512BBi Fuel Injection Question | FerrariChat

512BBi Fuel Injection Question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by DonB, Dec 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    My 1984 BB512i (51723) , as part of the CIS injection system, has a vacuum limiter on each bank of cylinders. Each is located underneath each plenum on the forward end, held in place by a large clamp. Interestingly, these parts are NOT shown in the factory parts manual on page 7, which shows the components of the fuel injection system. These were OE on my car as the bosses for the hose connections on the forward end of each plenum and else where are used. That is, the bosses were drilled and taped and factory hose bibs were used.

I have the factory fuel injection service manual for the 1984 400i, (which also uses the same CIS system), and I am to understand that this manual is also used as the service manual for the 512i. In this manual, the vacuum limiters are shown and referenced. In addition, Boxer 52935, the last built, has these limiters installed as well. I know this because I have personally seen the car. Attached is a picture of the limiter on 52935. Image Unavailable, Please Login

I checked the FI diagram for a 1985 Testarossa, which uses the same FI system and the vacuum limiters are referenced there as well.

As described in the FI service manual (two sentences), the limiters operate during deceleration to keep system vacuum below a prescribed level.

So, I was just wondering if these devices were only installed on the later model BBi's, and if so when and which serial number did it happen? Also, if anyone has info on nuances of the CIS system in these cars, I'm sure it would be good info to have.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Those are on 84 boxers only and Ive seen them on 308's as well. My understanding is they slow down the rate at which the engine returns to idle when you get off the throttle quickly like a panic braking situation. What I dont understand is why boxers were fine in 82 and 83 without them.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The BB512i OM doesn't show any Vacuum Limiting Valves being present in Chapter 3 either. AFAIK, every other F model using K-Jet without Lambda does have a VLV (or VLVs) so they must've decided it was a good thing to add later on to injected Boxers.

4. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    They seem to work just fine...thanks for the info!