Is This a Real or Fake Ferrari Watch? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is This a Real or Fake Ferrari Watch?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by blainewest, Dec 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    It looks like a Cartier Ferrari Formula chrono. The assymetrical strap and case give it away. I'm not aware, as yet, of anyone faking these watches - so I'd guess it's genuine.
    Nathan

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Mine's on a shark band so the case design is set up for pins......that metal bracelet is set up differently.

3. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I do remember that, you are quite correct.

4. Flatlander

Flatlander Karting

Aug 21, 2008
    Middle of nowhere.
    Full Name:
    Rich Struck
    Does it leak oil? Does it need a mainspring out service every 3 years?

5. ewall2011

ewall2011 Rookie

Dec 17, 2012
    #30 ewall2011, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well I could be wrong, but it looks like one of the later offerings from the Ferrari Store. At least it's an automatic, but I hope the person trading it didn't give it some inflated value. Unless there is a brand name on it somewhere (other than Ferrari), I wouldn't bet on it being worth more than a couple hundred bucks.

7. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I think that's a fake. I bought a very similar one from one of the many fake watch shops in Turkey. There were loads of really, really bad watches. Some said Ferrari on and also had a Porsche logo! I found one very similar to yours and I think I paid about 80 Euros, after some lengthy haggling.

8. ewall2011

ewall2011 Rookie

Dec 17, 2012
    There was no inflated value added to it. I figured it worth a couple hundred no more. I appreciate the feed back too!

9. ewall2011

ewall2011 Rookie

Dec 17, 2012
    Also @ Anthony. No offense but that is the point in a replica... To look just like the real thing, I would appreciate facts not the fact that you bought a fake at a store that looks kinda like my watch.

10. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    #35 piloti, Dec 19, 2012
    In 30 years of Ferrari watch collecting I've never seen a Ulysse Nardin Ferrari watch before. Anyone else seen this, or is it a fake?
    Nathan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. CollectorMorry

CollectorMorry Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Morry Barmak
  12. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #37 ylshih, Dec 19, 2012
    I'm very familiar with the UN product line in the last 20 years and there's never been a watch with that layout or case, since the 1990's. The closest might be the 1846 marine chronometer in layout, but it's missing the date and power reserve indicator then and the case is completely wrong.

However on investigation, there's a hint that there may have been an old association between UN and Ferrari.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULYSSE-NARDIN-FERRARI-AUTOMATIC-W-CALENDAR-MENS-WATCH-NO-RES-/330674836065

This watch is listed as 1940-1969 vintage and shows the UN logo with the Ferrari branding. I'd normally say this is a fake too, however, the pictures of the movement and rotor suggest differently. I can't imagine a faker going to the trouble of engraving the rotor, even including the correct anchor. Given the transaction price and number of bids, it suggests a few people thought it was real, but also not worth more than a nice vintage watch.

Note that the anchor logo is still present on this example, but doesn't seem to be on your watch. Do you have a closeup of your example? Yours is probably still a fake as it just doesn't seem to have the right details and just looks too simplistic, but if there was once an association between UN and Ferrari, it deserves a closer look to confirm.

456-boy likes this.
  13. BBSam

BBSam Rookie

Nov 25, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Full Name:
    Sam Saucedo
    I looked at an identical watch to the one you're inquiring about, on ebay. There's a jewelry store in Argentina that appears to be "unearthing" a large amount of vintage watches with Ferrari logos on them. When I emailed them as to the authenticity of the watch, I wasn't given a clear explanation, only that the watch had been "refaced". I was a bit leary, as the movement looked odd as well.

14. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    That's where I saw this one. My reaction was that it's a fake. I was selling Ferrari Formula (Cartier) watches 30 years ago (genuine ones, I was an official stockist) and I don't ever recall U/N making official Ferrari watches, but I thought I would ask if anyone else had seen any.
    Thanks for your comments
    Nathan

15. CollectorMorry

CollectorMorry Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Morry Barmak
    The ebay ad clearly states the dial was refinished - when it was they added an (unauthorized) Ferrari logo. It's not a real, licensed, in-period piece. The watch on ebay is a real U-N, only with an added sticker. The case back was also engraved and I've never seen both versions of the Ferrari logo together, it's almost always just the word FERRARI, not the rectangular logo, and never both.

16. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I think that you have nailed it

17. CollectorMorry

CollectorMorry Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Morry Barmak
    Yep. Takes a fellow Dino owner to understand ;-)

18. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    OK, thanks for the insight. I couldn't imagine anyone doing a fake would go to the trouble of engraving the rotor. But starting with a real UN and then adding the external touches makes more sense.

19. doyler

doyler Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Colm Doyle
  20. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
  21. Ryan9669

Ryan9669 Rookie

Oct 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I was given this watch by my grandfather to which was a gift to him he never wore it . He has a watch so he didn't wanna have another just laying around was his reasoning . Id like to know if its real or not I've checked for serial numbers along side the watch and inside with no luck. The watch is rather heavy also the glass on dial seems to be magnifying glass.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    As this thread describes, GP was one of the officially sanctioned manufacturers of Ferrari logo watches.

Unfortunately, your grandfather’s watch appears to be a forgery. It does not match the styles GP manufactured and the quality of the case, face and bracelet does not appear to be up to GP’s high standards. A quick tip-off is that the face does not even have the name of GP on the face.

Of course I could be wrong, but this watch is very suspicious.

Ryan9669 likes this.
  23. Ryan9669

Ryan9669 Rookie

Oct 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #48 Ryan9669, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2019
    Thank you i figured as well no serial number anywhere

24. John Repass

John Repass Rookie

Aug 18, 2019
    Roanoke, VA
    Full Name:
    John S Repass
    Hello, I have an older, mid 1990s ?, Ferrari chronograph wristwatch that I inherited. I would like for someone to identify it for me. Thanks in advance for any help. John

25. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    That looks like a Cartier watch. They made watches for Ferrari in the 80-90s. I bet it is a quartz watch. But I believe it should have a serial number. Not sure if that is the original band because I only remember a metal band that had the lettering F-e-r-r-a-r-i in the links/band.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app