replacement wheels for 400i | Page 4 | FerrariChat

replacement wheels for 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by stuarts, Mar 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Surely you're not serious ? Did you read the preceding post?

M

2. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    I just skimmed it.. Lots of talk about wheels, tires, spacers.. So I guess thats a no go eh?

3. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Correct, I've highlighted why Michelin made the tires in an odd size, so they could only fit wheels with the special bead design, unique to the TRX

Remember why Michelin 'invented' TRX. Their tires became industry standard for long wear but goodness they gave a harsh ride and if car was not designed for them it was harsh on the rest of suspension. So the 45 degree bead was their attempt for a nice ride and still have long wear. They had to go metric sizes because they feared tire shops putting a 90 degree bead tire on a TRX rim or vice versa. Tires would fall off the rims!

M

4. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    That makes sense.. I have two sets of Metric rims. I will post on ebay soon. They are so damn pretty. Its a shame......

Hopefully someone olse maybe a purist will see the value in them...

5. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I think the suggested harshness of ride was due to the fact that they were replacing considerably taller tyres. Before the TRX anything lower than a 70% profile tyre was outstanding and the Ferrari 400 was now running on 240/55VR415 Michelin TRX where initiallyit fitted 215/70VR15 Michelin XWX so it has lost nearly an inch in sidewall hieght, which is where the comfort comes from. Michelin counteracted this in some part with the clever rim profile, but what it did give them was the ability to put considerably more rubber in contact with the road and the lower side walls improved the ditrectional stability on cars like the 400 that were set up to suit them.

The good news is that most of the Michelin TRX Tyres are available again. Added to the fact you are keeping your car original you are running on Michelins. they are always top price tyres because of their quality. the directional stability is remarkable, the longevity is excellent, and they look great. The ones at Longstone now have a 2013 date code.

6. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    Has anyone that replaced their OEM metric wheels looked into having the stock wheels refinished first, or later? I'm ready for that step and looking for a west coast service provider.

7. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I looked into it a few years ago and found some suppliers through the other forums here but also many horror stories. I was a little freaked out that you do not know if they did a good job until a few years pass without any bubbling under the finish. So, I drive on Superformance 16's and my oem 15's sit in a corner silently corroding while I hope to hear of a reliable refinisher.
    p.s. I have a set of 415's to sell!

8. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    17" Avus
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N920I using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. jason blood

jason blood Rookie

Dec 15, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    jason blood
    Hold on- will testarossa wheels (tears are 10" wide) fit on a 400i? That would be amazing

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If you put testarossa suspension in it. And maybe a mini tub kit from summit racing.

rovexienus likes this.
  11. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #87 It's Ross, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Roll around wheels?
    Does anything readily available and cheap bolt on and the clear brakes? 108mm bolt circle is essentially 4 1/4", a common Ford pattern.
    Just to roll around while the TRXs are being refurbished.

13. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Bluroad
    Good luck selling one or two sets of TRX wheels on ebay or anywhere else. There are hundreds of them in back of garages. I sold my set to an antique dealer that planned to make 'man cave' glass top tables with them!
    Kewn

14. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I'd buy a set if I could find them.

15. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I just priced them on your site (because I need 5 TRX's and 4 XWX's) and although you offer free shipping you're $60/ tire more than Coker which surprised me. Any time I've needed a set of tires for a restoration I've bought them from you because the price couldn't be beat.

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

I did a quick check and found that although Coker was cheaper per tire, once you included their shipping cost to Canada + the pre-charging of the importation fees Longstone still was cheaper. As an example, 4 XWX 215/70/15 from Longstone is $1680 USD or $1887 (with Duty and taxes) USD compared to Coker's $1962 (with Duty and taxes) USD.

Also, I am unsure how the Canada/EU/UK Brexit issue affects the importation duty, as before items from the EU were duty exempt and if so then the tires could be 7% cheaper... I guess one would need to check with the transport Company's brokerage department to find out.

Cheers,

Sam

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I considered those details as I import parts on the regular basis from the US and overseas. There's been a jump in price since the last tire order.

19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

Sorry I misunderstood your comment. I thought it was about the overall cost as opposed to price bump itself. I do remember the prices to be lower, but to be fair I also seem to remember that those lower prices were a "special" pricing offer as opposed to their regular pricing. Who knows perhaps with Brexit the UK now has to pay importation duties on Michelin tires (I think these vintage tires are manufactured in France) and so these additional costs led to the price bump? I guess we will have to wait until Dougal/Longstone responds.

Cheers,

Sam

20. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I am based in France so the price I experience is normally not impacted by duties. I've noticed a few evolutions (price wise) during the last few months. My guess is that these evolutions were due to the change in the TRX design. A few months before the new tire was announced, TRX were advertised 380€ shipped, which was 10% cheaper than usual. Stockists were probably making room for the new tire. The price seems to be back to usual price ranges (400~420€).

There is a spanish seller (based in barcelona) that gets rids of TRX tires at a fairly reasonable price on ebay (383€ + international shipping), maybe he's got a stock with the old formula, but worth a look. Only 4 tires left...

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    They're made in Serbia. I install the tires with the "made in Serbia" facing inside.

22. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    that doesn't sound right.

Ring us up 00441302711123
    or email [email protected]

23. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Why? What do you have against Serbia?

24. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Serbia is supposed to produce Micheiin low added value tires, "made in the low added value plant" does not goes well with a Ferrari badge. Tax wise that's all the same though: Serbia is not member of the economical union, but they are replicating most of the regulation so as to give a chance to its no-tax zone(s) (approx 10 cities?). So whether it is produced in Pirot (Serbia) or La Roche Sur Yon (French plant closed in favour of Serbia) that's all the same.

If the price has gone up, tax is not the culprit. On the other hand they invested a bit of R&D on the new tires, which justifies a slight price bump. Better to have a more expensive updated tire than a discontinued one. On the plus side old stocks are now available for cheap.

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Personal preference, it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Just like I would prefer to see Made in USA rather than China, Taiwan or Indonesia when Im buying old Harley parts.