An EASIER way to do suspension bushings | Page 3 | FerrariChat

An EASIER way to do suspension bushings

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Birdman, Feb 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Maurice-
    I have to admit that on the Mondial, I have not gotten to the front bushings yet. If they are the same sized bushings (pretty sure they are) then YES you can do the same thing on the front. I know the 308 fronts are the same and you can do it on a 308 front.

Geekstreet-
    As to ride quality, I did my 308 with poly bushings last year and honestly, I can't tell the difference. I think the bushings have very little to do with the ride. It's much more a function of the condition of the shocks. Maybe the poly bushings transmit a little more road noise through the chassis due to their hardness, but I can't tell.

Birdman

2. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Thanks Birdman for the response.Another question I have asked in another thread is what are all the bushes needed for a 308 including front and rear A arms and sway bars and shock towers?I believe I read in another post from you that you did all this on another 308.Thanks in advance

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    There's no doubt that the 3x8 GTS/GTI & GT4s all use the same ES bushing p/n for inner bushings at all 4 wheel locations (16 in all).

Just haven't had a chance to check to see if the Mondial 8 & QV also use them in the front as well as rear.

4. marankie

marankie Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Agoura Hills, Calif
    Full Name:
    Martin
    BIRDMAN,
    You really write a nice clear step by step procedure. Way to go.

But the first end on my '75 308 gt4 that need busing replacement is the front end bushings.

Is the procedure for replacing the inner front bushings on my GT4 the same as your rear suspension busings? Are the ES bushing for the front the same size and part number as the rear?

How does it work for the bushings that are in the end of the Koni shocks?

Thanks in advance for your response.
    Martin Jansen
    [email protected]

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey Martin,
    Having never worked on a GT4, I can't be sure, however it is my understanding that the bushings on the GT4 are the same as the GTB/GTS. You can check by throwing a caliper on them. They should be 30 mm in outside diamater if they are the same.

As for the shocks, there is to my knowledge, currently no aftermarket bushing for the Konis. When I rebuilt my 308 suspension last year, I was unable to obtain anything aftermarket for those and I had to buy OEM shock bushings from Ferrari. I got them from Dennis McCann (www.allferrariparts.com) and they were $20 each (i.e. $40 per shock!!)

I am actually considering making some poly bushings for Konis shocks out of polyurethane for the next rebuild. Your query prompted me to do some investigating. I just got off the phone with Energy Suspension and they gave me an idea of the kind of material hardness to use to make Koni bushings.

Birdman

6. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    Birdman, Thanks for the post. You got me motivated to order my bushings from www.suspension.com. Lazarus may yet ride again!!

Bruce at suspension.com was very helpful. He mentioned your using the outer shell as well. He also recommended not using the goop provided by ES. He said that antiseaze lube for sparkplugs works better. He also recommended popping out the inner cylinder, which is apparently only held in place by a layer of urethane, and scuffing it with sandpaper and lubing this as well with antiseaze. Just thought I'd share.

What I really want to know is when one of you guys is going to step up and put together a 101 projects book for the 308, and/or a dvd series. I work on vettes mostly and Van Steel has a suspension video they peddle that was literally filmed by one guy holding a camcorder. I'm not knocking them because if you can get past the "not filmed by professionals" look their tips and step by step video is worth the $20. I don't know about the rest of the guys on here but I wouldn't mind paying $100/disc for some good videos. The savings at the shop would be thousands of dollars. Just my two cents.

Thanks again, you probably just saved me a thousand dollars easy on my suspension!!!

7. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #57 Zertec, Feb 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I'm collecting material for a 3x8 series service manual or 101 projects type book. Probably won't be done for a year or so tho.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Any word yet?

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    synchro,
    I think you're asking about progress on the 3x8 Service Manual.

While I continue to collect material as I do projects on my & other cars, I don't plan on starting the formal writing until I either negotiate a shorter work week, or else retire from my 8-6 job. I don't see either of these happening for at least 2-3 years.

Once I start, I expect the book will take about a year to write. One of the things I'd like to do is document complete engine & transmission rebuilds.

I'm sorry if I implied it was coming sooner.

12. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    As an interesting update....they are now selling the ES suspension bushings without the metal shell for people who want to do it the "Birdman Way". I guess they read Fchat!

http://www.suspension.com/ferrari.htm

Birdman

13. johnhunt

johnhunt Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2013
    Washington
    Full Name:
    John Hunt
    Just did my fronts. The guys at Suspension told me anti-seize was far better and longer lasting then the paraffin based wax they might typically provide.

Also, if you car has original bushes you don't need to use a sawzall to get the inner bit out. The metal end of the bushing is simply crimped in place. I used a screwdriver and just popped the ends off... added a small amount of heat and the rubber slid out. This was NOT the case with newer bushes that required a little more effort (1/2 my bush's had been replaced by PO earlier sometime). But the old stuff was easy.

I think I will save the rears for next winter.

14. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Wow, great write up that I just happened to find!
    My 2 cents: If you are already too crowded for space in your garage to squeeze in a hydraulic press, but you have a car lift, put a car on the lift and you can use the lift as a giant, but effective, press. You can also use it to do some minor metal and tube bending, and I bolt the big top die of my English wheel to it, and have the lower die on a pedestal... makes a nice stable frame and again, not further cluttering up the work space with a big English wheel frame. It's also a floor wax and a dessert topping!!

15. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    One other way to get bushings out is using a propane torch. Melts the bushing and it falls out.

Bo

16. Arthbkins

Arthbkins Rookie

Jul 10, 2018
  17. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    It has been discussed on this forum more than once. If you replace the original Ferrari rubber bushings, with stiffer plastic? The chassis mounts take more of a beating. Something to consider

18. Arthbkins

Arthbkins Rookie

Jul 10, 2018
    I didn’t mean to embark on the existential debate of poly vs rubber (as this whole thread is a poly thread). More just asking if anyone has used these Nick Forza polygraphite bushings instead of the Energy Suspension polyurethane ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Curious as to why you brought up such an old thread when there are several more recent ones. Or just start a new one.

Material technologies and availabilities have changed since 2005.

20. Arthbkins

Arthbkins Rookie

Jul 10, 2018
    It was the most applicable thread I found to poly A arm bushing replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  22. Arthbkins

Arthbkins Rookie

Jul 10, 2018