360 - Problems Plastic parts stick. | FerrariChat

360 Problems Plastic parts stick.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Polodoc, Dec 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Polodoc

Polodoc Rookie

Dec 4, 2019
    Valencia
    Full Name:
    Andre Slevogt
    Hi,
    I have a 2001ser 360 Modena. From my friend. All the plastic parts. Ashtray, switch .... dissolve. They stick very disgusting. Can someone tell me how I can wash it off? I build everything. With dilution? I can also repaint it if it is clean.
    Andre

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Do a search for "sticky", this is a very popular and common issue, there are several companies that tackle this, along with DIY instructions.

3. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    I recommend stickynomore.com

It's proprietor is a Ferrari chat supporter and long time contributor.

285ferrari likes this.
  4. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    For a perfect permanent solution contact StickyRx. Period.

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    But if all you want to do is remove the sticky stuff, use 91% rubbing alcohol and a lot of paper towels.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

MJGinTX likes this.
  6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Andre, send me an email when you get a few minutes, we have been doing this for over 10 years and can take care of all your sticky issues. Robbie

Need4Spd and chipbiii like this.
  7. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Doing mine now.

91% alcohol electronics cleaner works

I tested some rubberized bumper spray w good results.

9. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    So . . . is Andre a shill for the "Sticky Parts" companies? It seems like every few months someone asks about this?

10. grtoz

grtoz Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    Byron Bay, Australia
    Full Name:
    Graeme Towers
    Methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) and a few micrifibre cloths will do do the job quickly, easily and thoroughly. Don't bother with anything else.

Sent from my SM-G975F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    what GRTOZ said.

couple of lessons learned with use of said product -
    1) be care if you get lazy and try to desticky a part near your leather..... this product will take the dye off your leather!!! you can re-dye it.
    2) use in good vent area...... will give you a head-ache............ wear gloves.

12. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You will want to remove the parts first prior to using the alcohol.

For what its worth, I remember Dave once saying that you want to use Isopropyl Alcohol. That is safe for the plastic underneath.
    StickyRX is the best one to use for coatings. He is extremely OCD and laser etches the graphics back on with the correct font so the interior lights come through.

Need4Spd likes this.
  13. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Removing the stickies is not hard to do but you must go at it in stages. Three or 4 stages to remove it a little at a time. If you are too aggressive you will go all the way through and will get to the base plastic which will be very shiny at which point you have gone too far. If that happens, remoisten the adjacent areas and carefully "drag" some of the adjacent remaining sticky residue across the shiny area. I used an artist brush to initially apply the 90% isoproply alcohol and then sort of scrubbed it with the brush to loosen it up and then used paper towels to sweep it off a little at a time. In looking back, maybe the 70% alcohol might be a safer way to go. The really nasty sticky gooey areas were almost easier to clean off but went to the shiney base plastic quicker. Had to spray the steering wheel covers with satin plastic rattle can paint but it all ended up looking really good. Switches. Most of the emblems were not very sticky so was able to save all of them except for the A/C vent arrows. I cleaned it all up with everything out of the dash which was pulled to restretch the dash leather. It is nasty stuff and will stain light colored leather so best to take it all out of the dash. It takes many hours to do the job and I suspect that the companies that correct the stickies spend a lot of time to restore them properly. I was ready to ship my parts off if my efforts failed but it all worked out really well including the dash leather restretch. As I said, it will take many hours to do it.

one4torque likes this.