Where to get parts... also strut actuators | FerrariChat

Where to get parts... also strut actuators

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by TheZinger, Dec 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    #1 TheZinger, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Hi All,

I posted a few months back, having purchased my first Ferrari, a 1999 550. I absolutely love the car, and it just came back from the shop after having some little things attended to.

So there are a few little things I need to replace (hood shocks, little trim pieces, etc). I can do them myself and don't need to involve a shop for that, but what are the reputable parts houses for these vehicles? I've done the obligatory google search, but there are a bunch and I really can't tell one from the other. Additionally, using the hood shocks as an example, there is a massive spread in pricing. They don't disclose manufacturer, so are these parts all pretty much made by the same producers or are there cheap knockoffs I should be worried about?

One of the big discoveries that we made at the shop with that three of the four shock actuators are "frozen." As you all know, replacing these things will be thousands of dollars. They appear to be quite easy to remove and I've read about a few different rebuilders and rebuilding options. According to the records, the shop in Sarasota that previously serviced the vehicle has rebuilt these damn things twice in the past four years already. Obviously they're not doing it the right way. So a question for the brain trust out there:

-Who is the most reputable rebuilder of these actuators, and who does the most comprehensive work. The consensus seems to be http://www.captainzcnc.com/ ... is that still the case?
    -Is a rebuild guaranteed to resolve the issue, or are there other potential failures that could exist?

Oh... one more thing while I'm thinking about things... The headlights have a slight haze over them that I don't like. It's not the end of the world and can only be seen at certain angles, but I don't think this is something that can be taken out from the outside. Is there anyone with a good history who rebuilds these lights?

Thank you all so much. I'm looking forward to diving into this car. Gotta get the interior resprayed next - it was done once in the past and was just an average job.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    This site has parts sponsors and this section has an interchangeability thread - both are worth looking at

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    First thing is to find out just what caused the "Frozen" condition, This post from long ago might help.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/137952857/

4. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    Ah, I missed the interchange, that's great. Regarding the parts sponsors, I saw those, but there are an awful lot of them. Any of them known for being reputable and more reasonable than others?

THANK YOU for that thread. I was start work on this and see what I come up with.

5. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Ricambi for new Ferrari parts and parts from some reputable 3rd parties (Hill Engineering, for example) Daniel, who runs Ricambi is very helpful and involved with this community, and the diagrams on his site are the go-to standards for most of us on this side of the pond.

There are other specialized manufacturers and service companies who serve a narrow niche of the market, such as carbon fiber accessories, de-stickying buttons & interiors, etc. but for most parts, Ricambi is all you need to know.

6. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    THANK YOU.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  8. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    That is very interesting. The problem as I’ve heard it is that once you separate them a lot of the times it’s impossible to regain that proper seal and people wind up with condensation issues - hence my wondering if anyone does it professionally.

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

Kai,

Bill (Konadog06) did this several years ago for his 575M headlight assemblies without subsequent condensation problems. I'm sure he'll chime in. You can send him a private message as well. He'll be very helpful.

I've learned to live with my 550's slight hazing. It doesn't really effect nighttime lighting and, anyway, I can't see the hazing while I'm driving. :)

Barry

10. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    #10 wbklink, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Hi, my technician in Las Vegas has a couple of actuators I'll send you a private message with his phone number I have no idea what it cost to repair them.

but I think he wanted $450 each for his.

You're going to love your 550 ... I have 89,000 miles on mine :)

11. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    I'd certainly like to hear from him as to how he accomplished all that. I'll search for his username, perhaps he published a DIY?

It's a pet peeve of mine - I hate cloudy headlights. I only drive cars that I want to look at as I walk away from them, and the haze always draws my attention. :) It's not on the highest priority of things, but it is on my list. :)

12. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Key seems to be liberal application of Vaseline.... come to think of it that works for buying parts too

13. FrankieFourEyes

BANNED

Sep 3, 2019
    look in the parts crossover post, there are hood struts that work for $20 on amazon.

14. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hood struts can be changed by anyone in about 1 minute. Just use your hand to twist off or to pound off the old ones (doesn't matter if they break, does it?). Then just press on the new ones. Brace the hood with your shoulder or head.

15. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    My favorite aftermarket dealer is SPUK. Lots of good parts there.

Many non-driveline parts are NLA. There are a few breakers like GT Car Parts in AZ.

eBay is a good source too but usually expensive.

Many electrical parts are common European items like the window washer pump. You pay a lot less for the vw version than the one with the black horsey on the yellow box.

I’ve also fixed a lot of interior parts that are nla. The leather backing panels are fiberglass which is always an easy fix. Broken plastic parts can be repaired with epoxy, sanded and painted.