benzocaine on the gums of teething children.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-takes-action-against-use-otc-benzocaine-teething-products-due-serious-safety-risk-lack-benefit
    https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/risk-serious-and-potentially-fatal-blood-disorder-prompts-fda-action-oral-over-counter-benzocaine

https://www.drugs.com/anbesol-gel.html

Methemoglobinemia
    https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/204178-overview

10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    It seems like drug warning labels are starting to push the envelope. Following my Beagle's gall bladder surgery, I was startled to read that one of the side effects on one of the meds was: "could suddenly drop dead".:eek:

Island Time and BOKE like this.
  11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Taking beta blockers for a "weak heart" or a "stiff heart"? If the latter, here's something to think about.

Study questions beta blockers for half of heart failure patients

A new study found that taking beta blockers was associated with an increased risk of hospitalization for patients with a certain form of heart failure.

It's commonly called the "stiff heart" subtype of heart failure, and it accounts for about half of the 6 million cases of heart failure in the United States, the researchers noted.

Most patients with the subtype do take a beta blocker, even though it's uncertain if they are of benefit in these cases.

However, "a big problem with 'stiff heart' heart failure is that we don't have effective medical [drug] therapies," explained study co-author Dr. Timothy Plante. He's assistant professor of medicine at the University of Vermont's Larner College of Medicine.

"So, instead, we use the same medications that work for 'weak heart' heart failure," he said in a university news release. "Because beta blockers save lives in 'weak heart' heart failure, we assume they are also effective in 'stiff heart' heart failure patients."

However, the new study suggests that "this assumption may be wrong," Plante said.

12. AlexLuck

AlexLuck Rookie

Jan 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    Alex Atkinson
    I don't see any necessity in medicines, like it's advertised to us. I don't take any when I have an ordinary headache or flu or sth like that. Anyway, in some cases they are strongly needed. As I said before, I don't really think they are necessary in our everyday life.