550/575 Values declining | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550/575 Values declining

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 550nitis, Nov 28, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I agree Johnny Ray. I’m on my 5th Gate Shifter Ferrari. It never hurt that my last name is Graziano so I’m a bit biased ;). I also owned a DB9 but unfortunately not a manual. Beautiful to look at but not a great car imho. I’m very interested in seeking out the manual version as my experience with the 550 and 2 BMW 850 CSIs I previously owned was glorious.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You too!

3. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I've had mine for sale for a little while now and although there's been interest at times, no one truly serious. That said I'm not overly serious about selling it either...it needs a few cosmetic things addressed to be truly sale ready.

Personally...I don't care what the market says they're worth. I enjoy the car and if I get what it's worth to me for it, I would sell it. A manual V12 Ferrari is not something I mind having around to play with. :p

ralfabco and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Just be happy you are not the guy or gal who paid $325K + TTL and financed a 360 F1, for eight anos.

BOKE likes this.
  5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    When did a 360 ever cost $325k?... :D

Robb

6. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    2000 at the height of the dot com bubble. I remember seeing F1 Spiders for $350k in DuPont registry.

To the OP question my take is the value of a 550 is never declining... the price may go up or down but you always end up with a gorgeous, high performance, and useable car that is special in every way. Price is what you pay value is what you get.

DOWORKFCAR, Il Tifoso and bruzzifumi like this.
  7. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I saw 360s flip for $50K over sticker when they started being delivered until the dotcom bust. $325K may have happened but anything could happen.

8. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Three more payments and it's all mine.:D

ralfabco likes this.
  9. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    There aren't any standard production Ferraris made in the past 35 years that are holding value right now. Time to buy.

Bottom feeders are grabbing up the junk. Well sorted cars priced above the bottom are easy pickings for long term collectors right now.

Testarossas, Marranellos, F430s, and early kalis all are priced the same. Plenty of choices for someone to get in the game starting for around $100K right now.

I have a 2004 575M and I am holding. I think the 575M was the last of an era.

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    Let the prices drop....I want one in every color!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Il Tifoso, Robb and BOKE like this.
  11. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Red convertible.

BOKE likes this.
  12. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    "A short quiz: If you plan to eat hamburgers throughout your life and are not a cattle producer, should you wish for higher or lower prices for beef? Likewise, if you are going to buy a car from time to time but are not an auto manufacturer, should you prefer higher or lower car prices? These questions, of course, answer themselves". Warren Buffett

someguy and F456M like this.
  13. Tim Riley

Tim Riley Rookie

Nov 3, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    T. R.
    #38 Tim Riley, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    From what I am seeing the 550's and 575 gated seem to be holding well. However the 575 F1 seems to be taking the brunt of the decline (as well as the 599/F12). 550's is excellent condition, lower mileage do not seem to be dropping much. Every time I see a 575 Gated they are normally in the 225+ range and seem to move as Ads go away. 550 Barchetta seems very solid. 575 SuperAmerica I have noticed a solid drop across the board and inventory (ie Ads, not going away). IMHO not dealer opinion.

14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I met an older gent in 2002ish on a FOLI event. He owned a publishing business and paid over 320K for his 360 convertible with F1. That is how nuts it was for latest/greatest back then.

ralfabco likes this.
  15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Folks did the same thing when the 599 came out. They were usually rich enough to where it did not hurt too much. Especially if they never did the math later.

16. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    people need to get past cars are investment stuff.....

i get a chuckle when i read the comments after a BaT on "this will be a $xxxxx car in X yrs"

if so why didnt you buy it....

think of all the **** that is locked up in garages not doing what it was designed to do

someguy, poljav, Graz and 7 others like this.
  17. Tim Riley

Tim Riley Rookie

Nov 3, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    T. R.
    I agree, great it it has a chance to increase or maintain value would be a big plus. That being said, the pure enjoyment is driving and owning (and the community of course). After all, what good is the extra money after we are dead.

wbklink likes this.
  18. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  19. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
  20. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #45 ralfabco, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    You can at least break even, if you are a bottom feeder and buy prudently. Yes, you have to take mechanical upkeep into account.

Buy a nice used gated 360, or a new Z-06. After you add up all of the receipts, the 360 will return more after four-six years of ownership.

If you really really don’t want to miss too many dimes - buy a 55,000 mile serviced driver

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

spot on
    the manual thing was totally over blown and now its back to reality

22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Right. So, reality is that manuals were cheaper than F1 cars when they were sold new, as F1 was an extra.

Manual 575s now trade for, what, double the price of F1s.

Tim Riley likes this.
  23. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Asking prices are certainly double. But many of these cars have been for sale at these levels since the Brexit vote or simply moved between dealers.

Sellers can ask what they like if they don't need to sell.

BarryK likes this.
  24. Tim Riley

Tim Riley Rookie

Nov 3, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    T. R.
    In the U.S. the manuals are still 2X the price as F1. I have seen some of the manuals being offered lower their price, but seeing the same with F1. I do not believe the Manuals hit a bubble, I think all are heading downward. The manuals are still preferred, IMHO.

25. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The UK/USA market differs when it comes to manual/F1's for a number of reasons.

Percentage of Manual to F1 is higher in the UK (more specifically the number of RHD cars many of which may have moved around the world).

In general there are far more manual cars in the UK, even today although the gap is closing rapidly. So driving a "stick" doesn't carry the same gravitas here as does in the USA. It's quite normal in fact.

That said, I prefer the manual 575 and the 550 by default - the main reason being I find the F1 box a complete chore when manouvering, reversing, parking etc. I quite happily drive modern autos on a daily basis and I think that's the problem for me. I own a torque converter auto and a dual clutch car, both of which are so far advanced over the F1 transmission that it just feels antiquated. Whereas the manual actually feels like a bit of an event.

All in my opinion of course.